Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2015, 12:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Michelin to source two-wheeler tyres from TVS Srichakra

Michelin India and TVS Srichakra have just signed an agreement to set up a new tyre production unit in India. Michelin has reportedly seen an increase in demand for its two-wheeler tyres. In order to meet this demand, a new manufacturing facility will be set up within TVS Srichakra’s existing plant in Madurai.

The products will be produced by TVS Srichakra, but will designed by Michelin and sold under the French tyre maker's brand name as well. The annual capacity of the facility stands at 3.6 million tyres. Apart from Michelin tyres, the facility will also produce some products for TVS’s range of two wheeler tyres.

Michelin to source two-wheeler tyres from TVS Srichakra-1.jpg

Michelin to source two-wheeler tyres from TVS Srichakra-2.jpg

Source: ET Auto
Tushar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2015, 18:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Michelin to source two-wheeler tyres from TVS Srichakra

No wonder the quality of Michelin commuter segment tyres is going down hill. Their global models produced in India have very bad grip levels and are targeted towards longevity than grip.

Now with this collaboration with TVS the quality will go down further since TVS tyres are known to be hard.

I would not recommend any of their commuter tyres for enthusiasts . Those who buy the commuter range will be in for a rude shock when they start slipping and sliding around.
Old 6th June 2015, 20:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
No wonder the quality of Michelin commuter segment tyres is going down hill. Their global models produced in India have very bad grip levels and are targeted towards longevity than grip.

Now with this collaboration with TVS the quality will go down further since TVS tyres are known to be hard.

I would not recommend any of their commuter tyres for enthusiasts . Those who buy the commuter range will be in for a rude shock when they start slipping and sliding around.
Too early to draw that comment?? They have just announced a product and here we are criticizing it.

I have used the TVS tyres on my apache and personally while i found them bad, they are as bad as my MRF or Michelin pilot sporty. All these tyres are great in dry but one sight of water and they pretend they are made of grease.
sai_ace is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 08:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:

I do not think, there is any need to worry, as the tyres will still be designed by Michelin, meaning the rubber compound and the construction of will be defined by them.

Michelin's quality should remain same and on the other side this is an opportunity for TVS to learn and adopt the technology to improve their local tyres.
varunanb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 12:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

I will not to too much concerned since even though they share same factory, the RnD, Design, Compounds, QC etc will be different (Like Exide and SF Sonic shares same factory, but nothing else).

But yes, there is definitely a marked difference in wet performance between old Michelin Tyres (my favorite M45) and New (Eg:Sirac Street) - sadly, the Sirac Street can't even hold a candle to M45.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 14:33   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Their global models produced in India have very bad grip levels and are targeted towards longevity than grip.
Unfortunate, but this has nothing to do with TVS. Michelin is merely giving the masses what they want. 99% of Indian car owners care more about long tyre life than that 20% enhancement in grip levels. It's the model on which JK Tyres, MRF, Bridgestone India etc. have built their businesses.

Tyre life, price & brand are the only 3 influencers for tyre sales in India. The average customer doesn't care about (and doesn't even know how to gauge) grip, low tyre noise, soft / hard compounds etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
I do not think, there is any need to worry, as the tyres will still be designed by Michelin, meaning the rubber compound and the construction of will be defined by them.
True. It's basically 'contract manufacturing' where Michelin is only using TVS' factory & staff. Michelin will tell them everything (raw materials to use, procedures, techniques etc.). Even Apple contract manufactures the iPhone!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks