Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2017, 13:01   #331
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the delayed response, as I was tied up with some work and couldn't follow up.

So far, I have received the following quotes from various sources:

Specs: 235/70 R16

MRF Wanderer AT - 6800/- [Being Considered]
GoodYear Wrangler AT - 7700/- [Being Considered]
[Highest quote received was 8800/- for the one with raised white lettering on the side walls, gave that one a pass]

Following are options I am not considering.

Yokohama Geolander - 6400/- [Due to sidewall concerns]
Bridgestone Dueler HT 689 - 8400/- [Currently on them, but wanted a change]

So now, its a straight up toss between the GoodYear and the MRF.

Any suggestions on which to opt for?

Good Year or the MRF?
Old 6th August 2017, 00:23   #332
BHPian

Thanks for your suggestions so far everyone, I finally decided to go ahead and procure the GoodYear Wranglers AT/SA for my steed.

I did read some good reviews from our fellow TBHPian @Sheel.

[http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...l#post3971859]

I got a quote of 7500/- INR per tyre including balancing and wheel alignment. The tyres come with 2 yrs unconditional warranty from the manufacturer, and look good too! Hence sounded like a great deal.

Some pics to go as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170729_161410391.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170729_172103089.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170729_172012779.jpg  

Old 7th December 2017, 10:39   #333
BHPian

Hi Folks!

I am currently driving a Mahindra Scorpio S10 2015 model. Covered 51000 km in about 2 years. I usually do long highway trips, the last one being from Delhi - Hyderabad about 3 months back.

I am looking for a tyre change now. Currently the vehicle is running on 235/35/R17. I am looking for a +zero upgrade to 255/60/R17. I shall be using the stock alloy wheels.

I need help with the below

1. The recommendation of brand and model of tyres
2. Pros/Cons of the + zero upgrade
3. Recommended shops at Hyderabad for the purchase

Regards
S.I.N.G.H
Old 29th March 2018, 22:36   #334
BHPian

Project Rubber - Time for some new shoes for my 2012 Scorpio.

Thanks to the Stock MRF Wanderers 235/70/R16 - These factory fit tyres never let me down anytime anywhere in the span of Six years and 75000 Kms on ODO. With some extra care like alignment, Rotation and Balancing every 5000 Kms kept every single ride smooth and break-free. Believe it or not, the very first puncture was somewhere in 2015 and the second one on 2017. Two more at the same time in the previous week suspecting due to a new tyre repair (puncture shop) that was opened near my house is spilling nails all over the lane. Though there is still some rubber left to push to another 10-15K, I am not willing to compromise on safety.
Yes ! its time for some new shoes

Type of Roads - I do mostly City+highway drives and very less off-roading Being a 2WD. Still would expect the tyres to manage bad roads and some rough terrains (Planning for Spiti and Leh with the new set).
Speeds - Mostly 120+ on Highways.

Requirement - Being Performance as the main factor, I am looking for tyres that has -
Good wet & dry grip (+ Cornering Grip)
Off course better Breaking than any ..
Less tyre noise.

Options - shortlisted based on some of the threads and posts related to Tyres in Teambhp -
1) Michelin LTX Force
2) Bridgestone DUELER 689

Now I am also hearing that Tyre up-size will slightly reduce the body roll on Scorpio, give good breaking, good grip at corners being wide - Exploring options on upgrading from 235/70/R17 to 255/60/R17.

Need experts advise here -
1) Michelin or Bridgestone (Or even open to learn on any other tyres that are better than these)
2) Right tyre size upgrade that does not affect the ride stability / Steering response. Might also add Alloys to the new shoes.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 30th March 2018 at 08:38. Reason: Pls. limit to no more than 2 smileys per post. Secondly pls. don't post ....like this ....with dots. Thanks.
Bhargava_sr is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th March 2018, 07:31   #335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyRocks View Post
I did read some good reviews from our fellow TBHPian @Sheel.

[http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...l#post3971859]
How are the tires performing? The 17 inches have slightly different pattern than the 16 inch ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
Hi Folks!

I am currently driving a Mahindra Scorpio S10 2015 model. Covered 51000 km in about 2 years. I usually do long highway trips, the last one being from Delhi - Hyderabad about 3 months back.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3971859]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
Project Rubber - Time for some new shoes for my 2012 Scorpio.

Thanks to the Stock MRF Wanderers 235/70/R16 -
Now I am also hearing that Tyre up-size will slightly reduce the body roll on Scorpio, give good breaking, good grip at corners being wide - Exploring options on upgrading from 235/70/R17 to 255/60/R17.
s.
That is a load of smilies there.

You have got me confused, you have a 2012 Scorpio which should imply, it has 16 inch wheels and you are exploring 17 inch wheels? I am unsure as to how successful would that be, that being said, there are many more options in 16 inch and they are cheaper as well.

For 16 inch, my options would be
# Michelin Ltx AT2
# Yokohama Geolander
# Bridgestone 689

For 17 inch tires, we have a new thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3971859]
Old 30th March 2018, 09:54   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You have got me confused, you have a 2012 Scorpio which should imply, it has 16 inch wheels and you are exploring 17 inch wheels?
============
For 17 inch tires, we have a new thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3971859]
Thanks , my bad it was a typo - I am Exploring options on upgrading from 235/70/R16 to 255/60/R16. No change in the Rim size.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th March 2018 at 12:15. Reason: Removing full quoted post.
Old 16th April 2019, 19:59   #337
BHPian

83K and stock MRF Wanderers are still running on my 2012 Scorpio, It is now high time to get some fresh rubber.

Today visited Tyre Empire in HSR (Bangalore). Suggestions were -

1) Michelin LTX Force (Approx costing Rs.9,000)
2) Bridgestone Dueler 689 (Costing Rs.8,300)

Store is also offering free Michelin 12260 Hi-Power Tyre Inflator with Detachable Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge (Black) on the purchase of 4 tyres.

Need some expert advise to choose between Michelin and BS.

It would be great if someone can throw some light on replacing stock rims with Alloys, if it makes any difference in the ride quality (Basically want to know if it helps in any way reducing the body roll).

Few advantages of Alloys that I heard -

1) Alloys are stronger and lighter than the Stock Rims.

2) Improve driving stability and better traction in cornering.

No tyre up-sizing.
Old 11th June 2019, 19:53   #338
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre upsized

Just got my Scorpio tyres upgraded. Moved from Michellin LTX AT2 which had run 80,000 KMs to Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA. In the process i upsized a bit from 235/70/R16 104S to 245/70/16 111T, i have 8J alloys, so decided to go for a slightly wider profile. Wranglers cost me 8300 which is less than stock sized Michellin LTX Force.

My main concern with Michellin's was soft sidewall, got two shoulder punctures on Michellin, so decided on a upsized Goodyear which has higher load bearing capacity. Expecting this to be stronger compared to Michellin.
Will share pics and review soon.
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:40   #339
Senior - BHPian

Guys, our 2014 2WD Scorpio VLX which came with 235/70R16 is due for tyre change. Can it take 245/75R16, JK Elanzo Supra tyres? This is the only tyre of this size readily available in my town. Will there be any rubbing issues on lock to lock turns? 235/70R16 tyre dia is 28.95 inch. 245/75R16 tyre dia will be 30.46 inch. A jump of an inch and a half. The other option is 245/70R16 (tyre dia 29.5 inch) which is available in various brands.

I don't like fat tyres. Rather, I like taller tyres to raise the floor height. I'm planning 245/75R16 on stock rims. One and half inch tyre height rise means 0.75 inch ride height. Any suggestions?
Old 3rd August 2020, 21:48   #340
BHPian

I need serious suggestions from Team BHPians. I am planning to buy a new BS6 Scorpio in black color. The first mod in my list is upgrading the tyres. I will not be doing any offroading as such and the car will mostly be on the highways. However I will for sure take her up the hills and terrains at times. So I feel AT's will good. Now my biggest dilemma is what size should I upgrade to ? I want the car to look bulky but at the same time do not want the tyres to play spoil sport ,while turning or crossing a bump, by touching the body. Also I do not want the wheels to be protruding out of the body. It should be parallel to the fender.

I will not stick to the stock 17 inchers for sure. The 20 inchers look fab but ergonomically I am sure it will not be good. So gents need your valuable inputs in my first mod of the shoes. Thanks in advance :-)
Old 18th September 2020, 13:17   #341
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Am getting a good deal on MRF Wanderer Street TL tyres. Are they good?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th September 2020 at 16:13. Reason: Copied your post from the other thread to here. Thanks.
Old 18th September 2020, 14:22   #342
Senior - BHPian

Extremely hard compound tyres, they'll last a long time but aren't terribly grippy. I would suggest that you get Michelin Primacy SUV if you can, or stick to the stock tyre for the Scoprio, Bridgestone Duelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Got it done from Shell pump yesterday. They stock Bosch and Purolator oil filters too. I insisted on Purolator as recommended. But 1 more issue surfaced during the wheel alignment. All 4 Michelin tyres (43k kms and 7 year old) have developed cracks.

Am getting a good deal on MRF Wanderer Street TL tyres. Are they good? Pls let me know if I need to post this in a different forum?

Thanks in advance...
Old 18th September 2020, 14:28   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Extremely hard compound tyres, they'll last a long time but aren't terribly grippy. I would suggest that you get Michelin Primacy SUV if you can, or stick to the stock tyre for the Scoprio, Bridgestone Duelers.
As my usage is low and the price is good (will be getting around dealer price) so thought of going for these. Also the car registration is valid for another 3.5 years only. Micheline/BS will increase my budget to 40-50%. That's why I thought of going with MRF
Old 18th September 2020, 15:14   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
As my usage is low and the price is good (will be getting around dealer price) so thought of going for these. Also the car registration is valid for another 3.5 years only. Micheline/BS will increase my budget to 40-50%. That's why I thought of going with MRF
Any brand new tyre of the correct size and type will feel and work better than a very old worn out tire. MRF Wanderer A/T used to come OE for certain batches of Scorpio - it has the looks, wide thread as well , There is an MRF Wanderer Sport which used to come as OE for Duster, a grippy, silent and comfortable tire. I think Scorpio size is available as per the online catalogue, please do check it out.

An alternative is Goodyear Wrangler RT, same price as MRF Wanderer A/T.

If you are visiting JC road, stop at Shiv Shakthi tires opposite the MLCP, its a one price deal with that Gentleman, usually better than everyone else.

PS : Best to change tires at 5th or 6th year regardless of Kms. TUVs user manual says 6th year, I think its a good guideline for all cars.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 17:38   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
There is an MRF Wanderer Sport which used to come as OE for Duster, a grippy, silent and comfortable tire. I think Scorpio size is available as per the online catalogue, please do check it out.
An alternative is Goodyear Wrangler RT, same price as MRF Wanderer A/T.
Thanks again Kosfactor. I am getting a very good deal through my MRF contacts so will stick to it only. Didn't see Wanderer Sport listed under 235/70R16 size. Will check again. But this time my car will outlast the tyres it seems
JKBKS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks