Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2015, 18:23   #31
BANNED

Re: Hit pothole at speed, tyres severely damaged

I once has a tyre burst while driving on NH75 from Gwalior to Jhansi (before the GQ). The cut was in the tread area and almost took a full bite out the tyre. Instant deflation, tubeless or not! Changed the tyre and carried on, and then replaced the tyre on my return to Kanpur.
Old 28th January 2015, 18:40   #32
BHPian

Noble, you may need to get your alignment and balancing done. I had to, after my incident, to get rid of steering vibes that were creeping in around 120kmph.
Sanjunair5 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 18:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

I am not reading 3 pages to speak my mind so excuse if I have been condored!

PLEASE check your underpinnings completely, alignment, monocoque alignment, struts etc. at a PROPER service center. This kind of impact (as per opening post) has been known to cause serious damage to the overall integrity of the car, and will show signs like wobbling, vibrations, etc down the line...say a few months from now.

There are such horror stories in TBhp, so beware!

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2015 at 16:07. Reason: Typos
svsantosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 03:22   #34
BHPian

As stated above by all fellow members, I really doubt that you would get any claim benefit. But no harm in trying once.

One important suggestion is to avoid night driving with your family. Imagine how dangerous that is when you have a lady by your side and an infant.

Happy that you could find a close by place to stay. What would have happened had there been some other major issue with the car and you are left on the road at the midnight with no passerby to help also!!!.

Last edited by rki2007 : 29th January 2015 at 03:23.
rki2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 04:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Sorry to hear your experience. After paying all kinds of taxes, it is sad that we still cannot lay claim to some basic tarmac to drive/ride on. Apart from damage to the vehicles, think of the lives lost or injuries sustained. Pathetic.
Visibly sad state of road affairs and no authority cares 2 hoots except for election time promises, had to bear the brunt once, unfortunately it was an expensive hit at 14k for an alloy, hairline crack on the right front while passing over a bad stretch of NH17 near Bhatkal 2 years back, started loosing air pressure, the puncture guy identified the crack, I was upset, had to wait 3 months for the spare crdi Sonata alloy to be received/imported.
So do check all the alloys for sure for any hairline cracks.
Wish who ever responsible took others lives/property more seriously and are accountable for their work.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 29th January 2015 at 04:23.
s_pphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 08:48   #36

Well everyone has really driven the point that this won't be covered in warranty and I agree. I would like to suggest you to stop traveling at night with your family especially when you have a small kid with you. Probably during day time you would have managed to get around the pot hole with better visibility. And was it raining at that time? somehow from the pics I am getting that impression. Good part is no one was hurt and hope you take this as a lesson learnt.
sushrut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 10:28   #37
BHPian

Noble, I came through that route day before yesterday on the hartal day. That stretch is really bad. I came through that route only because traffic was less since it was a hartal day. I would say going at 60 - 65 km/h is really not advisable especially in the night.

For TVM - EKM route, I suggest the best route is to take MC road and deviate from Adoor byepass to Kayamkulam. This is because after Chengannur the MC road is bad till Changanacherry. There are some bad patches after Kayamkulam but still better than Chengannur - Changanacherry stretch. An additional 8 to 10 kms drive is required but that's the only option left for a relatively smoother ride.

Really not sure for how long we need to suffer these bad roads in Kerala.
adarsh76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 10:32   #38
BHPian

First - were the tyres inflated to appropriate pressure? No matter the size/brand of tyre, if it is under inflated then there are fair enough chances the tyre surface will be severely damaged upon hitting an edge at speed - specially the momentum would play its role when you EXIT the pothole/rough patch.

I seriously doubt if Hyundai / Bridgestone would provide any repair/replacement/reimbursement because this is "wear and tear" case.

Also, I would suggest you either not to travel at night on bad roads, or STRICTLY be within the speed limit. Above all, thank Almighty that you, along with the family, came out unhurt and clean - this could have been nasty as well.
Drive safe bro.

Last edited by Zinda : 29th January 2015 at 10:34. Reason: 'A'lmighty :)
Zinda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 11:08   #39
BHPian

It has happened to me as well in one of our night drives.

