Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 08:34   #241

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

@sat - I usually have maintained 30-31 (depending on the season and my load)

@Simple_car - I have heard too many bad opinions about the Yokos and Michelins. The Continental tread looked and felt amazing but was the costliest in the segment; Hawkz and Wanderers seem apt for my usage

Thanks a million to everyone for their input. I will update this thread soon as I get the tyres changed next week.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:23   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sat,

pls check Continental & BS Duellers.
Some feedback for the Geolandars mention that the side wall is a little on the softer side.
Old 6th September 2013, 11:30   #243
Senior - BHPian

SImply a bit too many instances for Yokohama Geolanders side wall bursting, Bolero owners, scorpio owners now in a friends prado same problem with 265/70/R 16 these would have been imported from Japan or Thailand by Yokohama India I guess.
Old 10th September 2013, 21:12   #244

Ok folks,

Call it gut or whatever, my heart told me to go for the Bridgestone Dueler H/T 689. Michelin Latitude Cross was the only variant everyone had for my requirement and I have oodles of bad tales of those (just like the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S)

There was just a flicker to lean towards MRF Wanderers but when Tyre Professionals (Madhus), Cherry and Millivisions all said they do not have MRF stock (I am in Bangalore), I was more than sure of the Bridgestones.

Millivision has upgraded its facility and we can get all the stuff related to new tyres done there itself now, including the Hunter and WheelAlign equipment (in fact, the WA machine displays Madhus Products ).

I may well regret going for the wheel I chose, but then may be not.

My earlier ones had done 63+ thousand and were taken by the scrap fellow for INR 1000.

Each Bridgestone tyre cost me INR 7,300 + INR 700 Wheel Alignment/Wheel Balancing (Millivision gives competitive pricing but somehow not inclined to give any deal related to WA/WB)

Great worksmanship and professional handling of the vehicle (but not the person who took the vehicle there ). They did not even offer me drinking water but asked me to be seated a couple of times...

All in all, a decent tyre change experience. I will update my progress on the new tyres soon (planning Yercaud in October).

Thanks again, everyone, who helped me indirectly (and most importantly, of course)

Regards,
Suhas
Old 10th September 2013, 22:51   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasd75 View Post
Ok folks,

Call it gut or whatever, my heart told me to go for the Bridgestone Dueler H/T 689.
These are great tyres for routine day to day use. There is a good reason why I bought a second set of these.
Any reason for not choosing the apollo's? Those are good tyres. MRF's..well bad luck

And no, I did not ask you to look into michelin's and yoko's. For your kind of usage, they are the last tyres to look at.

Hope you have put in a tube in all 4 tyres, since you will be loading your car.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 15th September 2013, 11:16   #246
Senior - BHPian

Need to finalize profile before the Brand and model

Friends,

I am still not sure if I have reached the position to change the tyres. Its reaching 70K this week - One Tyre seller says that I can go for another 5K But another one says that Its better to change now.
I had no puncture so far, and the button appears fine, But at the sides are bit flat. What is the best way to find it?
I do not feel any difference in breaking distance, its good as usual.

If I change or in next 5K (which will come in next 2-3 months anyway), I wanted to learn if I can upsize the Tyres without changing the stock alloys. Anyone did so? If yes, What would you recommend? Based on your advice I will shop around for the brand/type/size and get back here before buying.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th September 2013, 14:41   #247
BHPian

Re: Need to finalize profile before the Brand and model

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Friends,

I am still not sure if I have reached the position to change the tyres. Its reaching 70K this week - One Tyre seller says that I can go for another 5K But another one says that Its better to change now.
I had no puncture so far, and the button appears fine, But at the sides are bit flat. What is the best way to find it?
I do not feel any difference in breaking distance, its good as usual.

If I change or in next 5K (which will come in next 2-3 months anyway), I wanted to learn if I can upsize the Tyres without changing the stock alloys. Anyone did so? If yes, What would you recommend? Based on your advice I will shop around for the brand/type/size and get back here before buying.

Thanks in advance.
Dear agbenny,
I would suggest not to wait for the 5k to happen and change the tyres right away. You have already got good 70k out of the tyres.

I don't think you can upsize with the stock alloys.

Best,
Old 16th September 2013, 16:27   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheG2 View Post
Dear agbenny,
I would suggest not to wait for the 5k to happen and change the tyres right away. You have already got good 70k out of the tyres.

I don't think you can upsize with the stock alloys.

Best,
The G2, I apologize for the wrong date. It crossing 60K, I just realized I was wrong. Is this still too much for the Scorpio stock Tyres?
Old 16th September 2013, 16:53   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
The G2, I apologize for the wrong date. It crossing 60K, I just realized I was wrong. Is this still too much for the Scorpio stock Tyres?
Dear agbenny,
Even though 60k is good enough number to change the tyres, but if the tyre condition is good and even the tyre guy feels it can last another 5k KMs then many be you can wait for 5K more.

But this is a call you need to take considering how much are the tyres worn out.

Best,
TheG2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 21:15   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
These are great tyres for routine day to day use. There is a good reason why I bought a second set of these.
Any reason for not choosing the apollo's? Those are good tyres. MRF's..well bad luck

And no, I did not ask you to look into michelin's and yoko's. For your kind of usage, they are the last tyres to look at.

Hope you have put in a tube in all 4 tyres, since you will be loading your car.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Hello Simple_car,

My mind was on the Apollo Hawkz A/T but every dealer I spoke to said no supply for the past 2-3 months in Bangalore!

Michelin didnt have LTX otherwise I may have leaned towards that.

Of course, I went for the tubed Bridgestone tires . I dont think anyone can even imagine the way my Scorpio is loaded at times.

I may or may not regret going for Bridgestone H/T, but they definitely pick up small stones/gravel in between the treads (same as my earlier JK used to). I also feel the tires skid a bit on hard-kicking but probably ease out after a few hundred kilometers of running.

I appreciate everyone who assisted me

Suhas
Old 21st October 2013, 09:33   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Which tyres come as OE on the Scorpio now?

In case of going for alloys, is it advisable to change the tyres as well or can one retain the OE tyres (if they are good) and just swap the wheels for alloys?
Old 21st October 2013, 09:42   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Which tyres come as OE on the Scorpio now?

In case of going for alloys, is it advisable to change the tyres as well or can one retain the OE tyres (if they are good) and just swap the wheels for alloys?
VLX comes with Bridgestone Duelers. SLE and LX come with one of Bridgestone Dueler, MRF Wanderer, Apollo Hawkz or JK Elanzo.

IMO, keep the OE tyres if you get either Bridgestone or MRF Wanderer. Change them if you get JK. No idea how the Apollo Hawkz are.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 09:46   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
VLX comes with Bridgestone Duelers. SLE and LX come with one of Bridgestone Dueler, MRF Wanderer, Apollo Hawkz or JK Elanzo.

IMO, keep the OE tyres if you get either Bridgestone or MRF Wanderer. Change them if you get JK. No idea how the Apollo Hawkz are.

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks Vikram. Mine will be LX. If it's JK, will ask the SA to change to Bridgestones! Let's see if I can manage that.
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:18   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
SImply a bit too many instances for Yokohama Geolanders side wall bursting, Bolero owners, scorpio owners now in a friends prado same problem with 265/70/R 16 these would have been imported from Japan or Thailand by Yokohama India I guess.
Have been using Yoko Geolander AT/S 235/70 R16 now for about 2000km.
Found them slightly softer than BS Duelers. Ride is very comfortable.
Could inflate 4-5 psi higher and maintain good ride comfort on highway speeds of 110-120. Stable, No pitching or rolling experienced. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:35   #255
Senior - BHPian

Of late I have heard of and seen two more instances. Yokohama are planning to put up a new factory in India if they wish to succeed they better address this issue fast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks