Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2015, 05:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Hit pothole at speed, tyres severely damaged

The condition of certain stretches of NH 47 are really bad. The surface for about 10Kms north of Haripad was redone along with the commencement of monsoon. This newly laid surface had peeled off pretty soon, leaving the road in shambles. Repatching was also carried out subsequently, but to no effect. It appears that proper control is not exercised on the contract work by the department officials concerned. Either the tax payer's money is wasted or corruption is too rampant.

Either way, the vehicles bear the brunt.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 08:15   #17
BHPian

Sad to see the car suffer due to our pathetic road conditions. I had a similar experience near Kalady when an oncoming KSRTC bus forced me into a pothole I was trying to avoid. Was at pretty good speed and the left front tyre burst on falling into the crater sized hole. Had never removed/installed a tyre before, so relied on google and successfully installed the spare. I don't think car or tyre manufacturers will honor warranty claims in such incidents. Can't the alloys be repainted for those scratches? Also, in case of replacing 1 or 2 tyres, wouldn't there be some effect on traction if we were to use tyres in different stages of their life simultaneously? Will the new tyres run out earlier than usual? Hope someone can clarify these.
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 09:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Something similar happened to the rear left side tyre(tubeless) of our Swift back in 2008. There was a nasty, sharp pothole right in the middle of the highway. By the time, the driver saw it and tried to avoid it, it was too late. Both left side tyres went into the pothole. Nothing happened to the front tyre but the rear tyre burst.
The workshop said in such cases warranty cannot be claimed and we had to pay for new tyre.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 09:30   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

You got reply to your question from other members, but I have few questions (just to understand the magnitude of impact)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr View Post
He then put a patch inside the tyre where the damage has happened, then placed a tube, fixed it in the rim again and filled air.
1) Where was it damaged? (sidewalls or the road contact flat area)
2) Added tube since the damage is beyond repair or as a safety measure?
3) How about the damage on Front Tire?
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 09:52   #20
BHPian

I faced the same when my car was 5 days old, the side wall of front right tyre burst after going over a relatively small pothole at a very slow speed. When I inquired with the dealer and MRF they said the damage was due to negligent driving and over inflation of tyre . Anyways I ended up fitting a tube inside this and right now this serves as the spare tyre.
No use trying to get a replacement for this buddy.
Mashblue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 09:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think you are eligible for e warranty replacement, as it covers only manufacturing defects and not road mishaps.

A month back even I burst a brand new Bridgestone Potenza, with no replacement.

However, you can give it a try, might get lucky.

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2015 at 13:09. Reason: Typo
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 11:05   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

No warranty replacement for sure, but you can claim insurance. But then you will lose NCB which will be substantial for a new car (20% next year). Cost of 2 tires should be close to 10K. Check your policy's 'own damage' part and you know what to expect as NCB next year. Add compulsory deductibles to it and you know how much you will spend from your pocket for replacement. Also, tires are rubber items and insurer will most likely chose to pay only 50% of the cost. You don't gain anything out of it, but might end up losing more.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 11:49   #23
BANNED

Sidewalls are the achilles heel for a tubeless tyre. Tire warranty only covers on quality of rubber such as uneven wear and tear and bubble/wobble formation. Sidewall cuts are never honored by neither tyre manufacturer nor car manufacturer. But, yes if you have a cut / puncture on the tyre surface, you can try for a claim.

I had a incident long back when a stray dog preferred to have a post lunch nap under my front bumper and close to the tyre. I could not see it and as I started the car, it got paniced and bitten the sidewall of the front left tyre to his max strength. Then only I came to know that sidewalls are hardly covered.
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 13:37   #24

Re: Hit pothole at speed, tyres severely damaged

I had similar experience recently. My 20000 km (1.5 yr) old, Yoko C Drive faced a similar fate when driven through a pothole or should i say a sharp crater. I had no expectation that a tire replacement by warranty would be possible, but just dropped a casual question to tire shop owner (Lokmanya Tires Pune). To my surprise, even after knowing that the tire sidewall had burst due to being driven over a pothole, i was given a warranty replacement with 25% contribution from my side.

Guess i was Lucky !!
Ketz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 14:51   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He then put a patch inside the tyre where the damage has happened, then placed a tube, fixed it in the rim again and filled air. We left the spot after fixing the rear wheel.
This is merely a temporary fix to get you home. Be sure to replace this tyre with a new one too. The tyre would have been severely ruptured to require a patch + tube to hold air inside.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 16:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
I didnt even bother to inquire about warranty as I could not think of anything for which Bridgstone could be accountable .
Even I didn't think about any sort of warranty for the tyre till that tyre mechanic showed me a bulging on the side wall. He told that due to the pressure of the impact side wall cracked. He checked the bulge told that it is because of manufacturing defect and I can send the tyre for manufacturer inspection and they are responsible for a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
didn't your car come with a wheel spanner?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Replace 2 tyres, place the new ones in the front or rear as per your liking and rotate them normally as per schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
in case of replacing 1 or 2 tyres, wouldn't there be some effect on traction if we were to use tyres in different stages of their life simultaneously?
Bought a new tyre and placed it in front left side. Unused spare tyre placed on front right side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
Please check the rims for damages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hope you have already checked the alloys for bends though.
I have checked the rims from Global tyres, Kochi. Luckily it is free from any structural damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
I think its worth checking with the HASS
Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
There is no harm in trying to get a reaction from either bridgestone or hyundai.
I have checked with HASS. They requested to bring the tyres to them so that they can send it to Bridgestone for inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
1) Where was it damaged? (sidewalls or the road contact flat area)
2) Added tube since the damage is beyond repair or as a safety measure?
3) How about the damage on Front Tire?
The damage was on sidewalls and it was beyond repair. Front tyre has a 2 inch crack on sidewalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is merely a temporary fix to get you home. Be sure to replace this tyre with a new one too. The tyre would have been severely ruptured to require a patch + tube to hold air inside.
Yes, he told that. Driven with that tyre for 120 kms to reach Kochi. Purchased a new tyre of same model B250. For the time being kept the tyre with patch + tube as spare.
Old 28th January 2015, 16:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This incident happened to me while I was travelling from Trivandrum to Kochi...
When did you last check the tyre pressure before the incident. Low pressure plays spoilsport, when the tyres hit potholes.
It is recommended to check and correct the pressure once in every fortnight.
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 17:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
This incident happened to me while I was travelling from Trivandrum to Kochi with my wife and 2 year old son in my 3 month old Hyundai Fluidic Verna.

As usual, I took NH 47, since I knew that the road is in good condition, except for some bad patches near Chavara. I used to drive from Trivandrum to Kochi and back at least twice in a month and always preferred to drive at night to avoid heavy traffic and the time loss. This time too, I started at 10 pm. I was driving at a speed of 80-90 km/h and when I reached Chavara, reduced the speed to 60-65 km/h to avoid the bad patches. I had managed to overcome all of them without any issues except the last and most disastrous one. It was deep and wide.
IMHO, 60-65 km/h is no way slow speed for a bad patch which you are familiar with in particular, Especially when you have a 2 year old in tow! Please be extra careful when you have younger ones traveling along. I hope that all is fine. I can understand the magnitude of the impact that passengers would have felt, given the result on tyres as described by you. I must say that it was absence of 'responsible driving practices' that has resulted in this loss.

I would be surprised if the manufacturer agrees to warranty claims.

Once happened with me when just 2 months into all new 4 Michelins on my Santro, I somehow managed to get the sidewall of a front tyre chipped. This 'chipped off' part was noticed during the regular alignment/balancing exercise. Michelin straightaway denied the claim that I had made, on the grounds that the warranty doesn't cover damage due to bad roads/mishandling .

By the way, why was that tube needed even after the patch was fixed? Was the damage so bad on the sidewalls?

Last edited by 1lokesh : 28th January 2015 at 17:18.
1lokesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 17:41   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This incident happened to me while I was travelling from Trivandrum to Kochi with my wife and 2 year old son in my 3 month old Hyundai Fluidic Verna.
Sorry to hear that. My tyre had the same issue right after I bought the car (10 days to be exact). I was denied warranty stating side wall damage is not covered.

To be on the safer side, get the wheels aligned and check the air pressure before setting out for long drives. I too covered Trivandrum - Cochin on the same day (knowing there are rough patches) and made sure the air was checked before the drives.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 18:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear your experience. After paying all kinds of taxes, it is sad that we still cannot lay claim to some basic tarmac to drive/ride on. Apart from damage to the vehicles, think of the lives lost or injuries sustained. Pathetic.

Had mentioned the nasty craters (not potholes) on the Kayankulam - Kollam stretch in the Kerala-roads thread. I do this stretch atleast 2-4 times a week on bike/car and am extra careful especially when on the bike since it can be disastrous to run into one of these.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed