Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2015, 22:35   #1
BHPian

Maruti Ciaz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hello Friends,
I am buying a new Maruti CIAZ ZXI. The Stock tyres are 185/65 R15 of Apollo, Alloy wheels. The ZXI+ has Goodyear 195/55 R16 as stock tyres.

I want suggestions/comments on the following pls.

1. I want to change to steel rims immediately on picking up the car. What are the pro's and cons?

2. So if im convinced that i should change to steel rims from Alloy, i want to upgrade the tyres to 195/55 R16. The tyre converter says, there's hardly any change in this upgrade. Again inviting comments/suggestions for the same pls.
Old 8th March 2015, 07:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti Ciaz: Tyre & wheel upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep959 View Post

1. I want to change to steel rims immediately on picking up the car. What are the pro's and cons?
I would (& am sure many fellow BHPians) like to know the reason behind this. Especially since, you are adamant on changing your wheels despite knowing the pros & cons.

For a start, alloy wheels are lighter than your steel wheels but are tougher. They don't easily deform on impact wrt to steel wheels. And for 99% people, alloys look nice.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 14:01   #3
BHPian

re: Maruti Ciaz: Tyre & wheel suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I would (& am sure many fellow BHPians) like to know the reason behind this. Especially since, you are adamant on changing your wheels despite knowing the pros & cons.

For a start, alloy wheels are lighter than your steel wheels but are tougher. They don't easily deform on impact wrt to steel wheels. And for 99% people, alloys look nice.
No, I'm not adamant in changing from Alloy to steel. Just wanted to know the pro's and cons of changing from Alloy to steel.

My minor concerns are with regard to Mileage and Tyre change in case of a puncture. If the stock tyres are of Apollo, I will definitely change the tyres to Yokohama or Bridgestone. And i believe that if I change initially itself, i will get a good bargain from the dealer.

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2015 at 11:33. Reason: Typos
sandeep959 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th March 2015, 14:54   #4
Team-BHP Support

One "pros" I can think of is that you will be richer by a few thousands if you give up your alloys for steel wheels.

Just like how you will be richer if you sell your iPhone 6 and buy an unknown Chinese brand mobile model.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 15:24   #5
Team-BHP Support

Tyre upgrade & change from Alloy to Steel for Maruti CIAZ

Nowadays most of the roadside shops are also equipped to handle alloy wheels and tubeless tyres. I don't think there should be any logical reason to consider this downgrade. And steel wheels are not light! So please don't expect the mileage figures to improve either.

Moreover, it will be a big downgrade in the looks department. Ciaz is a sweet looking car, please don't spoil the looks by putting steel wheels and wheel caps etc.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th March 2015 at 15:27.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 15:30   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello Friends,
I am buying a new Maruti CIAZ ZXI. The Stock tyres are 185/65 R15 of Apollo, Alloy wheels. The ZXI+ has Goodyear 195/55 R16 as stock tyres.

2. So if im convinced that i should change to steel rims from Alloy, i want to upgrade the tyres to 195/55 R16. The tyre converter says, there's hardly any change in this upgrade. Again inviting comments/suggestions for the same pls.
Alloy wheels are lighter, stronger and don't rust as easy. Plus they look good. Steel wheels are tough but are prone to getting bent when you hit a stone. Added unsprung weight because of steel vs alloy is also small downside.

Not sure why anyone would want to change to steel from alloys.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 15:40   #7
BHPian

Ok... So here it is.. Im not changing from Alloy to Steel. I did a quick visit to a nearby Tyre dealer and got a first hand look at things.

So suggestions for change of stock tyres to Yokohama or Bridgestone from the Stock Apollo tyres?? and what suggestions for upgrade to 195/55 R16 (ZXI+ has this) from the stock 185/65 R15 while changing the tyre..
Old 8th March 2015, 16:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would you want to change to steel wheels? It's quite silly. You wont even get a good rate for your alloys if you sell it as OEM alloys sell for peanuts.

Keep the alloys and the Apollos as they are very nice tyres.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 16:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

I don't think you'll get 16 inch steel rims that fit your Ciaz. If you want steel rims, you'll have to downsize to 15 inches.

Does the Ciaz ZXI come with 15 inch alloys, 16 inch alloys or 15 inch steel rims? I'm confused by your original question.

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2015 at 11:34. Reason: Typos
Old 9th March 2015, 11:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,

Congrats on your decision to buy the CIAZ petrol. Stock tires are not good so its nice you decided to upgrade.

I would suggest you not to change to steel rims (its downgrading).
Steel rims costs Rs2000 for a set of 4, nothing else should convince you to change to steel rims. Steel bends, rusts, tubeless tire on it leaks air, heavier, looks ordinary.
If you want to upgrade and feel the difference you should pick 205/55/R16 tires.
195/55/R16 is also fine, at least you would not have to worry about the tire touching the body or spoiling your shocks.
Visaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 11:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you arent changing your OE alloy rims , then 195/60r15 ( Michelin 3 ST) and 205/60R15 ( Michelin XM2) are the ones to look at .
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 11:44   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Stock tyres are 185/65 R15 of Apollo....i want to upgrade the tyres to 195/55 R16
The Ciaz' engines offer adequate power, not explosive. Keeping in mind it's regular power to weight ratio, 205 will be overkill.

I'd suggest you stick with the 15" alloy wheels. The Ciaz has excellent ride quality. 16" wheels will make it stiffer.

The ideal tyre upsize will be 195/60 R15 (less than 2% difference):
Maruti Ciaz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-maruti-ciaz-tyre-comparo.png
Tyre Size Calculator

It's a fairly common size. You'll have lots of tyre options.

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2015 at 11:46.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 15:45   #13
BHPian

re: Maruti Ciaz : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Thank you all for your valuable inputs.

I was interacting with few people who had recently purchased CIAZ ZXI. Some of them have got Apollo as stock tyres, some MRF and few, Good Year. All ZXI+ versions have got Good Year. Does Maruti buy tyres from all companies and put them randomly? or is there any logic behind it?

I have made up my mind. I Will definitely stick to Alloys and maybe an Upgrade to 195/65 R16 if the stock tyres are not of my choice.
Old 9th March 2015, 16:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:

I was interacting with few people who had recently purchased CIAZ ZXI. Some of them have got Apollo as stock tyres, some MRF and few, Good Year. All ZXI+ versions have got Good Year. Does Maruti buy tyres from all companies and put them randomly? or is there any logic behind it?

I have made up my mind. I Will definitely stick to Alloys and maybe an Upgrade to 195/65 R16 if the stock tyres are not of my choice.
I would strongly recommend the Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/60 R15. These tyres are simply awesome and I've had them installed on my Vento TSI and Honda City.

Blindly go for it regardless of what OEM tyres you get on your car.
HKap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 22:27   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I think you're a bit confused. The ZXI comes with 185/65-15 tyres on 15" alloys. The ZXI+ has 195/55-16 which means 16" alloys.

You cannot put 16" tyres on a 15" wheel.

Effectively your choices for tyre size is simple as GTO mentioned.

185/65-15 can be easily replaced by 195/60-15. Ideal upsize.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks