Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2015, 22:49   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

^^ Been on 2 Ceat Czar for 20k km now, very happy. Used to be a little more noisy than the Duelers earlier, but the noise has gone away for some time now. Grip is more than sufficient, and they are comparable to the Duelers in any other way. No issues faced at all. And do check Czar prices vs. any other tyre brand.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 15th February 2015 at 22:51.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 10:22   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi Folks,

I've got quotes for the usual suspects - BS Duelers, Yokos and Michelins - but also wanted to know how are the MRF Wanderers rated? Any other tyres that I should consider?

Cheers,
Vikram
In the below order

1- Yoko's/Michelins
2 - BS Duelers (try and keep away. High road noise and the grip is a joke)

My Yoko Geo's have run close to 55k and I am considering replacing them soon. Has enough tread to do another 10k, but in 5 years time the rubber should have hardened and I don't want to take any chances.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 19:28   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I am thinking of replacing them soon.
I've got quotes for the usual suspects - BS Duelers, Yokos and Michelins - but also wanted to know how are the MRF Wanderers rated? Any other tyres that I should consider?
Have been using Yoko's for the past 43K's and the journey has been awesome. Truly worth every rupee spent on them. The car has been used on worst of the tracks, and they have performed flawlessly. Price in Delhi as of today should be around 7000/-.
ScorpMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 21:15   #304
BHPian

Hey guys,

I am ready to change the tyres for my Scorpio. Wasn't sure what to replace the older Hawkz AT that gave me a decent 50k in rough use.

Was going through this thread thinking by now I will have more clarity, but it seems I have some more options to explore now :

So please help make my life simpler here:
Ride: 2012 4x4 Scorpio
Current shoes: Apollo Hawkz (2012 tread) AT done 50k.
Requirement: since my work and passion takes me to places like Leh Spiti and Rajasthan often, my running is mostly (let's say 50%) offroad/ dirt tracks/ sand / broken roads. 30% highways to reach the above roads and the remaining 20% is city driving. For which I require tyres that are comfortable on the highway, doesn't loose grip at high speed/breaking or wet Tarmac, can glide over rough terrains and as much immune to punctures (changing tyre at 15000 ft is something I am not a big fan of).

1. Yokohoma Geos: out of the question. Have had some really bad experiences with them in the past.
2. MRF wanderers at - used but I think there are better choices now
3. Apollo Hawkz at - currently own. Quite satisfied. New tread seems a lot better. However wanting something that is stronger on rough roads. Also could not find any reviews or comparisons
4. Continental cross contact: ran them for a few days. Great on offroad - just glides over n absorbs the bumps but quick to leave Tarmac on wet Tarmac and hard bends in the mountain.
5. Ceat czar at - no idea

Please help tyre gurus.

Thanks
Abhey
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-image.jpg  

Old 6th March 2015, 22:06   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcererenator View Post
5. Ceat czar at - no idea
Been using a pair of Ceat Czar HT on the front axle (as opposed to BS Dueler HT on the rear) for the last 20k km or so, and am happy with them. No cuts / punctures (one of the Duelers had one puncture). Were more noisy in the beginning, but after some time the noise seems to have disappeared on its own. Going by the degree of wear at present, with my style of driving, I'd expect them to last as well as the original Duelers. Here's the story of my tyre change: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3425370.

You could also consider Michelin LTX AT2 - members 1100D and M.Khanna seem to be extremely happy with them, even with plenty of rough use.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 6th March 2015 at 22:08.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 01:46   #306
BHPian

hmm LTX AT2 is another good option. Will check these out the coming weekend. Also thinking of slightly upsizing to 245/70R16. Any issues with that?

My take is that the vehicle will probably become a bit more stable. Thoughts?
Old 17th March 2015, 08:47   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hmm LTX AT2 is another good option. Will check these out the coming weekend. Also thinking of slightly upsizing to 245/70R16. Any issues with that?
I am running 255/65/R16 Geolanders on my Scorpio and havent had any problems as such.

Quote:
My take is that the vehicle will probably become a bit more stable. Thoughts?
You must be joking . They need to change the suspension setup to something stiffer on the MHawk's and until then it's never stable.
Old 17th March 2015, 09:12   #308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
They need to change the suspension setup to something stiffer on the MHawk's and until then it's never stable.
Which they already have done. I know after reading my experience, most Scorpio owners would like to try a 4WD out.

BTW, the tires for the new Scorpio are the same as in XUV. Think Captiva too has the same tires & maybe Rexton as well.
Old 17th March 2015, 09:27   #309
BHPian

I've used the Michelin Latitude Cross on my 2008 Scorpio for over 70k kms now. They still have another 10 k left on them. 75% tarmac and the rest mud, slush and dirt tracks. Hardly any true off-roading since its a 2 wheel drive.. Will be changing them next month because psychologically i remain concerned that they've outlived their life.

One pair of tires i will not recommend is the JK elanzos. They hardly lasted 50k and were a nightmare in that phase.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 01:07   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I am running 255/65/R16 Geolanders on my Scorpio and havent had any problems as such.
I read on one of the forums somewhere here I guess that size is touching the suspension or something in the later models. Mine is a 2012. Could I request you to put a snap of your ride with the tyres (hoping they are without any negative offset alloys). It will help me get a feeler how they look as well
Old 21st April 2015, 21:08   #311
BANNED

Alloy wheels for Scorpio.

Greetings to one and all,

I have posted this query to a couple of very learned bhpians, but putting it out in the forum so that it might help others facing (or about to face) after they upgraded their beloved Scorpio with new alloys.

Now the NG Scorpio comes shod with 17" wheels from S4 onwards, but unfortunately the alloys available in the top models cost a whopping 60K (thanks Mahindra!). Hence yours truly put on 2 pairs of alloys from Onyx, which proclaimed to have been specifically for the Scorpio.

The dimensions I saw on the packaging said 17x8J. I guess one doesn't get alloys of 17" under 7.5J (someone with a S8/10 can please let us know the width of the OEM alloys pls).

Whereas the ones I went for were nice, but I also noticed that the steering wheel would move either ways while going over a pothole/ bumpers/ undulations on the road. This is not a small twitch, but a perceptible one that literally changes the direction of the car if the steering is not held firmly.

Can anyone here tell me if this is an acceptable and normal behaviour? I don't leave the steering at any point in time, but this movement is rather disconcerting.

Guys. Please. Help!

(ps. Thanks Sheel for directing me to this thread &#128522
Old 6th June 2015, 20:47   #312
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi,

I went through all the threads and was happy to see people talking about some domestic brands of tyres as well..most of the time we hear about Michelin, Yokos, Contis, Bridgestone etc but i saw people talking about MRF, GoodYear (though Good Year is essentially not a domestic brand but less talked about), Ceat and JK's.

I somehow feel that Indian Tyres are better suited to Indian terrain, just that we don't see too many Indian brands manufacturing quality tyres or have a bad name in the market.

I have a Xylo E9 doing 40k kms and I am going to spiti this month. I want to change my tyres which have still some 10-15k life left in them. But considering the terrain in spiti, I need to get a new set of rubber. I am currently running on Bridgestone Dueler A/T 215/75 R15 tyres and the stepney is completely unused for 3 years. I am looking at MRF Wanderer, Goodyear Wrangler, recently launched Ceat Czar A/T. I have no complaint with Bridgestones but want to try some other brand which will not let me down.

Yoko is ruled out owing to weak sidewalls. Bridgestone would be my last choice. The unused stepney is 3 years old now and some tyre dealers have said i can buy 3 Bridgestones and use that stepney as the forth tyre without any issues.

Read about Ceat Czar on this thread and also saw a review which compared it to Yoko Geolander and said it was better than Geo. Checked just now with a dealer and he quoted 5500 per tyre with alignment balancing and nitrogen free on buying 4 tyres.

He also had GoodYear Wrangler AT/SA with SilentArmor technology which i did not see on goodyear website as it is listing only Wrangler RT/S. Cost of this tyre is also 5500 a piece. While RT/S is an all season tyre, AT/SA seems to be all terrain as the name suggests.

I found Ceat tyre as soft which looks to be silent on road from the tread pattern and softness..GY a bit harder..but the dealer said..both tyres on inflation will be equally hard.

If I go for Bridgestones, I'll go for 3 new ones and if i have to choose between Ceat or Goodyear I'll go for 4 tyres and keep the stepney as it is. I request all here to help me decide which tyre I should go for.

Another dealer has quoted Rs. 750 per tyre for my used Bridgestones..Is this correct for a mere 40k used tyre ?

Regards,
Old 9th June 2015, 08:48   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Hi,

I went through all the threads and was happy to see people talking about some domestic brands of tyres as well..most of the time we hear about Michelin, Yokos, Contis, Bridgestone etc but i saw people talking about MRF, GoodYear (though Good Year is essentially not a domestic brand but less talked about), Ceat and JK's.

I somehow feel that Indian Tyres are better suited to Indian terrain, just that we don't see too many Indian brands manufacturing quality tyres or have a bad name in the market.

I have a Xylo E9 doing 40k kms and I am going to spiti this month. I want to change my tyres which have still some 10-15k life left in them. But considering the terrain in spiti, I need to get a new set of rubber. I am currently running on Bridgestone Dueler A/T 215/75 R15 tyres and the stepney is completely unused for 3 years. I am looking at MRF Wanderer, Goodyear Wrangler, recently launched Ceat Czar A/T. I have no complaint with Bridgestones but want to try some other brand which will not let me down.

Yoko is ruled out owing to weak sidewalls. Bridgestone would be my last choice. The unused stepney is 3 years old now and some tyre dealers have said i can buy 3 Bridgestones and use that stepney as the forth tyre without any issues.

Read about Ceat Czar on this thread and also saw a review which compared it to Yoko Geolander and said it was better than Geo. Checked just now with a dealer and he quoted 5500 per tyre with alignment balancing and nitrogen free on buying 4 tyres.

He also had GoodYear Wrangler AT/SA with SilentArmor technology which i did not see on goodyear website as it is listing only Wrangler RT/S. Cost of this tyre is also 5500 a piece. While RT/S is an all season tyre, AT/SA seems to be all terrain as the name suggests.

I found Ceat tyre as soft which looks to be silent on road from the tread pattern and softness..GY a bit harder..but the dealer said..both tyres on inflation will be equally hard.

If I go for Bridgestones, I'll go for 3 new ones and if i have to choose between Ceat or Goodyear I'll go for 4 tyres and keep the stepney as it is. I request all here to help me decide which tyre I should go for.

Another dealer has quoted Rs. 750 per tyre for my used Bridgestones..Is this correct for a mere 40k used tyre ?

Regards,
After Bridgestone, I would not look beyond either Yokos or Michelins.
Tyres like Goodyear, Ceat, MRF & JK have been just not good enough, either in handling or life.
Goodyear is outright bad.
Having driven my Scorpio for the last 11 years & changed tyres over 10 times, I stick to Yokos & my car has gone on the roughest terrains imaginable - and I still won't go anywhere else.
And I have no prejudice against Indian brands - if I had, I would not have bought a Mahindra!
A yure which is unused for 3 years is worse than a tyre which has been used for 4 years. Please throw it away. And in the future, rotate tyres, do not think that an unused rubber tyre is good
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 11:52   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
After Bridgestone, I would not look beyond either Yokos or Michelins.
Tyres like Goodyear, Ceat, MRF & JK have been just not good enough, either in handling or life.
Goodyear is outright bad.
Having driven my Scorpio for the last 11 years & changed tyres over 10 times, I stick to Yokos & my car has gone on the roughest terrains imaginable - and I still won't go anywhere else.
And I have no prejudice against Indian brands - if I had, I would not have bought a Mahindra!
A yure which is unused for 3 years is worse than a tyre which has been used for 4 years. Please throw it away. And in the future, rotate tyres, do not think that an unused rubber tyre is good
HV Sir,

I wasn't expecting a response from you on this thread but good to hear surprisingly from you on your experience and suggestion. I am not arguing with you here but just want to clear a few points which I read on various blogs.

I have been through various blogs on Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA tires and read many people talking positive about this tire. I agree there have been issues, but the issues mentioned were with earlier versions of RT/S and those previous to RT/S. If Goodyear was bad, why would a Land Rover be on Goodyear as OEM ? Innova's do come with Goodyear as well. Not sure whether you would like to go through but here are the links.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Go...gler-AT-SA.htm

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=33593

A comparison between Czar and Geos is below.

http://www.oncars.in/car-features/ty...landar-ats/221

People might have their own perceptions but many of them have praises for the AT/SA model. Since I read good about the Wranglers I thought of taking the plunge. After all it is saving me good bucks and I am even thinking of discarding the stepney and replace it with the new tyre and then rotate the stepney as well which will give me even tread pattern and longer life on all 5 tyres.

I am not thinking of keeping the old tire but I also came across a document from World Rubber Industries where they mentioned a tire can be used even if it is unused for 3-4 years but should not be used beyond 6 years and should be discarded after 10 years in any case. Somehow, read too many side wall issues with Yokos which kind of put me away. I know you have used them for a long time and very satisfied with them.

Your 2 cents pls. to enlighten me..

Regards,
Old 17th July 2015, 10:17   #315
BHPian

All,
I am thinking of booking NGS S4+ 4wd in this or next week and planning to upgrade the tyre as the aspect ratio of current 17" is not of my taste. I would love to see small rim size but with large rubber around it. I am thinking of following options:

1. Purchase black 15" rim(I am not very fond of alloys) and shod them with 235/75 R15(Geolander). This would result into the following:
Tyre Circumference : +3.03%
Ground Clerance: +10mm

2. Purchase black 16" rim and shod them with 245/70 R16(Geolander). This would result into the following:
Tyre Circumference : +5.27%
Ground Clerance: +20mm [I like it!]

3. Use the stock 17" rim and shod them with 265/65 R17. I think this would foul with the suspension; so I might need to check them first. The problem is that not many choices are available in 17" size which shines out as SUV tyres. If this does not foul the suspension, these would result into the following:
Tyre Circumference : +9.0%
Ground Clerance: +30mm

P.S. I know the thumb rule of upsize says that upsize should not exceed 2% but I have seen SUV with 10% upsize which works fine. I hardly cross 100KMPH on open highways this I think upto 6% should be fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks