Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 22:33   #151
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I was fiddling about today at the Tyre Balancing and wheel alignment place.

Came away quite impressed with the MRF Wanderer AT's and the Yoko Geolandar AT's. MRF Wanderers cost Rs 6750 per tyre and Yokos are at 8000 per tyre. The Bridgestone Dueler HT's that I saw cost 7000 per tyre.

For the kind of use that it appears you may be putting your vehicle to, I would suggest MRF if you are looking for a slightly harder compound which will pretty much guarantee you a longer life of the tyre.

Else, I ve also always had a soft spot for those Goodyear Wrangler AT's and BF Goodrich AT's as well - but in the course of my enquiries here in Bangalore both these brands are quite hard to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
Hi guys,
I have recently purchased a 4wd Scorpio (2004/ Turbo 2.6) which needs tire replacement. My vehicle has Alloys and 255/70/15 Michelin LTX.
Retaining the 255/70/15 size, please advise amongst the following:
1. Michelin LTX
2. Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
3. Bridgestone Dueler A/T
Apart from the highway use, I will also be taking the vehicle off-road (I officiate in Desert Storm rally, and participate in OTRs too). Considering my usage, please advise the best suited option.
Cheers!
ashish
Old 26th April 2011, 23:46   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
Hi guys,
I have recently purchased a 4wd Scorpio (2004/ Turbo 2.6) which needs tire replacement. My vehicle has Alloys and 255/70/15 Michelin LTX.
Retaining the 255/70/15 size, please advise amongst the following:
1. Michelin LTX
2. Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
3. Bridgestone Dueler A/T
Apart from the highway use, I will also be taking the vehicle off-road (I officiate in Desert Storm rally, and participate in OTRs too). Considering my usage, please advise the best suited option.
Cheers!
ashish

Ashish the up-sizes for the scorp in 15 incher's

245/70-15
255/65-15
225/70-15
235/70-15 and considering the fact that you are running 255/70-R15 am sure you have some amount of speedo error.

Read up this thread (The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread) from post 271 onwards, has quite a bit of information on tires. I wonder why you haven't considered the BFG's and Yoko's? Some of our OTR guys here swear by the off road performance of the Yoko AT's. My Scorp has been running on the Yoko AT's for the last 20k or so kms and my review is available here.

Also please stay away from option 3, one of the worst when it comes to road noise.
Old 5th November 2011, 22:04   #153
BHPian

Friends,
My 2005 non-CRDe Scorpio has done 120K kms & has been running on Michelin (235/75/R15) since last 70K kms. Now the side walls/shoulders of two out of the four tyres have been repeatedly getting punctured, pretty frequently. So I have decided to replace them. But I also want to replace my Scorp with a new SUV either later next year or in 2013. My average run per month is around 2K-2.5K, I do not want to spend a lot of money on replacing the tyres.

Please suggest which set of tyres do I go for considering the scenario above. Kumho, Apollo, Continental are between 4.5K-5.2K. All others are between 5.5K - 7.5K.

I need to change them sometime next week, so please pour in your valuable suggestions, quickly.
Old 6th November 2011, 09:38   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Friends,
My 2005 non-CRDe Scorpio has done 120K kms & has been running on Michelin (235/75/R15) since last 70K kms. Now the side walls/shoulders of two out of the four tyres have been repeatedly getting punctured, pretty frequently. So I have decided to replace them. But I also want to replace my Scorp with a new SUV either later next year or in 2013. My average run per month is around 2K-2.5K, I do not want to spend a lot of money on replacing the tyres.

Please suggest which set of tyres do I go for considering the scenario above. Kumho, Apollo, Continental are between 4.5K-5.2K. All others are between 5.5K - 7.5K.

I need to change them sometime next week, so please pour in your valuable suggestions, quickly.
Gurus, friends,
please provide your suggestions. I am looking to change the tyres today.
Old 6th November 2011, 10:13   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Gurus, friends,
please provide your suggestions. I am looking to change the tyres today.
If you're planning to replace the Scorp in 2 years, get Apollos or MRF Wanderers. They're not very expensive. Plus they're hard rubber, so won't cause you pains with punctures and wear out slowly (when the time of sale comes, they'll still look newish )
Old 6th November 2011, 11:59   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
If you're planning to replace the Scorp in 2 years, get Apollos or MRF Wanderers. They're not very expensive. Plus they're hard rubber, so won't cause you pains with punctures and wear out slowly (when the time of sale comes, they'll still look newish )
Thanks for the advice mate! Wanderers are a tad costly at 6500 odd per piece. What about Kumho, am getting them at 4500 per tyre.
Old 6th November 2011, 13:00   #157
BHPian

HEy guys , Will be picking up a Scorpio LX 4X4 in a few days , it comes with 235/70/16 Apollo Hawkz A/T . Thinking of changing them, vehicle will be driven 70% on roads & 30% off it . I somehow don like the tread pattern of the Hawkz A/T . I like the Hawkz R/T pattern , is it a bold choice to change from A/T to R/T .

