Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2017, 10:16   #121
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershlulla View Post
How long have you had them for? Also, any punctures/damage or issues with the sidewall? That's my biggest concern looking at how the BMC in Mumbai is working hand-in-glove with manufacturers to boost sales for replacement tyres. Just don't want to pick a good set of XM2s and then feel terrible at having to cough up more money in another 10-15K kms.
Its been close to 3 years & have driven around 25K on those XM2s. Didn't face any problems yet ( fingers crossed ).Most of my drive is regular office commute & occasional highway drives.
Old 8th November 2017, 21:03   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershlulla View Post
Conflicted on XM2/Earth 1 - heard the XM2s are more prone to damage on Indian roads?

Also, does an upsize to 185/65 work without a hitch? Clueless noob here.
Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20171107_123000.jpg
The sidewall damage that prompted me to contemplate a full set replacement.

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20171107_123025.jpg
Wear on one of the Goodyear's that ran about 22K km.

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20171107_123147.jpg
Profile of the GY TripleMax 175/65s

Update: Went with Earth 1, 185/65s. The owner recommended this strongly over XM2 considering how bad Mumbai roads get every now and then. He said the XM2s are definitely the better tyre, but more susceptible to damage. Earth 1 is a more rugged tyre even though the ride quality won't be the greatest after a couple of years.

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20171107_152131.jpg
The GY TripleMax and Yoko Earth 1 next to each other. Evident difference in width and height.

Tyres were fairly new, 2017-make. At 4850 a pop compared to the 5.5K for the 185/65 XM2s, more bang for the back. Happy feeling like I've driven the wedge between wants and needs here. Maslow, in your face!

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_1917.jpg
The front wheel looks fuller.

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_1920.jpg
Wider too.

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_1921.jpg
Meaner with a bit more weight, much better-looking.

First Impressions (from my 10 km drive back home)
Ride quality is SO much better, and gives a slightly elevated feel. Me likey Grips better too. All in all, happy with the purchase!

Yet to figure how this affects FE or highway running. Will update after my next long trip in end-November 2017.
hershlulla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 18:45   #123
BHPian

An update on my Michelin Primacy3 ST 195/60 R15 88V on my Honda Jazz. It has been about 22K KMs on the change and they are running smooth with not a single trouble at all till date. The car still glides through rough patches. I still get about 14 KMPL in city traffic so mileage has not dropped, nor increased. A big thumbsup to the upgrade.

PS: the 2010 Jazz had a different quality make altogether. It has been 7 years and still zero rattles.
Old 21st November 2017, 15:28   #124
BHPian

Guys, Need your suggestion. I need to replace my stock tyres on Honda Jazz X 2011 model. It has run for a good 6 years, about 50000 kms.

In terms of usage about 25% on Highways and balance on City Roads. I have been reading the thread and yet to form an opinion. However, am drifting towards Continental. I also see that 195/60 R15 tyres are a good option instead of the stock size.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th December 2017, 11:51   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaren View Post
Guys, Need your suggestion. I need to replace my stock tyres on Honda Jazz X 2011 model. It has run for a good 6 years, about 50000 kms.

In terms of usage about 25% on Highways and balance on City Roads. I have been reading the thread and yet to form an opinion. However, am drifting towards Continental. I also see that 195/60 R15 tyres are a good option instead of the stock size.

Thanks in advance.
Finally got tires changed !! I have gone in for Apollo Alnac 4G and upgraded to 195 60. I can feel a lot more traction, feel. And on patches of smooth roads (tarred without any pot holes, real smooth roads) that extend upto 1 to 2 kms the ride quality has dramatically changed for the positive. And on these smooth patches, it is difficult to believe that the vehicle hits 60+ kmph so quickly, even if for a short distance, plastering my face with a huge smile
Old 4th July 2018, 22:40   #126
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I just upgraded the wheels from a Neo dealer at Nerul and got into serious trouble. Please bear with me with the long story

Original oem tire spec: Goodyear triple max 175/60 R15 ( 1 yr 3 months old, 4800 kms ). Very happy with the GY’s. Provides good wet grip, mileage, warranty and more than sufficient for my city use. I’ve no plans to upgrade the tires and most probably my next replacement will be with the same tire itself.

After upgrading the wheels and on my way back from dealership, I did feel something was wrong but I thought it must be due to the new set up. I liked how the the steering felt a bit tight . But on rough roads I could feel the vibrations on the steering wheel and it was worse than the OEM set up (on steel wheels)

Next day I planned a trip to Lonavala but I had to abort it mid-way due to instability. Sometimes car was getting thrown around on bad roads. I realized there is some issue on the new tire set up itself

I researched a bit. Got the specs from NEO website and compared it with the Honda steel wheel dimension. Everything except the wheel width were same. I found a table which relates rim width to tire dimension. For 7J rim, the minimum tire spec is 195mm and ideal would be 205. Later researched a bit on tire stretch. I contacted the dealer next day itself and told him about this issue. He did a test drive at high speed for few seconds (135 km/hr) and told this setup does not have any issue. I told him about the wheel rim specs but he is refusing to accept his mistake and told me many people do this (running 175mm on 7J rims).

Today at 5070 kms (after 271 kms), I reverted to original steel rims. The car is stable and the handling is much better. I checked every aspect except for the rim width which I was not aware off.

Name:  seqEvents.PNG
Views: 7987
Size:  50.7 KB

With this setup, the rim gets easily damaged as the side wall is not bulging out. Tire has to be always inflated at high pressure.
https://www.rimringz.com/tire-too-wide-or-too-narrow/ .

1. Has anyone tried 175mm rims on 7J alloys?

2. I spend around 24k for the rims. How can I get the wheels exchanged from Neo with 6J when no one is responding?

3. The dealer showed me few pic of alloys and told me that all R15 wheels don’t fit Jazz. I selected one from the lot. As the alloy designs were already shortlisted by dealer and I was not aware of width parameter, I did not think much. All the alloys were similarly priced. Shouldn’t the dealer tell me that 175mm tire is not ideal for 7J. I would have selected a wheel with 6J as I did not have any intention to upsize the tire.

4. Can I submit this issue at consumer court ? I've all my bills and whatsapp communication. I even collected the bill today when I reverted back to original.

Please provide me pointers

Few more pics:
1. Side wall profile view
2. Back to original set up
3. Alloy wheel design
4. damaged on unpaved section
5. Front wheel sticking out on 7J alloys. Can someone share pics of 195/60 R15 on 7J rims ?
6. Rim width comparison 175mm on 5.5J vs 7J
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-sidewall.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-backtoorig.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rims.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-damaged.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-protruding.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by rahulskumar : 4th July 2018 at 22:57. Reason: adding more details
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 00:09   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Hi Guys,

I just upgraded the wheels from a Neo dealer at Nerul and got into serious trouble. Please bear with me with the long story
Hello Rahul,

Very sorry to hear the utter mental trauma you seem to have been through. Please, for the benefit of the forum, do drop in the name of the dealer from Nerul who suggested you the wheels.

I had put 7.5J on my Scorpio and then it was protruding out. The variation between OEM wheel width and 7J is sizable. Notwithstanding that, please be cautioned that 175 section tyres are abysmally under tyred for 7J alloys, as can be seen on the third last picture you have uploaded. Ofcourse due diligence was not exercised by both parties, so that's not a solution.

If you know the dealer personally, you can bargain a deal of 6J alloys (which are far and few). Your second option is to buy a suitable alloys, because your tyres look good. And sell these ones on OLX or open market. What is not an option is to drive in these.

Ps. Pls dont put 205s. You can try to put 195/60 R15 on the existing alloys.
Overlander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 06:49   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Pls dont put 205s. You can try to put 195/60 R15 on the existing alloys
205 is out of question , I'm not even planning 195 as my car is just a year old and I still have 3 more years of warranty left. Mine is CVT

I believe without informing the customer and fitting 175 mm tires on 7J alloys is totally unprofessional. As a customer, I made sure that the rim size is still r15 but the remaining details should be take care by the dealer or atleast inform me before the fitment ( as this is safety issue )

As per NEO, as the wheels are fitted they cant do anything. My question is unless the alloys are fitted and taken out on the freeways, how would a customer know about the impending issues. NEO is not even acknowledging via emails, I really dont know how good they are in handling warranty issues.
Old 5th July 2018, 11:00   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After upgrading the wheels and on my way back from dealership, I did feel something was wrong but I thought it must be due to the new set up. I liked how the the steering felt a bit tight . But on rough roads I could feel the vibrations on the steering wheel and it was worse than the OEM set up (on steel wheels)

Next day I planned a trip to Lonavala but I had to abort it mid-way due to instability. Sometimes car was getting thrown around on bad roads. I realized there is some issue on the new tire set up itself
Rahul,

Could you share more details on the problem ?
Did you try to reduce the air pressure and check

7J is definitely too much for a 175 tire, the tire dealer should have suggested for a tire upgrade as well.

Assuming few things, I would say the problem is due to the combination of different Offset and width.

Possible solutions :
1. Sell these alloys and get stock steel rims.
2. Sell these alloys and get OEM Honda wheels.

Going to court will not yield anything here. IMHO
Old 5th July 2018, 12:18   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Rahul,

Could you share more details on the problem ?
Did you try to reduce the air pressure and check

7J is definitely too much for a 175 tire, the tire dealer should have suggested for a tire upgrade as well.

Assuming few things, I would say the problem is due to the combination of different Offset and width.

Possible solutions :
1. Sell these alloys and get stock steel rims.
2. Sell these alloys and get OEM Honda wheels.

Going to court will not yield anything here. IMHO

Reducing air pressure wont work in this set up. The tire stays properly on these wheels due to high air pressure and with no sidewall the complete impact will be borne by the wheels

Yes, I reverted back to original steel rims after 4 days. Up sizing is out of question as the provided 175mm tires are enough for my purpose. Even I wont get any buy back value on 5k driven tires and I really dont want to spend another 24K for 195/60. Dealer should have informed me about upsizing and I would have selected any of their 6J rims, but he did not and went ahead by fitting undersized tires on these wheels.

Anyway I've lost the money. I have send out 6 emails to NEO and no response from them till date. I had won replacement device from HTC few years back. The process takes time but if your documentation is proper and genuine, you can win.
Old 5th July 2018, 13:19   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I reverted back to original steel rims after 4 days. Up sizing is out of question as the provided 175mm tires are enough for my purpose.
You did right thing by changing it back to steel rim. As mentioned by others options are

1. Getting the wheels exchanged with a lower width wheel
2. Keep alloy wheels safe and when you change tire go for bigger one

Thank god that you did not do any long distance journey with your new set up. It is extremely dangerous especially if you are driving on bad pot holed road. You will end up with a tire side wall cut.

My car had similar issue when I changed my OE steel wheels to alloy, and result was really scary.

First instance:
Ended up with two tire side wall cut (Left front and rear) in the middle of nowhere inside Coorg forest area with no mobile network that too @ 3 AM. When two tires are damaged, you do not have any other option but wait till next day morning. Luckily my 3 friends were travelling with me.

Second instance:
This time it was right front and rear tires side wall damage. Location again was Coorg forest area, no mobile coverage, and time was around 3 AM. This time too I had two friends with me (plus my naughty dog). We waited till next day morning (8AM) to get the tires replaced.

I would say you are very lucky and did not face any issue like me

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th July 2018 at 13:25.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 14:45   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reducing air pressure wont work in this set up. The tire stays properly on these wheels due to high air pressure and with no sidewall the complete impact will be borne by the wheels

Good to know that you have shifted back to Steel rims.
In future, if you have any plans of getting alloys, get the OEM Honda wheels.

Just curious to know.
1. What pressure were your running with Neo alloys ?
2. Do you have the Neo alloy specs. Offset ?
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 15:37   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

Just curious to know.
1. What pressure were your running with Neo alloys ?
2. Do you have the Neo alloy specs. Offset ?

1. NEO dealer filled 36/38 PSI. I think the tires would have got damaged or popped off if it was filled within the specs (31/32 )
2. Attaching the image for specs
Attached Images

Last edited by rahulskumar : 5th July 2018 at 15:38. Reason: adding details
Old 6th July 2018, 17:28   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Hello Rahul,

Please, for the benefit of the forum, do drop in the name of the dealer from Nerul who suggested you the wheels.

Balaji Wheels ( Nerul ). There is no response from him nor NEO wheels. I wonder how they acknowledge lifetime structural warranty.
Old 16th July 2018, 11:06   #135

Recently one of the rear tyres had a nasty puncture when the vehicle was under full load. The culprit was a 2 inch bolt. I stopped the vehicle immediately, and luckily there was a local puncture repair shop nearby. No matter how much he tried, he could not get the bolt out. I finally asked him to replace it with the spare tyre as we were late to attend a family function.

After getting home I took out the wheel and managed to take out the bolt with a spanner and some effort. On closer analysis, I found that the bolt had caused a side wall tear as well very close to the rim (pictures attached).

My tyres were towards the end of their life anyways, so now I'm looking for changing the tyres and I have a few queries regarding the same. I'm looking to upsize from the current 175/65 R15 to 195/60 R15 and will go for Michelin P3ST most probably. My question is regarding the spare tyre.

I'm thinking of changing the spare tyre to a 15 inch steel rim and one of my tyres is about 1 year old 175/65 R15 XM2 (had to replace it due to a side wall tear in my parking). Is it safe to reuse that tyre for the spare and put in four new upsized tyres. The concern is that it shouldn't cause any instabilities if the spare is used in rotation.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20180714_111645256.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20180714_111650076.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20180714_111953455.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20180714_112335195.jpg  

singhal.kul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks