Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2014, 14:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

Continental launches locally manufactured car tyres

German tyre manufacturer, Continental AG has launched two passenger car tyre lines in the Indian market - ContiMaxContact MC5 and ContiComfortContact CC5.

The ContiComfortContact CC5 is designed for the compact and mid-sized segments of passenger cars. The product is made by using silica compound technology, which Continental claims, lowers rolling resistance, which in turn, results in better fuel efficiency figures. The tyre's tread pattern design has chamfered lateral grooves with an asymmetrical pattern rib.

The ContiMaxContact MC5 is designed for the high end, mid-sized and executive segments of passenger cars. The tyre features an asymmetrical tread pattern, chamfered blocks and activated silica compound technology. Continental claims this tyre is good for high speed handling.

These tyre lines, which the company claims have been designed specifically for the Asia Pacific region and customised further for Indian requirements, are being manufactured at a new facility for PLT (passenger and light truck) tyres, which has been set up at Continental's existing tyre plant at Modipuram. It has an initial capacity of 800,000 tyres per annum with further expansion potential.

Continental claims to have brought experienced staff from some of its international production sites to India in order to train local staff on handling the new machinery and production techniques. Additionally, more than 100 local employees were sent abroad to various international production sites in Germany, Romania, China and Malaysia for training in radial car tyre production and technology.

Continental has a dealer network of more than 425 and around 30 aligned branded shops in all major cities in India. The company is planning to expand this network further expanded in an effort to make its products and services are available across the whole country.

Continental launches locally manufactured car tyres-continental.jpg

Continental launches locally manufactured car tyres-continental2.jpg
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 14:37   #2
BANNED

Re: Continental launches locally manufactured car tyres

Thanks for the post Aditya, can you post the link to the news article if any? I am most interested in the cost of these tyres and the size they would be available in when compared to the competition, especially in the ContiComfortContact CC5 ones, which I believe would be the ones in much demand.
Old 20th November 2014, 16:35   #3
BHPian

Any idea on what sizes and respective prices these are available at? Looking to replace 16" rubber on the Tjet soon.
Old 20th November 2014, 17:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Few days back I noticed the tires on a Swift and it looked just like a stock MRF or JK Tyre.

As I got closer, saw Conti mentioned on it and was wondering when did they launch tires that had similar thread pattern like some Indian OEM tires .

I guess it was the same ones as these. Will look for the car and see if I can take some pics.

Last edited by tharian : 20th November 2014 at 17:02.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 17:41   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Continental Tyres should probably spend a wee bit of money and make a great website for India. Right now, there's such limited information available that it's shocking. Ideally, before this launch, they'd have readied a comprehensive website with sizes, specs, tyre selector (based on your car) and a directory of dealerships.

This miss is inexplicable. It's not a brand that comes to mind when you're out shopping for tyres. One would think they'd do everything they can to keep yourself updated. Heck, they don't even have a Facebook page

Probably stuck in the nineties.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 17:47   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This miss is inexplicable. It's not a brand that comes to mind when you're out shopping for tyres.
I can relate to this totally. When I was changing my OE tyres immediately after taking delivery of the car last year, the tyre dealer offered me Yoko, Bridgestone and Continental. I thought at that time Continental was a local brand as I had not heard much of it.
I finally decided on Yoko A drive just because I knew this brand.

Unless they market their products, irrespective of how good they are they will always play a catch up game to the other players.
ILTDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 20:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hello distant neighbour, for 16" stick with Michelin PS3 for the Tjet. You will have to place an order with the dealer though, no ex stock fitment available in South Delhi except for their dealer in Khan market, the best prices however are offered by the dealer in Malviya Nagar (contact details are available in the NCR directory) This for the PS3, XM2 are available a dime a dozen everywhere.

In case you are keen on Continental, see below the contact details of the authorised Conti dealer in CR Park. I just bought a set of CC5 in 14" from him for my Swift zxi couple of weeks ago. Excellent tires and very very silent. They are currently not available in 16" wherein you will have to opt for the Conti Max Contact. However the CMC are not rated as well as the CC5s in Australia. I specifically mention the land of OZ as that continent is the closet to ours in terms of weather conditions and road surfaces (rural there = everywhere here) and I use it as a benchmark of sorts.

