Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2006, 17:20   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Tyre Noise

Hi Everybody,

I rotated tyres of my Versa a week back.The car has done 32000kms and it was approx.9000 kms since the last rotation.Ever since I am beginning to get a wierd noise from the front wheels(can't exactly say which one).This noise starts even when the car does 20 kmph but remains steady even at higher speeds.Some observations:

1. I bought this vehicle when it had done 20000 kms.The tyre on the left front wheel(which was earlier on the rear right) has worn out more on one side than on teh other side and center.All other tyres are seeing more or less even wear.

2.The spare tyre has also been put into rotation.Though the tyre tread is very good , I can see some "khaddaas" on the side treads , possible because the wheels were not balanced earlier.

Question: Could this noise be due to uneven tyre wear on the left front tyre and the "khaddaas" on the right front wheel?

The sequence of tyre rotation is spare--right front--right rear--left front--left rear--spare .as per manufacturer's recommendation.Is this OK for a rear drive vehicle?
Old 1st July 2006, 18:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

What brand and model tyres do you have? Do they have a unidirectional tread pattern?

cya
R
Old 1st July 2006, 18:16   #3
BHPian

this type of problem just cannot occur due to tyre rotation.
it has to be a problem somewhere in the shocker/suspension setup.

get your wheels aligned and balanced at some reputed shop and check out for any damage to front bearings too.

also i just didn't understood wat are those khaddaas?
is your front tyres' sidewall touching the bay while taking full turns?
Old 1st July 2006, 19:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Revharder,

There could be an increase in tyre noise if he is running unidirectional tyres the wrong way (which would happen with his rotation).

The khaddas he is talking about is probably what they term as "feather edging". Might be due to bad suspension, (common on some Tata cars.)

cya
R
Old 1st July 2006, 21:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

What about wheel bearings? I've heard whining noises from cars that have had wheel bearing problems. Get that checked too.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd July 2006, 10:13   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Tyre Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Revharder,

There could be an increase in tyre noise if he is running unidirectional tyres the wrong way (which would happen with his rotation).

The khaddas he is talking about is probably what they term as "feather edging". Might be due to bad suspension, (common on some Tata cars.)

cya
R
The tyres are the factory originals - Bridgestone 155/80R13LT(think they are called L607).I do not understand what unidirectional tyres mean.Can you advise on this?

The khaddas are uneven surface of the tyre tread towards the tyre edges.I believe these could have been caused by not balancing the wheels(by the last owner) between purchase of vehicle and 21000 kms.I has the wheels balanced at 23000 but by then these "khaddaas" were already there.

As regards the suspension,it is in super shape..so no doubts about that.
Old 3rd July 2006, 14:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

Vigsom,

Is the noise a tyre/road kinda noise or something different?

Heres a link to help you understand Unidirectional and Asymmetrical Tyresl

cya
R
Old 4th July 2006, 11:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Tyre Noise

Yes Rehaan, the noise is tyre noise only...I've ensured the bearings are all OK.In fact , prior to rotaion of tyres this noise was very low..Post rotation it has increased..possibly because the spare wheel is now in action in teh front.

Thanks for the link.My tyres are multidirectional(Bridgestone L607 155/80R13LT)
Old 4th July 2006, 11:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Tyre Noise

I have also felt this noise sitting in my boss' Baleno VXi which is maintained like gold(by both the owner and his driver).This car has done approx. 31000 kms and a similar noise is experienced..would attribute it to tyres only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks