Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 18:05   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Flipkart starts selling Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Its a wonderful experience , isnt it, to be visiting a tyre shop, touching them, feeling the treads, deciding something before going there, and changing to a different brand after you visit the shop. whilst i have done a lot of purchases online, i suspect i will ever buy a car tyre online.
Also, the smell of tires. Not that I go around sniffing them, but just the smell of fresh rubber

In any case, I would buy tires at a place that offers a key differentiator, which needn't be limited to price.

For example, at Madhus, Nikhil gave me good advice, and on another occasion the staff there gave my brother good advice when we went tire shopping. That's the kind of stuff that builds loyalty, and I know I wouldn't bother with other places (online or physical) unless they offer a good differentiator.

Apart from price and convenience, a key differentiator is that online sites can present and aggregate user reviews of products. I read reviews and better understand the benefits and problems of products. Amazon.in also aggregates reviews of certain products (like electronics) from their Amazon.com site, so even if there aren't many Indian reviews, the international reviews will help make a decision. And this information has influenced my decision making immensely.

However, for automotive items (including tires), I'd just look to Team BHP's reviews, and the directory to find the best deals, people to contact, and a plethora of other information. Based on that information and recommendations, I'll go to either a physical store or an online one.

Last edited by arunphilip : 17th June 2015 at 18:25.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 18:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

I would stay off e-tailers when it comes to buying tyres. From my experience, Flipkart/Myntra/Amazon usually mess it up when there are many products with same name and just a few changes in specification.
In the last 6 months, here is a record of orders that they messed. Note that all of them have come with same name and slightly different specifications.
1. Antivirus Software (fighting with flipkart for return)
2. Dell Tab (decided to keep it)
3. Garments (returned promptly)
4. Bluetooth Speaker (different color only, decided to keep it)

Indian e-tailing industry is yet to come to terms with the clarity of understanding of what exactly is ordered. Its better to visit a shop and get everything settled right there instead of struggling with returns and follow-up. Returns can take as much as 15 days, is anybody willing to wait for such a long time ?
Old 17th June 2015, 18:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
check the spelling of Volkaswagen . And there's two entries for Hyunda / Hyundai ... for model year, you can choose only 2011!

As a company grows, mediocrity sets in (unless attention to detail becomes an organisational habit).
This is shame for Flipcart, and specially their QA Team that such silly bugs made into production. This also raises questions on their Product Management Team (model year etc comes as a requirement from Product). They must repair these critical bugs (read carelessness)!
Old 17th June 2015, 18:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what flipkart has to say about this screen shot taken from the Michelin India website.

Name:  Screen Shot 20150617 at 6.48.04 pm.png
Views: 2113
Size:  184.1 KB

Here is the link to the website announcing this
http://www.michelin.in/Home/Michelin...d-Sales-Policy

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 17th June 2015 at 18:51.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 19:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

I just dont feel comfortable buying tyres online; be it two or four wheelers

The biggest thing that I can check for besides the condition of the tyre is the age of the rubber. What is stopping them from selling you a rather old tyre? As long as the tyre "seems" to be in reasonable condition; I doubt one will be able to contest a refund

On top of that, the prices are not exactly competitive and there is not "haggle room"; like you do with your local shop

Lastly; i just dont see the point in buying a tyre online. You will have to any which way visit a physical brick & mortar establishment to get the tyre fitted and balanced. Its not like (for example) buying a bettery from "Batterybhai.com" where you simply place the order and everything else happens right at your doorstep

Waste of time
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 19:05   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Its a wonderful experience , isn't it, to be visiting a tyre shop, touching them, feeling the treads, deciding something before going there, and changing to a different brand after you visit the shop. Then, to watch those guys go above their action of changing the tyres, and then, the WA and WB routine. Purely personal opinion, whilst i have done a lot of purchases online, i suspect i will ever buy a car tyre online.
Yes it's a wonderful experience buying things by personally selecting what you need.
But the fact of the matter is, online shopping is here to stay.

Few years ago, when online shopping was a distant reality in India, when we used to read that people in US buy things online, I used to think ''Isn't it always better to see a product, touch it, feel it and then buy''
Then slowly online shopping became a reality and nowadays majority buy electronic items only online.

Later, when clothes were available online, I used to think ''Electronics is OK, but at least clothes are better bought offline''. With Jabong, Myntra and others offering trial of dresses, that has changed too.
For spectacles, lenskart offers trial of 5 frames before ordering one.
Same thing happened with vegetables and provisions till bigbasket and others have changed that.

I ordered the Battery for my car online and on the delivery day, I was not at home but in the same city. The delivery guy checked with me and it was installed on the road away from home in 10 minutes. Talk about convenience!

Similarly if shortlisting before installation is offered for tyres too, then that would be good I guess. With their network, Flipkart should be able to do this if they decide to do it.

If vehicles could be owned without registration and other legal tags attached with it, even that would have been a commonplace I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
This is shame for Flipcart, and specially their QA Team that such silly bugs made into production.
I couldn't hold myself from smiling after reading your post. In your post, you have spoken about spelling mistakes in a brand name and you have written Flipcart...Its Flipkart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I wonder what flipkart has to say about this screen shot taken from the Michelin India website.

Attachment 1383049
I remember Dell and Lenovo had announced something like this for their laptops that Flipkart, Snapdeal and Amazon are not authorized sellers.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 17th June 2015 at 19:06.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 19:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I couldn't hold myself from smiling after reading your post. In your post, you have spoken about spelling mistakes in a brand name and you have written Flipcart...Its Flipkart
Good catch Thanks...
Old 17th June 2015, 19:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hemanth - completely agree that online buying is here to stay and to stay long for sure. I have gone thru a similar journey like yours - electronics, ok, but apparel ? So, i got the exact same thought process.

Tyres - yes, we do need a mechanism beyond placing an order online else, we end up carrying those to a shop to get thru the balance of the work to be done.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds in the immediate future.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 20:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer to buy my tyres from brick n mortar stores after physical inspection. I would like to be absolutely sure that my tyres - especially for bikes - are not warped. It can happen if the tyres are stacked. Warranty or not, no online tyre purchase for me, thank you.
Old 17th June 2015, 20:05   #25
BHPian

After buying the tires and getting it fitted for free from the e-commerce players, we will have to take the car for alignment and balancing. I changed my Ritz's tires last Sunday, MRF dealer offered me the best price(compared to online stores) and did free alignment, balancing and nitrogen in all tires.

Online stores will have to do tie ups for these services. But one thing is for sure they are going to give tough time in future to the dealers.
Old 17th June 2015, 20:21   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Happy to see that this thread caught their eye. The spelling of Volkswagen is corrected, and they've removed the 'year' menu which only gave you one option (2011).

Hyunda & Hyundai still remain though

@ Flipkart: Tubeless is one word (not tube less).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 20:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster1311 View Post
Online stores will have to do tie ups for these services. But one thing is for sure they are going to give tough time in future to the dealers.
Only & only if they have a major price advantage over buying from a local guy. Everything else considered, cons outweigh the benefits

We are comparing online garments / accessory shopping with tyre sales, but look at the pricing strategies

Pick a tyre; any tyre, from any Indian website today and I promise you I will find a better price (plus more variety) from dealers within 10 kms of where I stay

On the subject of garment retail, here's a real life example for you. A close friend of mine recently purchased a pair of Nike Air Max shoes for around 8500 bucks shipped. Its available in stores for 16000 IIRC. Heck; I have heard salesmen in stores say (after I commented on the hordes of people packed in the store); "Sir, they are all here to try on the clothes for size. 90% + of them will then order online"

I am not holding my breath on this (online tyre sales) being a thumping success ..... not anytime soon at least

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 17th June 2015 at 20:29.
Old 18th June 2015, 06:50   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Me, I would be happy to go to Madhu's in Bangalore and buy my tyres and get them fixed, aligned and balanced, because of a huge level of comfort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Only & only if they have a major price advantage over buying from a local guy. Everything else considered, cons outweigh the benefits
Pick a tyre; any tyre, from any Indian website today and I promise you I will find a better price (plus more variety) from dealers within 10 kms of where I stay

I am not holding my breath on this (online tyre sales) being a thumping success ..... not anytime soon at least
Old 18th June 2015, 10:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Picked up 4 Michelin XM2 Tyres in Bangalore 3 Weeks ago at 4800 per Tyre with fitting and wheel balancing free. Plus I had to opportunity to personal inspect the Tyres before being fitted.

The MRP of these tyres in the shop list was showing as 4856/- Per Tyre.

Now the same tyre is being listed in Flipkart at MRP 5407/- and there is a discount of 12% which is taking the price to 4753/-

Link to the Offer - http://www.flipkart.com/michelin-ene...70757&srno=b_6

That's only Rs.47 advantage over actual shop also I need to add the cost of delivery which is Rs.150 and alignment. This will be more expensive than the actual Tyre shop.

Now, come on Flipkart this is not the way to fool the customer and also cheat in the process.

Regards
Old 18th June 2015, 10:51   #30
BHPian

Since you will be taking the car to a tyre shop anyways after getting the tyres, where is the convenience of online shopping here? Even if I can change the tyres at home myself, I will still take it to a tyre shop to get the tyres aligned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks