Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2007, 22:40   #31
Team-BHP Support

Well it will help if you park for long duration under the sun. it may prevent cracks in the rubber in the long run.

Also during the rains. If you notice that they are little oily. they dont allow water to settle on the sidewall at all. the water just flows off.
Old 27th April 2011, 21:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre Polish - Does it serve any purpose ?

Respected freinds, I have been looking out for something not that expensive for the upkeep and goodlooks for the tyres.

Last month I met one of my reletive who at one time in sixties and seventies was making suspension bushing kits for all bygone era cars,viz..Ambassador, Fiats, lambretta, bajaj,etc.

I just happened to mention to him about tyre polish which are in shapes of foam, liquid,etc and are expensive.

He told me that there is a chemical available in chemical stores, in DAWA BAZAR lohar chawl area, it is actually used to release moulds in rubber industry and is called SILLICON EMULSION (DUDHIO) ,LUBSO LUBRICANTO.

It is made by AMRUT iNDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS ,LBS Marg, Thane. It is used by dealers and shopkeepers selling rubber items kept in show windows, and when appplied to rubber items they start to shine , but it has to be applied once in a week at least. COST Rs. 200/- for 1/2 ltrs.

I have applied it to my tyres about a week back and now after about eight days it needs a coat again, Just dilute the chemical with water to 20%.1/2 Lts becomes 1 ltrs.
You can apply to any thing apart from tyres viz. namely...
*Dash boards
*plastic parts
*Leather shoes, bags,
*Bakelite items.etcetc.
I am posting photo of the bottle, how to locate the shop where it is available ? if any one interested Pls PM me I will explain in detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre Polish - Does it serve any purpose ?-aammarut.jpg  

Tyre Polish - Does it serve any purpose ?-aamrut.jpg  

Old 30th April 2011, 21:25   #33
BHPian

tire polishes are a big no for 2 wheelers as they can lead to reduced traction when on side walls. The reason being that all the tire dressers are made of silicones [polysiloxanes (R2 SiO)n]
Old 8th September 2012, 09:40   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
IMHO, Cleaning with soap form with brush during weekend wash will suffice.
Actually the normal wash gives you a bit of dull black color tyre. But if you use these polishes, it gives a clean black and wet look to your tyres. Also if you notice, the neatness and newness of the vehicle predominantly start from the tyres.

Have your car cleaned well and polished, but just leave the tyres to be normal without any wet polish effect, it would look ordinary. But if you add that wet polish, it would look awesome.

I clean both my cars every week and care for all these aspects. I have a Ford Ikon(Morello) and Hyundai Fludic Verna(Black). For these dark colors, the clean look is very much necessary, else these cars won't look great.
Old 28th August 2015, 19:19   #35
BHPian

Been a while since this thread picked up again. Don't see any conclusion associated with the products mentioned. Divided opinions leave us mortals hanging in thin air. While we love the look of good black rubber, we do not want reduced life of the expensive tyres we use everyday. Anything to add on this subject?
Old 28th August 2015, 20:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Just clean the tyre with water and soap, scrub the sidewalls and tyre tread well and leave it dry a bit but not dry out totally. When a bit of moisture is left, dab sunflower oil or castor oil on a bit of cotton waste and apply thoroughly to the sidewall. This is the best tyre treatment and moisturiser for your tyres. It is also approved by US military tyre maintainance manuals. Castor oil is reputed to be slightly better street cred than sunflower oil in this respect.

Most Viewed