Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 17:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Staggered setup on a Peted Laura TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I don't know about the other options but a set up with wider front tires doesn't exactly look good, a square set up would look much better.
Thanks for the reply batterylow, but i have H&R 20mm wheel spacers at the rear, so i suppose it will match up with the wider front and slimmer rear tyres, if opted for it. And about the looks, i am not much concerned as my priority right now is to get a good setup, which will bring out the true potential of the modifications.
Old 14th May 2017, 10:15   #17
BHPian

Larger front tyres than rear or vice-a-versa, for a FWD car.

The car being a petrol Lancer, presently shod with 185/70r14 Turanza ER60, excellent condition with plenty of tread left but still considering a tyre change with below options and seeking expert opinion ...

1> Replace all 4 with same size, maybe MRF ZLO that will give me a softer ride, lesser tyre noise and shorter braking distance but more body roll and fear of punchurs?

2> Replace just the front tyres with 175/70r14, effectively lose 5mm GC at the front; fine with me since stock GC is 185mm + 2mm that was added later. Benefits = peppier drive, lighter steering, improved FE but increased braking distance.

3> Replace just the rear tyres with 175/70r14, lose 5mm GC at the rear; may scrape the bottom at full load over speed breakers. Benefits = less chances of aqua-planing and fish-tailing.

What other pros and cons am I missing, please comment.
Old 16th May 2017, 04:32   #18
BHPian

Re: Larger front tyres than rear or vice-a-versa, for a FWD car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
The car being a petrol Lancer, presently shod with 185/70r14 Turanza ER60, excellent condition with plenty of tread left but still considering a tyre change with below options and seeking expert opinion ...

1> Replace all 4 with same size, maybe MRF ZLO that will give me a softer ride, lesser tyre noise and shorter braking distance but more body roll and fear of punchurs?

2> Replace just the front tyres with 175/70r14, effectively lose 5mm GC at the front; fine with me since stock GC is 185mm + 2mm that was added later. Benefits = peppier drive, lighter steering, improved FE but increased braking distance.

3> Replace just the rear tyres with 175/70r14, lose 5mm GC at the rear; may scrape the bottom at full load over speed breakers. Benefits = less chances of aqua-planing and fish-tailing.

What other pros and cons am I missing, please comment.
Hi, no expert here, rather been following yours and few other's Lancer/Cedia owners thread (which are pretty few nowadays :-( ) to have my notes.

Are the above mentioned points are the sole reason for you to change the tyres?
I understand you might be sticking with 70% profile for the ride comfort, but 185/70 is an overkill and I wonder if it scrubs the wheel well and the fender liners.

Are you having the OE 14" alloys or aftermarket ones with different J and ETs?
Do you have +2 mm gc in the rear too?

I felt best with the 185/60 on the OE 14 "ers w.r.t ride and steering feedback on pot-hole ridden Bangalore roads and Bombay-Pune roads.

Sharing a link with wheel and tyre configuration done for the Lancer specs:
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...-60-14X5.5ET46

P.S: Please share some pics of your Lancer in the appropriate threads.
Presently, I am running 195/60 on 15", it shows up (approx) same speedo reading as the GPS.
Old 16th May 2017, 09:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
I understand you might be sticking with 70% profile for the ride comfort, but 185/70 is an overkill and I wonder if it scrubs the wheel well and the fender liners.
No, they don't.
The car came stock with 175/80r13 (SLXi model 2001) with 185mm GC.
When it was time to change tyres there wasn't a 80's profile tyre available in the market so I had to upsize the alloys to 14 inch and then fit them with 185/70r14. This resulted in +2mm GC overall.

Quote:
Are you having the OE 14" alloys or aftermarket ones with different J and ETs?
OE alloys were 13", PCD=100, ET=45 and Width=5.5J
The Swift-Dzire 14" OE alloys (below) were a perfect match and that is what I have presently.
Square vs Staggered setup-swift_dzire_oe_wheel.jpg

Quote:
]Presently, I am running 195/60 on 15"
Isn't that an overkill? You run the risk of aqua-planing and also running heavy footed.
Old 24th May 2017, 23:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I felt best with the 185/60 on the OE 14 "ers w.r.t ride and steering feedback on pot-hole ridden Bangalore roads and Bombay-Pune roads.

P.S: Please share some pics of your Lancer in the appropriate threads.
Presently, I am running 195/60 on 15", it shows up (approx) same speedo reading as the GPS.
195/60R15 is the perfect upsize for GLX/SLX/LE models with OEM 13" wheels and GC of 185. I run them now for 10 years, and still running great. Nearing 150k km on the ODO.
I adjusted ET to ET+40 instead of +46 OEM while getting the alloys to allow a bit more margin for the wider rims I put in...
Old 2nd October 2020, 08:27   #21
BHPian

Hi All,

Ive currently installed Cobra lowering springs in my Baleno.

But, due to 7.5J rims and 55 inch profile rubber, the wheels touch the wheel well when the car is fully loaded.

So now my question to you all is, whether can I go for a staggered setup?

I'm thinking of replacing the rear 55 profile with 50 inch profile.

So, it will look like below.

205/55 R16 - Front
205/50 R16 - Rear

Please help.

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 2nd October 2020 at 08:29.
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:32   #22
BHPian

Re: Square vs Staggered setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi All,

Ive currently installed Cobra lowering springs in my Baleno.

But, due to 7.5J rims and 55 inch profile rubber, the wheels touch the wheel well when the car is fully loaded.

So now my question to you all is, whether can I go for a staggered setup?

I'm thinking of replacing the rear 55 profile with 50 inch profile.

So, it will look like below.

205/55 R16 - Front
205/50 R16 - Rear

Please help.
The short answer would be - No.

Staggered setups mean different widths being used and not different aspect ratios. For the setup you have in mind the fronts will have a rolling diameter of around 632mm vs the rears with around 611mm. This could negatively impact the ABS calibration and vehicle balance i.e. not a safe mod.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks