Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2017, 21:20   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Booked a jazz v cvt. It is shod with Michelins. Dealer says, will charge 3100 per tire to replace these with 195/60/15 Michelin xm2. Says we'll change the spare too (free alloy thrown in) ( I.E. totally 15500). Is it a good deal worth going in for? If I don't go for the package and just ask him to change the alloy to a 15 incher? Anyone with any idea of the cost of the oem alloy?
Dear handsofsteel,

Congrats on your booking! Honestly, you are lucky to get Michelins OEM with your new V CVT!

3100/- per tyre as a replacement to Michelin itself seems unreasonable to me. But if you get an OEM alloy (hopefully as good as new to sit in the boot) included, then it makes some sense. But consider that the dealer might ask you to trade the brand new 14" non-alloy spare for the OEM alloy (in which case, it isn't absolutely free).

The cost of OEM 15" alloy wheel is INR 6100/- (as of April '16). Yes, this is a good ~2500/- cheaper than the Honda genuine accessories 15" alloy for Honda City and as much as ~5000/- than that(dual color tone) for Honda Jazz 2015. Why? I never could get a valid justification for it. The point is you cannot buy an extra OEM alloy wheel since there isn't any counter sale. You can get one only as a replacement to any of the 4 installed in case there happens to be an issue. The OEM supplier for both main line as well as the accessories line is Enkei. Thanks!

Cheers,
Simmi

Last edited by Nohonking : 9th May 2017 at 21:45.
Nohonking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 07:38   #107
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Dear handsofsteel,

3100/- per tyre as a replacement to Michelin itself seems unreasonable to me. But if you get an OEM alloy (hopefully as good as new to sit in the boot) included, then it makes some sense. But consider that the dealer might ask you to trade the brand new 14" non-alloy spare for the OEM alloy (in which case, it isn't absolutely free).
true, he's asking me to trade in. He's paying 3900 per fitted Michelin tyre. As per him, the 195s are 7000/ tyre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
The cost of OEM 15" alloy wheel is INR 6100/- (as of April '16). Yes, this is a good ~2500/- cheaper than the Honda genuine accessories 15" alloy for Honda City.
The point is you cannot buy an extra OEM alloy wheel since there isn't any counter sale. You can get one only as a replacement to any of the 4 installed in case there happens to be an issue. The OEM supplier for both main line as well as the accessories line is Enkei. Thanks!
so, the trade in is the only way I can get an alloy in the boot?
Thanks

Last edited by handsofsteel : 10th May 2017 at 07:39.
Old 10th May 2017, 15:47   #108
BHPian

A month back, when I was looking to replace my car's tyres, XM2 195/60 R15 was quoted around 6200 or so in Chennai. P3 ST was quoted at 6600. 7000 seems a high price for XM2.

Quote:
true, he's asking me to trade in. He's paying 3900 per fitted Michelin tyre. As per him, the 195s are 7000/ tyre.

Thanks
altius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 19:45   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Yes my friend. No other way to get the 5th piece of identical alloy wheel.

On another note, I do not see any real value in having the 5th alloy wheel (but for mental satisfaction). Why? Simple, being tubeless tyres, its the rarest of a rare case when the tyre is completely flat and needs replacement before moving any further. The spare tyre in my Oct 2015 Jazz V MT is lying brand new and unused (luckily no punctures till date). In my dad's 2008 City, although there have had been a few punctures, still the spare tyre is brand new sleeping in boot (never had to use it) since at every occasion, it wasn't fully flat and we could run the car to the nearby puncture repair guy. Thanks.
Nohonking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 23:41   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Booked a jazz v cvt. It is shod with Michelins. Dealer says, will charge 3100 per tire to replace these with 195/60/15 Michelin xm2. Says we'll change the spare too (free alloy thrown in) ( I.E. totally 15500). Is it a good deal worth going in for? If I don't go for the package and just ask him to change the alloy to a 15 incher? Anyone with any idea of the cost of the oem alloy?
Hi, just to give you a perspective, as soon as I received my V CVT(March 2017), I replaced the Goodyear tyres with Michelin Primacy 3ST's(195/60) from a Michelin dealer in Gurgaon at 13k( for 4 tires). Note that the 3ST's were about 600-700 rupees costlier than XM2's for each tyre.
I'm not sure if that fifth alloy would be worth, but if you choose the offer anyway, ask your dealer to at least upgrade the tyres to 3ST's.
Also I would suggest you to ask around for the exchange price from some tyre dealers around your place.
jaysonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 20:40   #111
BHPian

Finally, my 2011 Jazz has received a new set of shoes - Michelin Energy XM2 195/60/R15's!

The car came shod with 175/65 MRF's from the factory. The whole set lasted ~43k km, at which point two tyres had become completely bald and were replaced with same size Bridgestones. So the car at 49k km was running on two nearly new Bridgestones, one decent MRF (must have been the spare, which was pressed into service when the Bridgestones were added), and two nearly bald MRF's!

Got 4 new Michelins from the local dealer (Tyre India, Thiruvalla, Kerala) for 6000/- a piece, with WA/WB thrown in free! Had to pay 275/- extra for the weights though. Primacy 3 ST in the mentioned size were going for 6400/- per tyre. Stuck to XM 2's as I was super happy with XM 2's I'd put on my Santro Xing almost 6 months ago!

Changes noticed after the upgrade:

- Looks fantastic! Fills the wheel arches well! Had never realised how under-tyred the Jazz had looked all this while!
- Road noise has come down drastically!
- Ride height has increased noticeably, even though the calculator shows only a few mm increase in diameter.
- Ride is super-soft, my Jazz has never ridden this well, even when brand new!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 21:44   #112
BHPian

I can understand an upgrade from 175/65 to 195/60 for say a 5-year old Jazz. For a new car, though, I wonder if it doesn't affect the warranty. I see from some of the above posts that dealers offer upgrades (to tire sizes, besides the brand).

Back in 2012 when we purchased our car we were of the opinion (or told, perhaps, don't remember) that a tire size change would void the warranty. Don't know if that is still the case.
Old 25th July 2017, 19:19   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Finally, my 2011 Jazz has received a new set of shoes - [b]Michelin Energy XM2 195/60/R15's!
Geo_Ipe, could you post a couple of snaps post the change? I am also looking at getting some new shoes for my Jazz but am not sure on the size. Mind says 185/65/R15 but heart says 195/60/R15 - The 185 section mainly due to the added ground clearance that it would provide over the stock size.
Old 29th July 2017, 19:29   #114
BHPian

Hi Guys! New to Team BHP.

I'm looking to change the stock MRF 175/65/r15 tyres with xm2 195/60/R15 on my 2012 Jazz. Will the stock spare be compatible with 195/60 XM2 if I ever need to use it.

Last edited by moh1t : 29th July 2017 at 19:50.
Old 1st August 2017, 08:39   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moh1t View Post

I'm looking to change the stock MRF 175/65/r15 tyres with xm2 195/60/R15 on my 2012 Jazz. Will the stock spare be compatible with 195/60 XM2 if I ever need to use it.
Welcome to Team BHP, moh1t!

Regards your question, if you don't make changes to your suspension (or any other related changes) after the upgrade, then yes, you can replace them with the stock if you need to.

You will of course need to ensure that all tires are of the same type (either 175/65/r15 or 195/60/R15). It is never recommended to use different types of tires with each other, even if the difference 'appears' small.
CowlFlap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 23:56   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moh1t View Post

Just to update, I finally ended up buying 195/60/R15 Primacy Primacy 3 ST for 6000/tyre from Mahavir in Vasant Kunj, Delhi. WB was free, while WA was checked with a thread (not sure how accurate that is).

The noise is down considerably. There is a minimal impact on fuel economy, about .5km/litre approx. Could be placebo also, I haven't measured very carefully.

The only thing I strongly feel apart from noise reduction is the drop in acceleration. I feel the "zippyness" (for lack of a better word) has reduced quite a bit, not that it had a lot of it to begin with.
Old 2nd November 2017, 01:09   #117
BHPian

Hey all,

Looking at replacing my GY TripleMax tyres @ 22k km. Here's a bit of a backstory:
- Picked up a Jazz V MT in Dec 2015 and they offered MRFs standard. Not sure if I made the right call, but asked the showroom to replace it to Goodyears (felt these would perform better than the ZVTV) which they did at no extra cost.
- 13k km down I had a pretty bad puncture on the way back from Goa. Got it repaired and when the tyre showed signs of concern, got it replaced at 17k km. Fitted a new GY TripleMax from the good folks at Popular in Malad, Mumbai. The owner asked me to replace my tyres before 20K km because GY lasts "max 25k km" without hassles as per him. (in retrospect, feel stupid for not taking his advice)
- Now, I'm seeing a puncture every 2 months which is bothersome. The one I just got fixed today is owing to bad sidewall damage (flying rocks on the highway I presume).
- Planning a road trip to Goa later this month and I'm sure I don't want to be standing by the side of the road fixing my tyre again instead of knocking back a couple of cold ones.

So, 2 questions:
1. Which tyres should I go for? I'd wanna run at least 40--45 km of long drives with the new shoes. No upgrades I guess - I'll stick to the 175/65s.
2. Any reccos for good shops in Mumbai besides Popular? They seem good but a bit on the higher side with price.

Cheers!
Old 6th November 2017, 10:18   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershlulla View Post
So, 2 questions:
1. Which tyres should I go for? I'd wanna run at least 40--45 km of long drives with the new shoes. No upgrades I guess - I'll stick to the 175/65s.
2. Any reccos for good shops in Mumbai besides Popular? They seem good but a bit on the higher side with price.
Might be finalizing at Bombay Tyres @ Milan Subway, Santacruz.

Conflicted on XM2/Earth 1 - heard the XM2s are more prone to damage on Indian roads? Not sure

Also, does an upsize to 185/65 work without a hitch? Clueless noob here.
Old 6th November 2017, 14:21   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershlulla View Post
Might be finalizing at Bombay Tyres @ Milan Subway, Santacruz.

Conflicted on XM2/Earth 1 - heard the XM2s are more prone to damage on Indian roads? Not sure

Also, does an upsize to 185/65 work without a hitch? Clueless noob here.

I have the XM2 and the ride is really soft & smooth. Instead of up-sizing to 185/65, I prefer 195/60 & then you can opt for Primacy 3ST which are the best in that section with no much impact to your FE
Old 6th November 2017, 15:09   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkikewl View Post
I have the XM2 and the ride is really soft & smooth.
How long have you had them for? Also, any punctures/damage or issues with the sidewall? That's my biggest concern looking at how the BMC in Mumbai is working hand-in-glove with manufacturers to boost sales for replacement tyres. Just don't want to pick a good set of XM2s and then feel terrible at having to cough up more money in another 10-15K kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks