Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 17:19   #196
sat
BHPian

Yoko for the Scorpio

Decided to replace the OE JK's at the showroom with Yokohama Geolander A/T-S, tyres will be used in the countryside (dirt road 50%, tarmac 50%).
We have michelin LTS on a older scorpio which is 95% on tarmac. The earlier set on the old scorpio of Michelin LTX A/T2 were simply superb... pity there are not available...

3 Dealers in Rajasthan quoted 7000, 7100 (bhilwara) & 7300 (jaipur) for the yoko a/t-s

For the exchange one dealer wanted 2000+ per tyre, the best exchange I could get so far is 1500+, so that is 7,500 for five yoko tyres after exchange.

I checked the date stamp on one set of Yoko's it was 'NIP 2011', which I think means manufactured in the 20th week of 2011.
Is it ok to go for these tyres? or should I stay clear of them...

Last edited by sat : 20th June 2012 at 17:29. Reason: typo error..
Old 20th June 2012, 18:26   #197
sat
BHPian

yokohama tire info - dealers list

http://www.yokohama-india.com/tire_knowledge.html

http://www.yokohama-india.com/geolander_ats.html

Locate our Dealers in India - Dealer locater.

Advisable to contact the yokohama office for dealers in your area, I noticed not all dealers of yokohama were mentioned on the dealer locater page. Perhaps new dealers have not been added to their website.

http://www.yokohama-india.com/contact_us.html - Corporate & branch offices
Old 15th August 2012, 14:31   #198
BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys, need yout inputs. My OEM tyres need to be replaced and I am scouting for the right set. My usage is 80% city and remaining on highways (with a bit of broken roads too, like when we visit areas without 4-lane connectivity).

I see the Yokos seem the favorite. I am assuming people are referring to the ATS, right?

Which are the other options worth looking at? How about the Wanderers, now that they seem to be on Duster as OEM? I am also getting confused between ATs & HTs - which should I go for?

Would love to hear your comments. My vehicle is a 2006 CRDe DX, running on BS Duellers (HT).

Thanx!
Old 19th August 2012, 11:30   #199
BHPian

I am also in the same boat with current JKs having clocked 65k and would need replacement shortly.Typical usage is driving in Delhi/Gurgaon, No offroading, Once in 2-3 year trip to mountains. Leh is next on my agenda.

Based on feedback on this forum, I have shortlisted Michelin LC, MRF Wanderers and Yoko Geo (still confused bet. HT or AT though)

Below are for links for Michelin LC reviews from users in Eng/Aus. Users are quite happy with LCs and they seem to drive on Snow, Gravel, Tarmac and Rural roads.
Michelin Latitude Cross | the Michelin Latitude Cross reviewed and rated | the online tyre guide

Michelin Latitude Cross 4WD Tyre Reviews Australia www.michelin.com.au

I am wondering if Michelin LCs have great reviews because of the kind of cars they are on (Landcruisers, Land Rovers, CRVs, Volvos etc. having advanced systems) and whether they can be successful in similar conditions in India even if they are on a Scorpio?

Last edited by JKBKS : 19th August 2012 at 11:42.
Old 14th September 2012, 13:53   #200
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

One of the travelogues i wrote for "Good Year Travelogue contest" has won me a set of five tyres for my Scorpio from the company .

I have run Scorpio on Bridge Stone HT for last 68K KMs without a hitch and is due for replacement - i had the first puncture last week - and winning Good year tyres could not have come at a better time.

I want your advise. Should i go ahead and change to Good Year or exchange it for some other brand. I am very happy with Bridge Stone.

Please let me know your recommendations.
Old 17th September 2012, 16:11   #201
BHPian

Guys, Looking for replacement for JK tyres, which have done 65k. Planning to sell the scorpio in next 6-8 months so dont want spend a lot. Just looking for affordable ones.

Please suggest.

Also, need recommendation about where to buy in Chennai. Thanks!
Old 17th September 2012, 16:21   #202
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45
Guys, Looking for replacement for JK tyres, which have done 65k. Planning to sell the scorpio in next 6-8 months so dont want spend a lot. Just looking for affordable ones.

Please suggest.

Also, need recommendation about where to buy in Chennai. Thanks!
The JK Elanzos were never very good for he Scorp.
Would always suggest the Bridgestone Dueler HT's.
They will go on pretty much for 65-70k kms without giving trouble. Their ride quality and overall behaviour is much better than the JK's over mixed usage on highways, in city and in the wilds as well, as per my own experience with the Scorp.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 16:54   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Please suggest.
If you are planning to sell the car in a short period, I would suggest JK's. You have used them long enough to know their pro's n cons, and AFAIK they will be the cheapest of the available options.
Old 17th September 2012, 17:01   #204
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am using Apollo Hawkz 265/70/15 for last one year in my 4wd Turbo 2.6 Scorpio. I have done approx 25K kms, including 2 desert storms, and the tyres are performing very well, without even a single puncture.
These are pure VFM tyres, costed me approx 5200/- apiece.
Cheers!
AB
Old 17th September 2012, 17:25   #205
BHPian

Hi All
For the benefit of those looking at changing their Scorpio tyres, i recently changed the tyres of my uncles scorpio to MRF Wanderers. The original JK tyres ran for 70 kms with majorily highway usage.
The MRF wanderers have now done around 7 k and have performed well in both wet and dry conditions. To summarize

Pros
- Broad tyres with good thread pattern, large sidewalls
- Value for money tyres (in comparison with the other brands)

Cons
- Slightly heavy tyres
- Road noise is there, but not very prominent

Hope this helps.
Regards
Ronald
scarecrow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 18:40   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The JK Elanzos were never very good for he Scorp.
Would always suggest the Bridgestone Dueler HT's.
They will go on pretty much for 65-70k kms without giving trouble. Their ride quality and overall behaviour is much better than the JK's over mixed usage on highways, in city and in the wilds as well, as per my own experience with the Scorp.
Thanks Shankar, I would have, if the need is for long term. But as stated above,
I'm going to sell my Scorpio very soon after Ecosport launch. During this period, its going to be 100% city drive (to-fro office and weekend short drives).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
If you are planning to sell the car in a short period, I would suggest JK's. You have used them long enough to know their pro's n cons, and AFAIK they will be the cheapest of the available options.
Yeah i felt the same, how about MRF or Apollo? do they fall in the same price range?

Last edited by klassics45 : 17th September 2012 at 18:42.
Old 28th September 2012, 13:39   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
Hi All
For the benefit of those looking at changing their Scorpio tyres, i recently changed the tyres of my uncles scorpio to MRF Wanderers. The original JK tyres ran for 70 kms with majorily highway usage.
The MRF wanderers have now done around 7 k and have performed well in both wet and dry conditions. To summarize
Pros
- Broad tyres with good thread pattern, large sidewalls
- Value for money tyres (in comparison with the other brands)

Cons
- Slightly heavy tyres
- Road noise is there, but not very prominent
Thanks Ronald, I went for the same and very much happy with it. Big difference in road grip especially on curves. Bought it for Rs.6750/- a piece and seems to be VFM.
Old 23rd March 2013, 23:28   #208
BHPian

Replaced my stock JKs today after 50K kms. Had been trying to zero in on replacements for a while. The choices being Yokohoma Geolanders, Continental ATs, Michelin Latitude cross and Bridgestone Duelers HTs. Did consider MRF wanderers/Apollo Hawkz also for a while.

My heart though was set on Bridgestone duelers from the begining. I like the rugged looks of the tyres. My usage is highways/reasonable roads only and no offroading, so HTs didnt seem like a bad bet.

Bought a set of 4. Cost per tyre - 7500. My 2 JKs had some tread left, so got a buyback of 500 for them. The final cost for 4 tyres thus was 29000. Got free balacing and alignment. The dealer has also offered two free balancing/alignment/rotations at 5K & 10K kms. Really happy with the deal.

Hope to post some pictures soon. Cheers.
nvldvr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 13:05   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Your Scorpio has served you well, you have driven it about 95 K. Obviously being a Mahindra, it served you like a Mahindra and leaking break cylinders, copper pipes rattling, clutch parts replacement was part of the expectations.

But one thing - make sure you do this.

No wonder how your tyre looks ar how much your tread has worn off. Take my advice, purchase a new set of 4 x Bridgestone Dueler H/T of the same size 235/70/R16 and install them with wheel balancing and alignment at the earliest opportunity.

A tyre may look good that it has plenty of tread. But after a rotation of 95 K and bouncing on about a 100,000 potholes in its lifetime, the strenght of the rubber compound and tensile stresght of the sidewalls in now highly doubtful.

Ceat is not a good tyre. It is ok to have it as a spare but dont drive around on it. Whatis it Ceat Fromula 1 radial ? Must be a tube tyre or is it tubeless ?

Please follow my advice change the tyres immediately.
Quote:
SS - traveller - Radial tyres cannot and should not be used in pairs or pieces. All 4 must be replaced at the same time.

Radial tyres do have its advantages but this is the disadvantage a cost of Rs. 30,000 at one go.

The ride quality can never be the best if a mix of different tyre is used.

You have a new Dueler H/T put it in the spare tyre well and buy a set of 4 Dueler H/T or if you like 693 A/T pattern II or MRF Wandrer in that order.

I have a terrible experience with Ceat Formula - 1 steel radials that came as OE on my Bolero SLX. They simply dont fit the grade. I am so disgrunted with CEAT after this that I never bothered to follow the development of this new product, CEAt Czar, will check it out but I am not optimistic about it. Buy a world class product if the price difference is just about 4000 to 5000 Rs.

Another cheaper product doing the rounds now is Maaxxis tyres. They are of comparatively good quality I guess there is a direct product for Scorpio and Tata Safari replacements.

I installed a set of 4 x Yokohama Geolanders in APril 2010. I was unwilling, they had not perfomed well on my Prado VX 99 model. I had run these 275/70/R16 for just about 5000 KM and gave them back to AL Futtaim Motors, the Toyota dealers saying I dont want them. They had given me a set of Toyo Open Country instead to drive on till the tyre I was making with them arrived.

The Yokohama Geolanders drove well for 45,000 Km in about 24 months and then within a span of 3 weeks the sidewall of 2 of them gave away. For another reason that they did not have an ISI mark on them the sale was also stopped for a few months.

Since May 2012 I am running the Bolero on Bridgestone Dueler A/T 693 tread II and they are serving well.

The same tyre had come as OE on my Mahindra Xylo as well, same size ( 215 / 75/R15 )

The Scorpio came with Bridgestone H/T 235 and having driven it 13,700 odd Km in about 30 months I am OK with it. Good tyres.

I suggest you spend the Rs. 30,000 and shod your 4WD scorpio mHawk with the best shoes.

In
Quote:
Uk law does not specify that brand and tread of radial tyres must be the same on each axle. The size should be the same with 2mm of tread surviving in it.

The pity is that you get a 3 month pollution certificate here but cars do not go for an annual passing as in other developed countries. It will solve a lot of problems in terms of tyre safety, brakes, emission, traffic fines and toll fines from a universal all India RFID toll tag. This enterprise can be privatized to gas station operators.

SS traveller - you are free to your own decisions, but it is not safe to run tyres that have done almost twice the recommended life.

Tyres are usually changed at 40,000 KM, maximum at 50,000. By this time the sidewalls and the rubber compund loses its safe limit of tensile streght, the steel beads give away from the rubber.

In Bridgestone H/T which is an OE on Nissan Patrols as well, less than normal tread wear is a usual occurance if the alignment is right. THis has been observed in Pirelli Scorpion as well.

GOing on the tread depth alone the Arabs dont change their tyres on Nissan Patrols ( Nizzan Batrols ) and I have seen or heard of at least a dozen tyre burst cases on speeds between 140 and 160 kmph specially in the summer months.

In India of course we usually do not drive above 100 Kmph so tyre bursts in passenger cars or SUV will be lesser here.
@desertfox: I think I found just the right thread for you, on which to carry on discussions regarding tyre requirements for the Scorpio, how to fit, align, balance and rotate tyres, whether or not to replace 1, 2, 4, or all 5 tyres, when precisely to change tyres, and which may be the best tyre brands to buy for the Scorpio. I shall be eternally grateful if such tyre-related discussions are carried out by you with the participation of and for the benefit of other members in a generic thread like this, and not on an individual vehicle's ownership thread such as mine.

EDIT: Incidentally, I found these pics and comparative review of the Ceat Czar, for your information and judgment call.
Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-ceat-czar.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-ceat-czar1.jpg

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 16th July 2013 at 13:15.
Old 16th July 2013, 14:10   #210
Senior - BHPian

Point well taken Doc but there are no actual test reports of this tyre, how it performs over a run of 50,000 KM in Indian conditions on a Scorpio or Tata Safari.

if they wish to test tyres in a users vehicle I am willing to put them in one of my SUVs and give them a test run like I did for Toyo earlier.

CEAT have developed a new product have entered the market to compete,very good.

But based on technology, raw material and actual driving experience of over 200,000 Km till date on Bridgestone I would rate it as a superior product.

My experience with CEAT Formula 1 steel belted radials that came as OE on my Bolero is terrible, and I will not look towards another product from CEAT easily.

Technically the best tyres in the world are Michelin, and off the record the Japanese tyre engineers who were working with me on the Toyo OP/DH project admitted this.

I am not sure whether Michelin LTX comes in 235 size, for highway driving only it is the best.

After Bridestone H/T and A/T MRF Wandrer is a decent choice in India.

Last edited by desertfox : 16th July 2013 at 14:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks