Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2017, 16:07   #31
BHPian

Alloy upgrade advise for 20 inch rims

Hi Guys

I’ve decided to upgrade my wheels from 18 to 20 inches even after some bit of research on ride quality impact and the stress I’ll be putting my back through! This is not a daily car and I’m more than willing to put looks before comfort for the few hours I’ll be driving it every week.

I’ve seen MOMOs at Sai Mag Wheels and have a design shortlisted. In fact, they would have been on the car by now if getting 255/30R20 tyres wasn’t so difficult.

My call for help is on two subjects;
1. I was reading posts on alloy brands in our forum and at several times came across names like BBS, TSW, Enkei and Borbet referred as premium rims. Are these better than MOMOs in terms of product quality? In case they are then where can I find their dealers in Delhi?

For the lack of options at the moment, I’ve shortlisted MOMO Quantum EVO 20inch wheels. I would really appreciate your dig at its design? https://www.momo.com/en-gb/shop/quantum-evo/

2. And finally, to get rid of this itch I’ve had for a few days now, where can I find 255/30R20s tyres in Delhi. I’ve spoken with Pirelli and Michelin dealers. They don’t have them in stock. One of ‘em blokes mentioned that these are of the same size as those which come fitted in Lamborgini Aventador. Would Lamborgini sell me these tyres if I’m not one of their current customers? Assuming they have them in stock.

Thanks for your help. Team BHP always 😊
Old 28th April 2017, 13:50   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Alloy upgrade advise for 20 inch rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustpipe View Post
For the lack of options at the moment, I’ve shortlisted MOMO Quantum EVO 20inch wheels. I would really appreciate your dig at its design? https://www.momo.com/en-gb/shop/quantum-evo/
Deadly wheels - go for it.

Quote:
255/30R20s tyres in Delhi
Ask for the help of Sai Mag Wheels. Since they are regular importers + you're getting the wheels from them, they should be able to source the tyres for you. You could also try importing them yourself, but it'll cost a pretty penny - related thread.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 12:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Deadly wheels - go for it.

Ask for the help of Sai Mag Wheels. Since they are regular importers + you're getting the wheels from them, they should be able to source the tyres for you. You could also try importing them yourself, but it'll cost a pretty penny - related thread.
Hi again GTO,

I just learned from a reliable source that importing wheels to India is impossible unless they are ISI marked or come from a factory which is pre-approved by ISI to ship tyres of approved size and make to India.

Is this really the case?

If it is then I'm stuck with 18 inches or paying 44k each for these new tyres :(

Thanks
EP
Old 1st May 2017, 17:30   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustpipe View Post
I just learned from a reliable source that importing wheels to India is impossible unless they are ISI marked or come from a factory which is pre-approved by ISI to ship tyres of approved size and make to India.
Guess you mean ISI 'tyres' and not wheels? Some tyres are exempt from the ISI mark. Look up the thread I linked to and you'll see a document posted by a BHPian with the allowed sizes. The tyres running on my car have no ISI mark, yet they were sold officially as they're on the exemption list.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 02:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I was doing a lot of research on Momo alloys. I found out that we are not getting Italy made Momo alloys. It is imported from Taiwan at price of around 3.5-5k per alloy with customs duty of around 28 percent. It is sold to customers at double price. I am not saying we are getting replicas. Sai Mag Wheels is the official dealer in India(checked in Momo Italy website)
Hi

That's not really a problem. I have a lot of friends who import stuff from China on regular basis as manufacturers. According to them a company can get the best or the worst quality of a product based on the price they are willing to pay for it.

I have personally inspected around 4 brands in 20 inch rim size. Some of the local brands which cost nearly the same as MOMOs were of equally good quality. This assessment is based on rim weight, final finish, design, etc. So even if MOMOs are being manufactured in China, the company will ensure that we as customers get a bare minimum level of quality no matter what.

I’m laying this logic on the same fact that an iPhone and a Micromax are both made in China but their finishing and longevity aren’t the same.

Hope this helps. I’ll post pictures of my new rims as soon as the tires arrive, which should be any day now. 😊

Best
EP – Android Forever 😉

Also, an update for those looking to import tires for themselves. Besides the list of tires exempted by DoIPP, all RFTs are approved for import for personal use.

Last edited by ampere : 7th May 2017 at 19:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
exhaustpipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 06:57   #36
BANNED

Re: The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!

I am not sure where to post this, since this is a very generic query, but anyone heard of REDS alloy wheels?

Are they any good? They seem to cost 10% more than MOMOs.
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 10:10   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
I am not sure where to post this, since this is a very generic query, but anyone heard of REDS alloy wheels?

Are they any good? They seem to cost 10% more than MOMOs.
Thanks @Gannu_1 for moving my post here.
I never realised that REDS was a MOMO sub brand.
I guess that speaks enough for their pedigree.
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 20:59   #38
BHPian

Re: The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!

Any idea whats the asking price of Momo quantum 16 inch alloy.
Old 7th March 2021, 18:16   #39
BANNED

Re: MOMO Alloy Wheels now available officially in India

Hello

Is it still possible to import alloy wheels only. Looking at a set of 18” vmr csl style wheels.

I had imported a set earlier but way back in 2012.

Thanks
Taran

Most Viewed