For small pothole tire sidewall was cut, I was running Yoko db series 195/60/15.
My friend following me in XUV 500 glided over it as if nothing has happened. His tires - Pirelli 255/60/17. I was surprised by the way XUV 500 handles, brakes and delivers power in stock form.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 12:52   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr View Post
This incident happened to me while I was travelling from Trivandrum to Kochi with my wife and 2 year old son in my 3 month old Hyundai Fluidic Verna.
Hi, next time try the MC road via Kottarakara, Changanassery, Alleppey, or the route via Adoor-Kayamkulam, its much better.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2015 at 16:09. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 29th January 2015, 12:53   #41
BHPian

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. Given the tyre to HASS, Trivandrum for inspection. Will update once I get a response from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
It is recommended to check and correct the pressure once in every fortnight.
I used to check air pressure every 2500 - 3000 kms which mostly comes in 1 and a half month. I know it is a long gap but I am practicing this habit years from now. Already decided to check once in every fortnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
Noble, you may need to get your alignment and balancing done. I had to, after my incident, to get rid of steering vibes that were creeping in around 120kmph.
Checked the alignment and done balancing after fixed 2 new tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
PLEASE - check your under-pinnings Completely, alignment, monocoque alignment, sturts, etc etc at a PROPER service center. This kind of impact (per Opening Post) Has been known cause serious damage to the overall integrity of the car and will show signs like wobbling, vibrations, etc etc down the line, say a few months from now.
Planned to give the car for service next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
So do check all the alloys for sure for any hairline cracks.
I have checked the alloys right after I reached Kochi and luckily no structural damage has found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrut View Post
And was it raining at that time? somehow from the pics I am getting that impression.
It started raining just after the incident but not heavily.
Old 29th January 2015, 13:13   #42
BHPian

That's really sad to have 2 tires damaged on a pothole and luckily you managed to steer to safety. A close family friend on the wheel lost his family in a similar incident on the same Verna due to same reason.
I am not sure what actual happened, but I assume its the pressure at which stiff tire hits the pot hole having a soft suspension, the rubber takes all the impact and gives away.

Having nitrogen, reducing the tire pressure when you hit the highway, having broader soft tires are some measure everyone should take if you are a regular on the highway. Take regular stops to cool off, never race time, avoid night drive with family, never trust a unknown driver, maintain you car in top shape, never try to delay tire change, check tire valve for cracks and change them once in 2 yr on tubeless tires, balance/align your wheels every 5000km (I prefer to get this done outside than the A.S.S.)
Upgrade to a vehicle which is to your maximum reach financially.
Never take the 13/14inch wheels to the highway and perform heroic speeds of 100km/hr plus.

Last edited by Visaster : 29th January 2015 at 13:15.
Old 29th January 2015, 13:57   #43
BHPian

Hi noblecr

Sorry to hear about your Tyre damage & Alloys scratches.

Well as said earlier in this thread, your can't claim any damage from Insurance. However now days Insurance companies do offer Tyre damage protection and please check your policy for the same.

If you would be driving frequently to such routes, please get the Tyre damage cover from next year, in case not available in present cover.

Last edited by Wanderers : 29th January 2015 at 13:58.
Wanderers is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 16:17   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
For small pothole tire sidewall was cut, I was running Yoko db series 195/60/15.

My friend following me in XUV 500 glided over it as if nothing has happened. His tires - Pirelli 255/60/17. I was surprised by the way XUV 500 handles, brakes and delivers power in stock form.
More to do with the fact that the XUV500 had 153 mm sidewalls, compared to only 117 mm on your car. That's a big difference. Yokohama DBs are also known for softer sidewalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Having nitrogen
Nitrogen makes no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Umm, isnt air like already 78 - 79% nitrogen? What gives with that additional percentage? From all that I have read (online and off), the only areas where benefits will show are on large trucks, racing cars and aircraft. No credible source has attested to any significant benefit of using nitro in the tyres of everyday use cars.

Lower pressure checks are the only benefits that I have heard of. Well, I give the entire car a run-through (fluids, air etc.) everytime I fill up petrol so this really doesnt make a difference to me. Or to most of us.Sure, it would help in keeping tyre temperature low if you intend to cruise at 250 kph all day but............
Quote:
reducing the tire pressure
Under-inflation is the no. 1 cause of tyre bursts.

Quote:
having broader soft tires
For the situation faced in the OP, hard tyres (the type made by JK, Apollo, MRF) would probably be preferred
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 17:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For the situation faced in the OP, hard tyres (the type made by JK, Apollo, MRF) would probably be preferred
These tires would withstand torture in pothole ridden roads.
In NH 47, there are several bad stretches where the bigger vehicles with the advantage of bigger and harder tires, bully and intimidate the small vehicles.

Though buses would rattle like hell, they will carry on unmindful of the bad condition of the roads.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks