Team-BHP - Smuggling: Imported Tyres being stuffed with cigarettes & liquor!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Smuggling: Imported Tyres being stuffed with cigarettes & liquor! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/155606-smuggling-imported-tyres-being-stuffed-cigarettes-liquor.html)

Source & Full Article

Quote:

A few weeks ago the customs department conducted a raid on M/S Shivani Industries. The raid was made on information that the aforementioned company was importing branded tyres in guise of the Chinese tyres. The mentioned consignment was covered under Bill of Entry No. 5898611 which was dated for, 23.06.2014.

The consignment was examined by Delhi Customs & the authorities were surprised to find what was not the branded tyres, but instead contained more than 28 lakh cigarettes of Dunhill & Mond Brands along with 6000 liters of Johnnie Walker Black Label Scotch Whiskey. The Scotch Whiskey & the cigarettes were concealed behind the tyres & were valued at more than 5 Crore also; the detection of duty tax evasion was calculated at more than 3.5 Crore.

The front man on whose name the consignment was apparently imported is named Mr. Malkit Singh whose identity along with the firm appeared to be a dummy since, nothing exists at the address that is registered with DGFT.

This is really crazy.. Tires to Cigarettes to Liquor... People can go to any kind of limit or level to do their things or get their things done..!!

This is the first time I am hearing about usage of tyres for smuggling stuff. However should also add that I am not surprised, gold nuggets are smuggled widely by hiding them in body cavities.

Well, I think we should all be happy that it was just liquor and cigarettes that was smuggled (and not arms or ammunition )

Quote:

The consignment ... instead contained ... cigarettes ... along with ... Whiskey.
I'm confused - does this mean the contraband was actually in the tires? Or is it a case of labelling a consignment/package as tires, but it actually didn't contain tires?

I'm leaning towards the latter (labelling a consignment differently) based on the bit I quoted above.

Also, I don't think it'll be that easy to conceal cigarettes/alcohol in tires, since bottles will not be kept individually, and cigarettes will be bundled in cartons.

This is crazy, can't ignore their level of innovation in doing such things :Frustrati
If only such people used their great ideas in doing something useful for our country. Just a couple of days ago I remember reading about gold smuggling - they'd hidden gold bars behind a mirror in a plane's lavatory!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 3535646)
I'm confused - does this mean the contraband was actually in the tires? Or is it a case of labelling a consignment/package as tires, but it actually didn't contain tires?

IMO this was a case of concealing the contraband in the tires - the original article is also titled as 'Liquor & Cigarettes concealed in tyres caught'. So, guess the cigs and bottles were inside the tires. Ciggies can be removed from the carton boxes and stuffed pack by pack in the tires. But the bottles, even I'm curious how they managed to stuff these in the tires.

This kind of fraud generally happens in the way that the front part of the container contains items which are shown on the bill of lading and at the back, it is filled with the smuggled goods.

Have heard cases of gold being smuggled inside computer CPUs, shoes being filled with diamonds etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 (Post 3537181)
This kind of fraud generally happens in the way that the front part of the container contains items which are shown on the bill of lading and at the back, it is filled with the smuggled goods.

Have heard cases of gold being smuggled inside computer CPUs, shoes being filled with diamonds etc.

I just wish someone would do us a favour and import Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres into India, 'somehow'.

Disclaimer to the MODs: I'm not trying to advocate illegal imports. Just very desirous of sourcing the said tyres!