Call me nuts but I did not like the look of the CMCs. You put them alongside the CC5s and the two products look as different from each other as chalk and cheese. Anyhow here you go : Delhi Tyre junction Paramdeep Chandok 9818076517. Caution : I did not like his alignment apparatus and did not get that done, balancing and Nitrogen are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Any idea on what sizes and respective prices these are available at? Looking to replace 16" rubber on the Tjet soon.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 23:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hello distant neighbour, for 16" stick with Michelin PS3 for the Tjet. You will have to place an order with the dealer though, no ex stock fitment available in South Delhi except for their dealer in Khan market, the best prices however are offered by the dealer in Malviya Nagar (contact details are available in the NCR directory) This for the PS3, XM2 are available a dime a dozen everywhere.

In case you are keen on Continental, see below the contact details of the authorised Conti dealer in CR Park. I just bought a set of CC5 in 14" from him for my Swift zxi couple of weeks ago. Excellent tires and very very silent. They are currently not available in 16" wherein you will have to opt for the Conti Max Contact. However the CMC are not rated as well as the CC5s in Australia. I specifically mention the land of OZ as that continent is the closet to ours in terms of weather conditions and road surfaces (rural there = everywhere here) and I use it as a benchmark of sorts.

Call me nuts but I did not like the look of the CMCs. You put them alongside the CC5s and the two products look as different from each other as chalk and cheese. Anyhow here you go : Delhi Tyre junction Paramdeep Chandok 9818076517. Caution : I did not like his alignment apparatus and did not get that done, balancing and Nitrogen are fine.
Thanks much for the inputs! I will check the Contis out this weekend, not too keen on them though.

Got the P3STs for the Punto in 195/60/15 back in August and I am quite happy with them. These replaced the Primacy LCs which lasted me exactly 40k kms - so I am a happy Michelin customer (5 sets in last 5-6 years on different cars).

Prices for P3STs in 16" are quite high, so was thinking of checking other brands out. Let's see where I end up. Will call you soon.
Old 18th December 2014, 14:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I just bought a set of CC5 in 14" from him for my Swift zxi couple of weeks ago. Excellent tires and very very silent. .
What was the price of CC5 you bought in 14"? I need to replace my Fabia tires pretty soon.
Old 19th December 2014, 00:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

4300/- each balancing, alignment & N2 fill up free. Old tyres bought back at 50/- bucks each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
What was the price of CC5 you bought in 14"? I need to replace my Fabia tires pretty soon.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 12:45   #11
BHPian

Anyone has any feedback on ContiMaxContact MC5?

They are available for 5500 in 195/65R15. Considering they are manufactured in India, they will suit our Indian conditions better.

I'm looking to change the tyres on my Altis. My heart says P3STs but I don't want to burn my pocket, AGAIN!
Old 5th March 2015, 21:20   #12
BHPian

I have been using them on my Honda jazz for past 3 months and have covered almost 3k kms.
Have to say that I am extremely pleased with their performance. They are extremely silent and grippy, perform really well under wet conditions.
High speed stability is excellent as is the braking. Can't really comment about the life as of now.
You can check my post here for further details. Hope this helps.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...upgrade-3.html
superboy44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 10:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Anyone has any feedback on ContiMaxContact MC5?
I just got a set for my GT TSI, I got them in 205/55 R15. I am quite happy with them. Driven about a 1000KM, they are grippy and almost silent.

Overall they seem to be a good alternative to a set of Michelin's. That being said I would have gone for a set of Michelins if they were available in this size.
Attached Thumbnails
Continental launches locally manufactured car tyres-img_0282.jpg  

VellVector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 19:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Overall they seem to be a good alternative to a set of Michelin's. That being said I would have gone for a set of Michelins if they were available in this size.
Can you please post a few more pics of the tread patterns, a few shots with the tyre out showing the width out and how your GT looks with new the new tyres. Planning to get 205/55 R15 and MC5 seems a good option, there are very few reviews online. How is the grip? Hope the sidewall is not too soft like XM1. What is the price you got them at?

Last edited by coolboy007 : 6th March 2015 at 19:09.
Old 6th March 2015, 19:18   #15
Team-BHP Support

Excuse me, but on my Motorcycle, I have Continental tires and they are not as good as MRF. Lets not bring other brands, but if it was as good as MRF, I would have been happy.

BTW, the Continental which my bike wears is made in collaboration with Metro Tires, or maybe Metro has build the tires and is using Continental's name.

More than anything I look for a tire which is averse to punctures. And Indian made tires are good in this regard.

To give credit where it is due, our forum has positive things to say about Continental, especially for SUV's especially the Cross Contact AT. Based on this, I am sure going to shortlist this when a tire change is due.

Most Viewed