Which other tyre choices do i have A/T or R/T ?
Old 7th November 2011, 08:51   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
HEy guys , Will be picking up a Scorpio LX 4X4 in a few days , it comes with 235/70/16 Apollo Hawkz A/T . Thinking of changing them, vehicle will be driven 70% on roads & 30% off it . I somehow don like the tread pattern of the Hawkz A/T . I like the Hawkz R/T pattern , is it a bold choice to change from A/T to R/T .

Lx 4x4 are you sure ?

I would suggest you to stick to A/T, since your usage is more on-road. If you dont like the pattern, then exchange them for the newer set of tires, you might end paying about 1k-1.5k per tyre.

Last edited by 2500cc : 7th November 2011 at 09:16.
Old 7th November 2011, 09:13   #159
BHPian

Quote:

I hv changed mine to Apollo hawkz for 100% highway/city usage.They are very good in my view.

cheers!
Old 8th November 2011, 07:28   #160
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

hi

is this a brand new LX 4x4?
Sorry if you've already explained but I didnt see.
If you can, ask the guy to give you the Bridgestone HT Duelers as OEM. Mine have lasted about 47500kms and still going very strong with all sorts of usage patterns - highways, potholed city roads, jungle trails and estate roads and all that stuff.
If your vehicle is going to be driven 70% on road and 30% off it, then I would always suggest either HT or max AT. You can also try Wanderers, they are pretty good too and being of a harder compound they will last for ages.

Quote:

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 09:21   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I second Shankars view. My Bridgestone Duellers are running about 46K kilometers and have atleast 15K life left in them. I have used it in many off-road situations including the famed Palar river bed in chennai. They do fine for moderate off-road situations.

Although it is an HT Tyre, the tread blocks are quite large and act like an AT tyre.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:52   #162
BHPian

Hi,

Need new shoes for my scorpio. I have done 76K on my JK Elanzo stock tyres. The last 5K was a bit of stretch on these tyres. Now I am looking for new tyres. I am exploring bridgestone & yokohama. From the reviews, it appears that yokohama have week side profile and are more prone to burts if the vehicle runs on rugged and pot holes [read NH13 between chitradurga and hospet]. So should i opt for bridgestone. My highway/city usage is around 70/30. And when I am on highways, most often the roads are not in good condition. I want the new tyres to last for 1L this time. Is there any other tyres I could explore apart from bridgestone.

Please note that I need to change the tyres by tomorrow. So early responses would do good for me.

Also Where can I expect to get Bridgestone D694 AT tyres in bangalore. I had called tyre professionals, Reliance Auto Zone and Cherry. I didn't get them.

thanks,
Prakash
Old 24th January 2012, 11:31   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

D694 is not available currently. I think the best thing would be to get Yoko Geolandars. They are not that soft. And the very high profile of an SUV tyre would mean very small chance of damaging a tyre. For the slightly softer sidewall, you get much better ride quality, better handling and braking. Seeing that you drive 70% of the time on the highway, it's even more worth it for you to go for a Yoko. I would recommend a Michelin LTX but it isnt available as of now.
Old 24th January 2012, 12:31   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

@Nikhil, how's Maxxis in 215/75 R15 ? Bolero top end is coming with Maxxis as OE.
Old 24th January 2012, 12:54   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
D694 is not available currently. I think the best thing would be to get Yoko Geolandars. They are not that soft. And the very high profile of an SUV tyre would mean very small chance of damaging a tyre. For the slightly softer sidewall, you get much better ride quality, better handling and braking. Seeing that you drive 70% of the time on the highway, it's even more worth it for you to go for a Yoko. I would recommend a Michelin LTX but it isnt available as of now.
Hi Nikhil,
I drive more frequently on NH13 and country roads which are not too smooth and have many humps and pot holes. Inside the city office to home is hardly 4 kms which is again full of humps. I had made up my mind for bridgestone, but am willing to change to yokohama if you still advice me for Yokohama GeoLander. Which shop is better for Yokohama in bangalore.

thanks,
Prakash

PS: I have to change the tyres today itself. So please advice. :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks