Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2006, 16:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Are Steel wheels/rims better than alloys?

hi guys,
today i met a person in the tyre manufacturing sector. i consulted with him regarding fitting alloys on my esteem & he was of the strong opinion that alloys were a strict no no for small/mid cars. when i prodded him further, he said that if u can get a set of alloys which are the same weight/less than ur steel rims, then go ahead, otherwise the weight and the hardness of low profile tyres will result in a very bumpy ride. can anyone throw some light on this ??? (And i thought that alloys were lighter than converntional rims).
he also said that company fitted alloys were researched & designed to be accomodated in the car & therefore will not compromise on ride.
is it true that alloys are heavier than steel rims ??
Old 12th July 2006, 16:44   #2
BANNED

As a matter of fact, Alloys are lighter than steel.
What 'the person' meant should be that when changing from steel to alloys, make sure you dont exceed the original weight by getting a very huge wheel. Of course, big wheels will weigh more than smaller ones. And low profile tyres which are normally fitted with alloys will make the ride more rough. So now you get the rough part?

Last edited by speedzak : 12th July 2006 at 16:45.
Old 12th July 2006, 17:10   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
hi guys,
he also said that company fitted alloys were researched & designed to be accomodated in the car & therefore will not compromise on ride.
is it true that alloys are heavier than steel rims ??

Hyundai alloys are actually Aura alloys,but rebadged as Hyundai.
Old 12th July 2006, 17:49   #4
BANNED

He has a point. Company provided steel alloys are a perfect fit for your car.

Aftermarket alloys are only better if you're going for the real performance brands like BBS etc.

The cheapers ones may not be an exact fit for your car, which can lead to some bad vibrations etc at high speed.
Old 12th July 2006, 18:41   #5
BANNED

[quote=Boom Shiva]Aftermarket alloys are only better if you're going for the real performance brands like BBS etc.[quote]

Are Aura alloys considered a performance brand? And is BBS an Indian brand?
Old 12th July 2006, 18:50   #6
BANNED

A big, firm NO to both your questions!
Old 12th July 2006, 19:02   #7
BANNED

I am from Mumbai too. Any suggestions as to where I might want to go to have tubeless tyres and alloys fitted?
Also, what tyres and alloys do you recommend for the Indica?
Old 14th July 2006, 14:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
As a matter of fact, Alloys are lighter than steel.
What 'the person' meant should be that when changing from steel to alloys, make sure you dont exceed the original weight by getting a very huge wheel. Of course, big wheels will weigh more than smaller ones. And low profile tyres which are normally fitted with alloys will make the ride more rough. So now you get the rough part?
"the person" quoted in my earlier post is in MRF for the last 35 years & comes from ur part of the world too & he was quick to tell me not to buy MRF tyres for my car too. he recommends Michelin/Bridgestone.
cheers
Old 14th July 2006, 14:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha
I am from Mumbai too. Any suggestions as to where I might want to go to have tubeless tyres and alloys fitted?
Aura alloys and Michellin certis would be my suggestion
Old 14th July 2006, 15:25   #10
BANNED

alloys of therite size with matched rubber will whip steel rims on performance on any given day
Old 14th July 2006, 17:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha
totally off the topic
Old 14th July 2006, 17:54   #12
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is dealt with severely.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:19   #13
BHPian

Guys have a month old Getz Prim 1.1 which came with tube tyres, i replaced them to Tubeless ones at the dealer itself, now i find the air pressure going down frm one of the tyres, do i need to get Alloy wheels for tubeless or Steel Rimms are fine? Plz enlighten , me confused.

Ritesh
Old 17th June 2008, 18:51   #14
BHPian

alloys have always been better than steel hubs esteem. All that guy you meet meant was when getting and alloy to replace the ugly steel hubs make sure the alloys dont weigh greater than the old steel hubs you used to have and if it does weigh greater then the following things he mentioned comes to play
Old 18th June 2008, 09:31   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
Guys have a month old Getz Prim 1.1 which came with tube tyres, i replaced them to Tubeless ones at the dealer itself, now i find the air pressure going down frm one of the tyres, do i need to get Alloy wheels for tubeless or Steel Rimms are fine? Plz enlighten , me confused.

Ritesh
alloys are better suited to tubeless tyres than steel rims as steal rims get rusted and there could be a leak . so go for alloys they will give better look to your car and also other benefits also if chosen correctly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks