Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2015, 22:39   #316
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi guys!! Need your suggestion on something..

My 2003 Scorpio 2.6 turbo is due for a tyre replacement and i am in a bit of a confusion as to which ones to go about this time. For a start, the car has, throughout its life (270,000kms), run on the Bridgestone dueler 689 tubetype tyres dimensions being, 235/75 R15. Now this time (which could very well be the last time it gets a tyre replacement), i wanted to try out the tubeless tyres just for the sake of the convenience of not having to do a full Body workout in the middle of the road.

Now the issue that arises here is that,... I have heard from a few tyre dealers that tubeless tyres dont fit well on old rims because of the rust that might have occurred on the rims over time. As a result, there is a possibility of a leakage from the side walls which will ultimately force me to put in the tubes for good. Can anyone guide me on how true this is ?
The options i have for tubeless include the Apollo Apterra or the Bridgestone dueler.

The Second option that i have is to go for a rim upsize that is, get a 16" Rim of one the newer generation Scorpios which is easily available in the market. Doing this, would erase the very question of tubeless or tubetype tyres. However, i am doubtful of its impact on the car's suspension. Also my concern is its fender line which might come in way of the upsized tyres, especially on uneven turns. She is an old lady and i dont really wish to put on unnecessary load on her.
To sum it up, what possible effects could an upsize have in this regard ?
All your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 20th October 2015, 23:05   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijayraj1890 View Post
I have heard from a few tyre dealers that tubeless tyres dont fit well on old rims because of the rust that might have occurred on the rims over time. As a result, there is a possibility of a leakage from the side walls which will ultimately force me to put in the tubes for good. Can anyone guide me on how true this is ?
Possibility of air leakage is true, however, the reason stated might not be restricted to rusting alone. Old steel rims are prone to bending (even minor) at the lips. Which even after repair remain far from perfect, hence the air seal cannot be achieved at the tyre-rim interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijayraj1890 View Post
The Second option that i have is to go for a rim upsize that is, get a 16" Rim of one the newer generation Scorpios which is easily available in the market. Doing this, would erase the very question of tubeless or tubetype tyres.

However, i am doubtful of its impact on the car's suspension. Also my concern is its fender line which might come in way of the upsized tyres, especially on uneven turns. She is an old lady and i dont really wish to put on unnecessary load on her.
To sum it up, what possible effects could an upsize have in this regard ?
All your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Why would you want to upsize? For a SUV, the thicker cushion of rubber you have, the better it is. You are anyway not going for corner carving antics.

Well, I am not too sure about the size, and am a little short on time to do the comparison myself. Can you check for the tyre size of the Xylo (with 15" rims) and compare it with yours. If they are the same, then, Xylo comes shod with Bridgestone Dueller A/T tyres. You can try them out (ofcourse after installing Xylo rims)
Old 5th September 2016, 22:14   #318
BHPian

Just to share my experience, I changed Scorpio tires twice post the initial Bridgestone wore off for good. Next years it ran on Michellin and then last one year on Yokohoma Geolandar. Except for the first 4 years I ran using Bridgestone, the remaining 7 years were on tubeless tires. Never faced any problems on the existing rims.

But again lot depends on how much the Rim has battered. Mine had mild rusting - it was instant painted.
Old 6th September 2016, 03:56   #319
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My Bridgestones in the stock size for Crde Scorpio 235/75/16 worked very well for 4 years and 50K Kms at which time I sold the vehicle. They still had another 10-15K life in them. I used to swap them over and rotate them regularly, including the spare.

My friend who bought the Scorpio upgraded the tyres to 245/75/16 without problems. He used the vehicle for another 2 years and then sold it onward to someone else. Apparently that chap is still using it and is very pleased with it from all accounts. The car is now 9 years old.
Old 15th September 2016, 13:43   #320
BHPian

Hello,

Got the stock apollos changed to Pirelli Scorpion ATRs on our company's Scorpio S4+ 4WD. Apollos clocked 42000KMS. These are OE size 235/65 R 17. Have already clocked 1000KMS in a week, they are a bit noisy on road but are good in slush and broken roads. Paid Rs 12500 a piece, got them from Tyre Empire - Whitefield, Bangalore.

Regards,
Darshan
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160915_131648.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160915_131656.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160915_131705.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160915_131714.jpg  

Old 18th October 2016, 15:28   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
All,
I am thinking of booking NGS S4+ 4wd in this or next week and planning to upgrade the tyre as the aspect ratio of current 17" is not of my taste. I would love to see small rim size but with large rubber around it. I am thinking of following options:

1. Purchase black 15" rim(I am not very fond of alloys) and shod them with 235/75 R15(Geolander). This would result into the following:
Tyre Circumference : +3.03%
Ground Clerance: +10mm

2. Purchase black 16" rim and shod them with 245/70 R16(Geolander). This would result into the following:
Tyre Circumference : +5.27%
Ground Clerance: +20mm [I like it!]

3. Use the stock 17" rim and shod them with 265/65 R17. I think this would foul with the suspension; so I might need to check them first. The problem is that not many choices are available in 17" size which shines out as SUV tyres. If this does not foul the suspension, these would result into the following:
Tyre Circumference : +9.0%
Ground Clerance: +30mm

P.S. I know the thumb rule of upsize says that upsize should not exceed 2% but I have seen SUV with 10% upsize which works fine. I hardly cross 100KMPH on open highways this I think upto 6% should be fine.

I have a 2016 New Scorpio S10AT and was thinking of changing the stock tyres to 265/65/17 as the first option or change the rims back to 16 inch and see if we can do 285/75/16s. Will this work?
Old 21st November 2016, 14:10   #322

Hi Guys,

I have a 2015 4WD Scorpio S10. After doing ~30K Kms in a year on the stock Duelers, I want to change the tyres and shift to A/T because of an accident in Ladakh this year. These tyres generally just lose grip in slush/gravel.

Now I'm planning a trip to Spiti in December end this year. Although I'll be carrying the essential equipment(snow chains/cables etc) with me, would really appreciate some advice on the tyre change/up-size options.

Below are the options I could figure out going through the forums:

a. Pirelli Scorpion with a major advantage of the size, 235/65/R17, being readily available. So the warranty on wheels and suspension will remain intact. Additionally the tyre is good as well.
b. Michelin LTX A/T: Doesn't have the size.
c. MRF Wanderer: Will have to upsize with this one. Don't know if they are worth voiding the warranty.
d. Conti Cross Contact: Would be willing to upgrade with these with what I've gathered from the reviews. And I really really like the tread pattern here.
e. Maxxis Bravo AT-771: Have got a few reviews but not substantial enough feedback, yet on these. A major piece of confusion here is that the corresponding size doesn't exist on their website but a seller on our Classifieds, does have them(how's that even possible). Look at this(http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...7-AT-771.html/)
Maxxis website(http://www.maxxisindia.com/at771.html)

Would love to have a quick feedback from you guys. I'm willing to bargain away with the warranty on account of a really worthy set. My car logs around 70% of the driving on tarmac and 30% on bad roads+trails+off-road. And usually I remain excited for the latter 30%.

Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 14:06   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide88 View Post
A major piece of confusion here is that the corresponding size doesn't exist on their website but a seller on our Classifieds, does have them(how's that even possible).
Quite possible. There are IIRC 2 independent official importers of Maxiss in India apart from the company itself. So it may be a parallel import.
Old 31st January 2017, 14:40   #324
BHPian

hi folks,
My 2010 Scorpio needs tyre replacement ,still running on OE Apollo Hawkz tyres at 99500 on ODO .

Confused between Yokohama geo lander AT / Michelin LTX AT2 / Falken Wildpeak A/t 235/70/R16 .

Also there is price difference of 4-6k for set of 5 between online & direct purchase . Please help me decide .
Old 13th June 2017, 17:37   #325
BHPian

Hi All,

Since there has been cob webs on this thread for a while, I take it upon myself to see if I can get some visitors to chip in with their thoughts. For starters, my 2014 Scorpio MHawk Special Edition is due for a change of tyres. I have been running the stock Duelers and have not had any concerns with grip or comfort. However, my real concern is with the mileage. I have seen some posts on our very own TBHP threads where people have quoted that they have run upwards of 90k and in some cases even above 1.1 lac KMS on these tyres . Mine have run for just 60k and I see the need to change them. Hence my first question is,
1. Can there be such large mismatch in tyre life? If so, what decides the tyre life to be varying by almost 30%?

And then coming to my second question,

2. Any new suggestions on what tyres to opt for? I would stick to the Duelers since I am used to them, but I do see good reviews for CEAT Czars, not so good ones for the Geolanders and the MRF Wanderers. Hence, need some new perspective on what to opt for.
My usage is city with highway for my frequent Bangalore - Mangalore sojourns. Hence looking for good tyre life, grip for the rains and occasional bad roads.

Thanks, for waking up
Old 18th June 2017, 07:04   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyRocks View Post

2. Any new suggestions on what tyres to opt for? I would stick to the Duelers since I am used to them, but I do see good reviews for CEAT Czars, not so good ones for the Geolanders and the MRF Wanderers. Hence, need some new perspective on what to opt for.
My usage is city with highway for my frequent Bangalore - Mangalore sojourns. Hence looking for good tyre life, grip for the rains and occasional bad roads.

Thanks, for waking up
I have used Czars AT for my safari and recommend it anyway over Duelers. Duelers does not have good wet grip in my experience.
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 09:47   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
I have used Czars AT for my safari and recommend it anyway over Duelers. Duelers does not have good wet grip in my experience.
Thanks LionX, appreciate your feedback. My only concern with the Czars has been the fact that they look a bit plain Could you please let me know how long you have run the Czars and what is the approx life?

Any inputs on the Apollo Apterra or Goodyear Wranglers? I see an AT option from Maxxis, the AT980 but I have seen it only online so far. Not sure if anyone has inputs on them as well.

Thanks again for your help in choosing tyres for me
Old 21st June 2017, 09:59   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, my real concern is with the mileage. I have seen some posts on our very own TBHP threads where people have quoted that they have run upwards of 90k and in some cases even above 1.1 lac KMS on these tyres . Mine have run for just 60k and I see the need to change them
I guess it depends on the kind of roads one sees and also the driving style. 90k or 1 lac km is not a yardstick to compare your tyre life. No need to fall into peer pressure, lol!

If you see the tread depths are reducing/vanishing - replace the tyres. As for the reviews, I have been using Wanderers (OE) on my Scorp and have found them satisfactory. Disclaimer - I don't burn the highways, carve corners or do extreme off-roading. A bit of highway + rough roads has seen them perform fairly well. I usually slow down substantially when it rains or there is water on the roads, so haven't yet faced any tricky situation in wet conditions.

What are the quotes you are getting for the different options?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 10:11   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I guess it depends on the kind of roads one sees and also the driving style. 90k or 1 lac km is not a yardstick to compare your tyre life. No need to fall into peer pressure, lol!

What are the quotes you are getting for the different options?
Thanks DryIce. Yes, I have bowed down to peer pressure once and proposed a girl, who ended up giving me far more niggles than my Scorpio has given So lesson learnt, no more peer pressure for me. I basically wanted to know if I have been driving like an idiot to be wearing off my tyres. So your response has surely allayed my fears.

My driving style matches yours, infact I rarely venture above 100kmph, slow down in rains, and my usage is pretty much good tarmac + bad tarmac in a 70:30 ratio.

I will consolidate the quotes and share it here shortly.

PS: Since you mention Wanderers, I might get a quote for them as well. I did hear a bit about the hard rubber and grip issues, but since you drive like me and are satisfied, I think they should suffice my need as well.
AshyRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 11:03   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks LionX, appreciate your feedback. My only concern with the Czars has been the fact that they look a bit plain Could you please let me know how long you have run the Czars and what is the approx life?

Any inputs on the Apollo Apterra or Goodyear Wranglers? I see an AT option from Maxxis, the AT980 but I have seen it only online so far. Not sure if anyone has inputs on them as well.

Thanks again for your help in choosing tyres for me
Just to clarify, i had used Czar AT and that doesn't look plain at all, had them for around 60k kms. My safari had a bad alignment issue which caused the tires to wear out unevenly hence replaced, would have lasted for more than 70Kkms imo.

Regarding Maxxis, i have Bravo 771 which is equally good if not better. I went ahead with Maxxis for ther VFM factor, also upgraded to 255.
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks