Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 22:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Changed over to Yokos Geolander AT's 235 /70/16 on my Scorp CRDE 2007 June, 35.8 K kms. The OE JK Elanzons were worn out pretty heavily, though my usage was mostly good roads, high speed long distance, may be 10% hills and 5 % bad roads, this does not warrent the heavy wear out. They were lousy in other quarters also, gave a stiffer ride (rigid sidewalls) and felt very worried on hard braking.

I am planning some North Long Distance, doing them on the JK's with family is a death wish. Did a lot of research on the upsizing, tyre options and deciced on the silica tyres of the Yokos and because of the tred patterns. The main reason for decising to change was a recent report of a 35 K elanzo disintegrating on a Scorp on the Leh section, scary and rave reports from Yoko users.

Got it at a price band of 5600-5800 through known circles (not authorized to give you the correct price) but you can guess!!!! This includes free fitting, balancing, the works............ and 400/- per old tyre on buy back.
The week of manufacture 17/09 meaning April which is also good, if the tyre is older than 6 months, its not ideal to buy as I understood from some tyre gurus.

Experience: Great!!!! The tyre roar was unbearable above 120 on the Elanzos earlier, now it's way down and hugely quieter, did a 50 km test run on the highway today. The truck is more stable on braking, on rumble strips the judder is much more less ( due to more flexible side wall, not to be read weaker). I can feel the reduced the braking distance and feel a little more surer about the truck than earlier. All around, so far, I feel the money is well spent.

The whole experience from the time I initiated an enquiry was professional, there was constant communication about prices, information and the Sales guy incharge hand-held me and delivered the tyre, promises and time lines on the dot.

Other yoko users, your experience please.

======
Old 13th July 2009, 13:36   #47
BHPian

Money Well Spent. Ideal Choice for Scorpio.
Old 13th July 2009, 13:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

My Yoko experience - 235/75/R15, slightly difefrent spec from Ramky's

Good grip on wet roads
Low tyre noise
Good braking, but since my brake pads are near the end of their life, can't really say if it is great
Reduced mileage vis-a-vis Bridgestone ATs
Good high-speed performance, but not as good as Bridgestone ATs, tests being taking turns at 120 kmph plus on good 4/6-lane roads
Old 13th July 2009, 14:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

I feel the best non-indian tyre for SUV's like Scorpio is Pirelli Scorpion.
Old 13th July 2009, 17:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I feel the best non-indian tyre for SUV's like Scorpio is Pirelli Scorpion.
Check out prices for Michellien and Pirellie, they quoted final price of 6K per tyre and not hugely different from the Yokos. Also could not find many user experiences for them on a Scorp though they are highly rated in other reviews internationally.

=====
Old 29th September 2009, 17:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

hey guys, my old scorpio GLX non-CRDe is due for a tyre change now. its odo reading is 1.8 lakh kms.

please note that the older scorpios used to come with 15 inch wheels & not 16 inch wheels (does that matter?)!!!

i have no idea about good tyres except that michelin, yokohama, etc are some premium brands. can you help me select a good tyre for my scorpio?

priorities are-
1) good life
2) low tyre noise
3) good ride comfort
4) white lettering on its sidewalls! (i would not prefer to paint it aftermarket)

i do not need AT tyres as there is no plan for any off roading. at the same time, please do not recommend softer compounds as roads in kerela (especially where my scorpio goes) are pretty bad.

the car came shod with bridestones which was replaced with MRF in 2006.
Old 30th September 2009, 21:54   #52
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

you could check out MRF Wanderer, Apollo Hawkz and/ or the usual Bridgestone Dueler HT's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hey guys, my old scorpio GLX non-CRDe is due for a tyre change now. its odo reading is 1.8 lakh kms.

please note that the older scorpios used to come with 15 inch wheels & not 16 inch wheels (does that matter?)!!!

i have no idea about good tyres except that michelin, yokohama, etc are some premium brands. can you help me select a good tyre for my scorpio?

priorities are-
1) good life
2) low tyre noise
3) good ride comfort
4) white lettering on its sidewalls! (i would not prefer to paint it aftermarket)

i do not need AT tyres as there is no plan for any off roading. at the same time, please do not recommend softer compounds as roads in kerela (especially where my scorpio goes) are pretty bad.

the car came shod with bridestones which was replaced with MRF in 2006.
Old 30th September 2009, 22:06   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

raj,

I would suggest you check out the Geolandar A/Ts, Michelin LTX and the Bridgestone Duelers.

Even though the first two are A/T they are better even on road when compared to the Bridgestones(Actually, I dont have first hand experience with the Michelin LTX, but definitely the Yoko).

Check out the pattern, prices and then decide whichever you want.
Old 12th November 2009, 01:05   #54
sat
BHPian

Michelin LTX AT2

Purchased Michelin LTX A/T2 for a scorpio, chose the michelin in favour of the yoko, am happy with the perfomance of these tires.

The MI road dealer in jaipur sold them for 6400/-

- www.michelin.in

When I spoke to a senior michelin person in the Delhi office, he clearly mentioned that michelin tires did not benefit from nitrogen being used to inflate the tires. This was due to the fact that the compounds used in michelin tires allowed the tires to run at lower temperature than other tire manufacturers.. It was very difficult get any of the Michelin technical/sales people on the phone, they kept saying all the info is available on their website. This was not the case with the Yokohama technical/sales people who were a lot more communicative.

Last edited by sat : 12th November 2009 at 01:21. Reason: spelling
Old 12th November 2009, 08:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
you could check out MRF Wanderer, Apollo Hawkz and/ or the usual Bridgestone Dueler HT's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
raj,

I would suggest you check out the Geolandar A/Ts, Michelin LTX and the Bridgestone Duelers.
thanks for the advice friends. i opted for yokohama geloander A/T-S.
Old 12th November 2009, 09:42   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

great
i think these tyres are tops!
perhaps as you post your experiences I will consider them when my need arises!
cheers

Quote:
thanks for the advice friends. i opted for yokohama geloander A/T-S.
Old 16th November 2009, 14:24   #57
BHPian

Raj/hvkumar

I am considering going straight from showroom to get Bridgestone replaced with Yoko Geolander A/Ts for 4wd scorp which should be coming this month end. will save a lot of money if I do this upfront - so need your experience and advise on using them.

Dont really care too much for reduced mileage unless it drops more than 30%, but how bad is the right quality on road compared to bridgestones?

75% time on-road, 25% rocky/quarry roads (if you can call them that) type of usage. But dont want my kids to complain too much on 75% part

Cheers
Old 16th November 2009, 14:32   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Mileage will not drop if you stick to the stock size. Dont worry about it. I would say the Geolandars are a worthwhile investment and will justify the money you spend on the upgrade.
Old 16th November 2009, 15:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Raj/hvkumar

I am considering going straight from showroom to get Bridgestone replaced with Yoko Geolander A/Ts for 4wd scorp which should be coming this month end. will save a lot of money if I do this upfront - so need your experience and advise on using them.

Dont really care too much for reduced mileage unless it drops more than 30%, but how bad is the right quality on road compared to bridgestones?

75% time on-road, 25% rocky/quarry roads (if you can call them that) type of usage. But dont want my kids to complain too much on 75% part

Cheers
i would suggest go for the yokos buddy. these tyres are quite good & ride quality is better, though just slightly. tyre noise is very less though.
Old 16th November 2009, 20:16   #60
BHPian

Quote:
i would suggest go for the yokos buddy. these tyres are quite good & ride quality is better, though just slightly. tyre noise is very less though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Mileage will not drop if you stick to the stock size. Dont worry about it. I would say the Geolandars are a worthwhile investment and will justify the money you spend on the upgrade.
Thanks Raj/Nikilb2008, so you seem to be saying ride quality is actually slightly better - that will do for me. 4500 for upgrade for all 5 tyres - does that sound OK? any other gotchas I need to be aware of while I do this exchange?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks