Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2018, 07:14   #31
BANNED

Re: MRF ZLX Tyres

I have recently changed all 5 tires on my Mom's F10D Zen Estilo to MRF ZLX, they were running on Triange(Chinese brand, awesome grip!) tires size 165 which obviously is an up-size from the stock 145, the reason for up-sizing was due to lack of grip with the stock MRF's that came with the car.

The reason for changing tires now was due to them being over 5 years old, they've done roughly under 10k km's but I prefer to change my tires at least once every 5 years to be on the safer side, the grip was still good but I decided to change nonetheless.

I paid a total of 12,500/- for 5 tires including fitment and new valves on all tires after buyback of the 5 Triangle tires.

I decided to go back to stock size as I was looking for a cheaper option considering that the car is rarely used, I expected the tires to have only as much grip as the crappy MRF's that came along with the car, but was I in for a surprise!

I've driven her hard and on those sections where the Triangle's used to start screaming or the earlier MRF's used to fishtail the ZLX held on without a care in the world, only time she broke traction was while panic braking on gravel, and that too wasn't a washout like it would've been on the earlier tires, it was just a slip and grab, all this is while the current tires though stock width are a tad(5% more) taller than the stock tires that came with the car as the exact stock size was not available in the ZLX range.

After using the car for roughly a few thousands I now regret investing in a set of Ceat Milaze's for my G10 Zen, which though are decent for the price of 2250 per tire, still leaves a lot to be desired for comparing the ZLX's, especially when panic braking.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 12:55   #32
BHPian

Planning to replace the OEM set of Bridgestone S322 on my 2012 Alto K10 after 6 years of trouble free use. The reviews on the ZLX 155/65 R13 look good and will probably be the next buy. Wanted to check if there is a specific side the new tyres should be mounted (i.e. the side that should be facing outward) Is there any colour/marker printed on the tyre?
Old 17th December 2018, 20:52   #33
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I am using a Tata Zest. I did more than 89600 kilometers on the ODO in a little more than three years time. My stock Bridgestone B250 (185/60 R15) lasted 47000 kilometers and I replaced it with Apollo Amazer 4G(stock size). Now that has to be replaced. I am stuck between MRF Zlx, Michelin Energy XM2 and Yokohama Earth-1 (all stock size). One MRF authorised shop owner in my city, Kochi, has offered the best price of 4400 per tyre and two other shops has offered Michelin tyree for 5200 and 5500 per tyre. I am yet to take the quote for Yokohama from local dealers. On Amazon it's available for 4625 per tyre. Does Zlx compromise on grip? What would be the best option for me? Would be much grateful for your suggestions.
Old 17th December 2018, 21:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghulsudheesh View Post
I am stuck between MRF Zlx, Michelin Energy XM2 and Yokohama Earth-1
ZLX offers better grip and comfort than other MRF variants (except the Perfinza). However, looking at your running, I would suggest you to go with Michelin XM2s. They are of a different league altogether and offer excellent ride quality, road grip and relative cabin silence - much superior to the ZLXs.

MRFs are to be preferred for their price advantage as well as longevity (in terms of time).

Can't comment on the Yoko's; haven't used them anytime.

Last edited by dailydriver : 17th December 2018 at 21:51.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 22:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
ZLX offers better grip and comfort than other MRF variants (except the Perfinza). However, looking at your running, I would suggest you to go with Michelin XM2s. They are of a different league altogether and offer excellent ride quality, road grip and relative cabin silence - much superior to the ZLXs.

MRFs are to be preferred for their price advantage as well as longevity (in terms of time).

Can't comment on the Yoko's; haven't used them anytime.
Thank you so much for the quick revert! Even I am more inclined towards Micheline except for the price difference. I think it's definitely worth the premium. I will let you know once I am done with this.
raghulsudheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 11:32   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Any long term reviews of MRF ZLX?

I am looking to change the tyres on my WagonR which are currently running on Earth 1s. I had a pretty good experience with the Earth 1s. The one thing that I loved about it is how tough were these tyres. I have had 1 puncture in all of 37k kms till date. I am looking for similar resilience.

Now I need to decide if I should pay a premium of Rs. 500-800/tyre for the Yokos over the ZLX. The car will be used for another year (15k kms) before leading a retired life or being sold off.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 11:51   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Any long term reviews of MRF ZLX?

I am looking to change the tyres on my WagonR which are currently running on Earth 1s. I had a pretty good experience with the Earth 1s. The one thing that I loved about it is how tough were these tyres. I have had 1 puncture in all of 37k kms till date. I am looking for similar resilience.

Now I need to decide if I should pay a premium of Rs. 500-800/tyre for the Yokos over the ZLX. The car will be used for another year (15k kms) before leading a retired life or being sold off.
The ZLX are very comfortable tyres. I am very happy with their performance in dry and wet after using them for 20K kms. Not to mention they are remarkably silent. MRF has done a phenomenal job with these. They are under-rated for sure. Go for them and you will not be disappointed.

No puncture for me till now as well. Keeping the right pressure is very important to experience the cushy ride offered by these tyres
sagarpadaki is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 12:53   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Not to mention they are remarkably silent. MRF has done a phenomenal job with these. They are under-rated for sure. Go for them and you will not be disappointed.

Keeping the right pressure is very important to experience the cushy ride offered by these tyres
I got the ZLX for my WagonR. Immediately after driving, I could immediately notice these 2 points about the ZLX. They are very silent and give a plush ride.

I had upsized to 165/65R14 Yoko Earth 1s. After 3 yrs/40k, the Yokos were giving up. I must confess, I got the MRFs as they were cheaper but with good reviews. After about 50 kms with the city, I am very happy. I will take the highway next weekend and will compare the handling and braking performance later.

I am disappointed on only 1 count so far, the width of the tyre and stance:

MRF ZLX 165 section
MRF ZLX Tyres-new-mrf.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 165 section. This looks much wider than the MRF and gives a beefier look when mounted on a rim.
MRF ZLX Tyres-stepney.jpg
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 11:52   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I have used the MRF ZLX for 5k kms now. In comparison to the Yoko Earth 1s that I had earlier, the ZLX is significantly soft and has less tyre noise. However, the Yoko had slightly better grip and gave less body roll, probably due to the stiffer sidewall. I am a very happy customer because of the plush ride so far.

After using the MRF for 2 months, I find that the tyres lose air pressure much faster than the Yoko. The MRFs lose 4-6 PSi within 15-20 days. I have been refilling at the same fuel bunk during this period and found this loss to be consistent across all four tyres (puncture can be ruled out). In comparison, the Yokos lost 3-4 PSi over a period of 40-45 days. Anyone else observed this issue?

Last edited by ashis89 : 31st May 2019 at 11:54.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 13:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
After using the MRF for 2 months, I find that the tyres lose air pressure much faster than the Yoko. The MRFs lose 4-6 PSi within 15-20 days. I have been refilling at the same fuel bunk during this period and found this loss to be consistent across all four tyres (puncture can be ruled out). In comparison, the Yokos lost 3-4 PSi over a period of 40-45 days. Anyone else observed this issue?
Yes, they do lose more air atleast in comparison to what my earlier Bridgestones used to my Alto K10. I keepchecking the air pressure regularly so do not find it to be an issue
hothatchaway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 08:48   #41
BHPian

Replaced the stock Goodyears on my Grand i10 with upsized 175/65/R14 ZLXs. The stock tyres were absolute crap. Had multiple punctures on everyone of them and it was affecting my confidence to take the car out on long drives. Had finalised Michelin XM2+s but changed at the last minute to the ZLXs. The latter cost lesser than the Michelins (Rs. 4250 vs Rs. 4950) and more importantly are also from a soft compound. They are durable too (dealer says 60k kms life. Will be happy with anything above 40k). Love the ride now. I feel a lot more insulated from the bumps and the road grips seems like it's better. Multiple folks said the MRFs were better suited to our conditions than the Michelins. While I take this with a grain if salt, I do believe the MRFs are quite close to what the Michelins offer.
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 07:00   #42
BHPian

I'm looking to upgrade from my old Michelin xm2s on my A-Star. I initially shortlisted the Yokohama earth 1 and continental cc5s. But after looking through the forums the MRF ZLX seems to be comparable in ride quality to the Michelins. They are also the cheapest of all the three tyres. As people who have used both the Michelins tools and the MRF, how do the MRF compare. Good ride quality and a quiet tyre are important considerations.
Old 3rd August 2020, 10:16   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
I'm looking to upgrade from my old Michelin xm2s on my A-Star. I initially shortlisted the Yokohama earth 1 and continental cc5s. But after looking through the forums the MRF ZLX seems to be comparable in ride quality to the Michelins. They are also the cheapest of all the three tyres. As people who have used both the Michelins tools and the MRF, how do the MRF compare. Good ride quality and a quiet tyre are important considerations.
I have used a set of Earth 1s and now, have a set of ZLX on my WagonR. Earth 1s give a hard ride and the rubber tends to harden pretty quickly which increases road noise over time. However the road grip is superior to ZLX.

On the other hand, ZLX gives a very soft ride quality with a marginal increase in body roll. I have used these tyres for 15k kms so far. In the pothole filled city road, this tyre is the best! Out on the highway, I miss the extra road grip that the Yokohama used to provide.

Long story short, if your major usage is within city with occasional highway use, buy those ZLX. If you frequent the highway then get another set of Michelin

Last edited by ashis89 : 3rd August 2020 at 10:17.
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 18:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Long story short, if your major usage is within city with occasional highway use, buy those ZLX. If you frequent the highway then get another set of Michelin
You have said in an earlier post that the ZLX loses 4-5 psi every 20 or so days. Does it still exhibit that behaviour. I drive once every week and the petrol pump is a bit of a detour for filling air. I'd rather not have to refill air every time i go out.
Old 17th August 2020, 18:43   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
You have said in an earlier post that the ZLX loses 4-5 psi every 20 or so days. Does it still exhibit that behaviour. I drive once every week and the petrol pump is a bit of a detour for filling air. I'd rather not have to refill air every time i go out.
Yes that is correct. The ZLX tyres do lose air quicker than the other tyres, about 4 PSi in a month and the behavior was consistent throughout the 15k kms I used the those tyres. I also found that filling the tyres to 35 PSi gave a better softer ride. The car (with those tyres) is with my parents now.

In comparison, the Yokohama took almost 2 months to lose similar amount of air pressure. And I used my car almost every day of the month.

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th August 2020 at 18:46.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks