Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 00:05   #1
BANNED

DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Why have I bought this??

With 52K on the odometer and thread depth depleting, I felt the need to pay more attention to tyre health to prolong it for little more time before I can change it.

Wheel alignment, balancing and rotation is done every 3 months or 10,000 kms. A weekly schedule of checking air pressures and topping-up it at home with the right amount and checking it again with another gauge to confirm is the process I do regularly and sometimes I used to forget the checking and continue driving at whatever state it is.

Highway roads (8-lane) are consisting for half the journey I do everyday which is 30 kms where speeds range between 90-110 kmph continuously (wish I had cruise control). At these speeds, the temperature and pressure changes could be harsh on the tyres and may lead tyre bursts which I have experienced once in my Ritz when it went over a stone.

I didn't want any nasty surprises now so thought of alternatives to give me real time data of pressures so that the weekly schedule can be put to rest and top-up whenever the pressure is low.

Choice I had was TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) - One great tool for any driver who is on the road most of the time especially at higher speeds. I had first experienced it in my friends XUV 5OO (a.k.a TyreTronics) when I used for 2 days and fell in love with this gadget that was on offer in it.

Was on search of it but never found a cheaper one to try it in the first place. Came across links of Blaupunkt TPMS (2.1 USB) that costed approximately 14-17K on various shopping websites. I used to keep thinking where I could get something to counter that Atrocious pricing of Blaupunkt TPMS.

Search begins...

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th August 2015 at 17:08.
a4anurag is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 00:54   #2
BANNED

re: DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

I am a online shopper and do keep all Apps in my mobile to check on the deals or to read reviews before I purchase anything. With searches done on Flipkart, SnapDeal and Amazon for the TPMS which displayed the same pricing for the Blaupunkt system, I was disappointed. For the heck of it I tried the search on AliExpress - Voila but it was not a Blaupunkt!

At the initial moment I was happy but half-hearted to place my money on Chinese stuff with no great reputation. Started looking at different sellers and varieties of TPMS available at a vast range of pricing. There are two types available online:

1) Internal Sensors:

DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-tpms_123.jpg

These are bolted onto the rims after the OEM valve is removed and the TPMS valve + sensor is installed. This setup has a negative mainly for me: With the frequent tyre rotation done, if I go with the Internal sensors the reading will be inaccurate as the corresponding sensor display is mismatching with the receiver forcing me to remember the rotation process I followed. It is cumbersome IMO so that makes this type not worth for me.

2) External Sensors:

DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-car_use_tpms.jpg

These are bolted on the OEM tyre valves as caps (just like the regular plastic dust caps). Some sellers give the sensors labels as to which sensor should go on which tyre that a corresponding reading on the receiver. This makes things easy during rotation too. A disadvantage these type of setup have is the chances of sensor theft is high. One must be careful when parking in crowded areas or use the sensors that match the valve stem colour that masks the sensor mounted on top. Hence I chose sensors that are black (Silver is the most sold and shipped primarily unless particularly asked).

After some browsing and talking with sellers, I chose TyreSafe TPMS for my Swift. I am impressed with the patience these guys have while answering all my questions before the purchase.

Price Details:

TPMS: $76
Shipping via EMS: $11

Total: $87

Seller coupon: $16 (Discount)

Net Total: $71 which translates to Rs 4509.66.

Warranty: 1 year from Date of receipt.

IMO, it is a steal for what I was getting on offer even though reliability was still at stake. Ordered the product and paid for faster shipping (via EMS). The product was shipped on 27.07.15 and I received it on 03.08.15 that is within 7 days total. No issues with customs too!

Now the same product is retailing at $89 (Free shipping).

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th August 2015 at 17:10. Reason: Adding images!
a4anurag is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 01:10   #3
BANNED

TyreSafe TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System)

The tool is handy since it mainly reads out pressure and temperature data refreshing it ever 10 seconds. It is helpful as it has many warning and alerts issued to the driver via beeps (Mulitple, long, continuous - depending on the severity of the problem).

Functions of the TPMS:
  1. It reads Pressure and Temperature of 4 individual tyres;
  2. Indicates the driver which tyre has abnormal pressures or abnormal behaviour;
  3. Also includes warning for low air pressure, high air pressure, fast air leakage;
  4. Alarm along with red flash on the receiver for the abnormal tyre;
  5. Has a USB port for charging any device - output of 1A;
  6. Works on the 12V power socket.

Types of warnings issued (Taken from the owners manual):
  1. Leakage alarm: The pressure decrease over 4.3 psi in 7 minutes
  2. Low pressure alarm: The pressure is lower than 24 psi
  3. High Pressure Alarm: The pressure is higher than 48 psi
  4. High temperature alarm: The temperature of tire is over 65°C
  5. Low power of sensor alarm: The power of any sensor is less than 2.2 V
  6. No signal alarm: Missing some sensors after it starts to work.

In the Box - Contents
  • 12V TPMS receiver with a USB socket
  • Sensors marked for the respective tyre – 4 no’s
  • Uncapping wrenches for using when the need to replace the battery – 2 pieces
  • Anti-dismantling lock plate (For backup) – 2 pieces
  • Nut wrench – 1 piece
  • Hexagonal nuts – 5 pieces (1 extra)
  • Ring needle – 1 piece
  • Silicon rings – 4 pieces (for backup)

A few pictures:

Brand Name and the Packaging:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-1.-imag1596.jpg

TPMS with its logo:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-2.-imag1597.jpg

Receiver + 4 dedicated sensors:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-3.-img_20150804.jpg

Contents of the Package:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-4.-imag1598.jpg

User Manual and all the small bits:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-5.-imag1605.jpg

Receiver:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-6.-img_20150804.jpg

USB Port for charging:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-7.-img_20150804.jpg

PS: Before I purchase the TPMS from AliExpress, I kept the Blaupunkt as a yardstick for comparison and I was shocked to see the level of imitation these guys have gone to. Everything is same (design, colour, fonts, beeping system) in both these units except the USB is inside the receiver in the Blaupunkt model whereas in the TyreSafe one it is outside. Even the owners manual is same (copied to the fonts). Seeing all these I was in doubts whether to buy or no. Price difference is approximately 10-12K between the one I chose and Blaupunkt's 2.1 USB. Took the risk and went ahead with the purchase.

The next post shall contain pictures of installation and few more pictures when it is working..

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th August 2015 at 17:13.
a4anurag is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:25   #4
BANNED

How to install the Sensor:
  1. First remove the dust cap from the valve stem;
  2. Clean the valve stem properly;
  3. Screw in the hexagonal nut and tighten using the spanner provided;
  4. Install the sensor tightly to avoid any air leakage.

Hexagonal nut installed:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-kiwi_20150805_132103.jpg

Sensor installed:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-kiwi_20150805_132152.jpg

CAUTION:
  • Do NOT over tighten or handle roughly as the valve stem may break;
  • Do NOT over tighten as the silicon ring will get damaged;
  • When topping up be careful at fuel stations and stay around when they top up.
  • Bear in mind that cold pressures are to be used for topping-up and NOT warm/hot tyre pressures.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Pictures of the Installation and Readings obtained:

4th tyre sensor to be installed and learnt hence the ' -- ':
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-1.-4th-tyre-left-installation.jpg

All sensors fit to their respective tyre valve stem:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-2.-all-sensors-all-valves.jpg

A closeup shot of the sensor on the valve stem:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-2a.-sensor-air-valve.jpg

After installation - Low pressure warning (Rear Right tyre):
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-3.-all-sensors-installed-low-warning.jpg

After sensor refresh - Pressure displayed in psi:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-4.-after-sensor-refresh.jpg

Pressures displayed in Bar:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-6.-pressures-bar.jpg

Temperature readings:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-4a.-temp.jpg

Temperature readings - After a 30 kms drive (100 kmph constant):
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-5.-after-orr-drive-pressures.jpg

After Top-up (Pressures displayed in psi):
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-7.-after-topup-pressure-c.jpg

After Top-up (Pressures displayed in Bar):
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-8.-after-topup-pressures-bar.jpg

After Top-up (Temperature)
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-9.-after-topup-temp.jpg

After top-up and a 10 kms drive (Normal highway speeds):
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-10.-after-topup-10-kms-drive-temp.jpg

TomTom charger with the TPMS hooked-in:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-car-charger-tpms.jpg

Outside temperature (Just for Reference):
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-outside-temp.jpg

A view from driver's eye level:
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-view-drivers-eye-level.jpg
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Here is a video showing the warning system the TPMS uses when there is any abnormality. In my case as seen above the Rear right tyre had low air pressure.

What it does is, keeps on flashing continuously and beeps continuously for 10 seconds. This beeping warning repeats itself ever 1-2 minutes till the air pressure is back to normal. Very neat and helpful. It creates one heck of racket inside.

PS: Sorry for the poor quality video and not sure why it was trying to autofocus so many times.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

NOTE: After all was done in the installation process, headed straight towards my wheel alignment shop and got the wheel balanced.

Shall update and see the reliability of this product. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th August 2015 at 18:35.
a4anurag is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 21:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 21:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi a4anurag,

Congratulations on getting this nice TPMS and thanks a lot for sharing the info here.

This device really looks nice and compact. Very clean install!

By the way just a couple of quick questions based on my usage of TPMS (and trying to understand how this addresses those):

1. What happens if a sensor fails? Does this have a sensor failure warning? I am still struggling to know this for sure in my TPMS, the reason is related to 2 below:
2. Does this also only transmit the data when the car speed is above 20kmph? In that case, when the speed is stationary, does it show the old data, even when the sensor is transmitting nothing? If so, this is what confuses me. If it keeps showing the old data when the sensor is transmitting nothing anyways, how would it know if a sensor has failed?

Thanks,
-AD
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 22:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Anurag, can you share the link to the product you purchased. A search on aliexpress throws a lot of results.

Also, how difficult is it to remove the sensors from the valve?Is there any any theft mechanism incorporated?
Old 5th August 2015, 22:06   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Congratulations on getting this nice TPMS and thanks a lot for sharing the info here. This device really looks nice and compact. Very clean install!
Thank you Dr. AD. You were one who re-instigated me to get the TPMS.

Quote:
1. What happens if a sensor fails? Does this have a sensor failure warning? I am still struggling to know this for sure in my TPMS, the reason is related to 2 below:
That particular sensor display will show ' -- ' if and when it fails and when battery power is less.

Quote:
2. Does this also only transmit the data when the car speed is above 20kmph? In that case, when the speed is stationary, does it show the old data, even when the sensor is transmitting nothing? If so, this is what confuses me. If it keeps showing the old data when the sensor is transmitting nothing anyways, how would it know if a sensor has failed?
When the car is stationary, the latest data will be displayed (I mean till the time of last refresh done). Once the speed goes above 20 kmph, the data is refresh automatically.

Actually the accuracy of the data is when the speed is above 20 kmph (More of real-time I can say).

As I have mentioned above, if the sensor fails that particular display will be showing ' -- '!

Hope I have cleared your doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Anurag, can you share the link to the product you purchased. A search on aliexpress throws a lot of results.

Also, how difficult is it to remove the sensors from the valve?Is there any any theft mechanism incorporated?
Here is the link Sagar,

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-...320792026.html

No theft protection. It is removable just like the regular valve cap.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th August 2015 at 22:08.
a4anurag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 22:12   #9
BHPian

Hey Anurag, thanks for the detailed information of the TPMS, very useful and detailed information you have provided. I just have few questions regarding the product -

1. When doing tyre rotation will we have to change the sensors, as I see they come marked with FR, FL, RR, RL?
2. In case of Tyre puncture, will the sensors get damaged?
3. Can this TPMS be used with Nitrogen filling as well instead of air?

Thanks in advance buddy.
Old 5th August 2015, 22:19   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
1. When doing tyre rotation will we have to change the sensors, as I see they come marked with FR, FL, RR, RL?
2. In case of Tyre puncture, will the sensors get damaged?
3. Can this TPMS be used with Nitrogen filling as well instead of air?
1. When tyre rotation is done, just remove the sensor from the current tyre and keep it aside, once the rotation is completed, install the sensors as the label says. The label corresponds the display on the receiver. It is like:

Front Left-> Front Right -> Rear Right -> Rear Left

This sequence does not change, only the tyres do!

2. Tyre burst may affect the sensor but regular punctures will not affect its functionality. One must be careful while cleaning the wheels too.

3. It can work and it should. All it does is read out the pressure inside the tyre. May be there will be slight difference in data between Air and Nitrogen. I'll ask the seller this and see what he replies.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 22:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As I have mentioned above, if the sensor fails that particular display will be showing ' -- '!

Hope I have cleared your doubt.
Thanks for answering my query. However, looks like the confusion is specific to my device.

I saw ' --' only before all the sensors where "learned". After that, I never saw this in any condition. My TPMS device has a built-in battery. That means I can take it away from my car (outside the range of the sensors), and still switch on the display and take the reading. To do this experiment, once I took the display out of the car, kept it in my hand, and took a 1km walk away from the car. There, I switched it on and I still saw the old pressure reading on all four tyres! So it does not differentiate between sensors being idle and being out of range. That gave me this doubt that how would it know if a sensor has failed, it it can't tell if the sensor is out of range. Anyways, I will do some more trial-and-error experiments and figure this out :-)

Quote:
No theft protection. It is removable just like the regular valve cap.
I thought the hexagonal nuts prevent the sensors from being removed as easily as the regular valve caps. Therefore, the nut-wrench they give with the kit is supposed to be the "anti-theft protection". I know this is not a big deal since any adjustable wrench will easily loosen these nuts, but at least on paper, this has got some anti-theft protection.
Old 5th August 2015, 22:45   #12
BANNED

Quote:
There, I switched it on and I still saw the old pressure reading on all four tyres! So it does not differentiate between sensors being idle and being out of range. That gave me this doubt that how would it know if a sensor has failed, it it can't tell if the sensor is out of range. Anyways, I will do some more trial-and-error experiments and figure this out :-)
Do one thing, when the receiver is ON, remove one sensor from the valve stem and see what it displays on the receiver?! AFAIK, it will turn to ' -- '

What doubt you are having inside you is the difference between data during movement and data during idle. These are different from an Out-of-order sensor condition.

Case 1: Say for example, I am driving and the data is refreshing regularly. I complete the drive and come to an halt. Now the data that is displayed is the last refresh one.

Case 2: After I have completed my drive and switched off the car and now have returned to it after 5 hours. I switch ON the car and the receiver, the data that is displayed at that moment is the pressure inside the tyres at that moment. It may NOT be accurate but believable. Once the car is in motion again, the accurate data shall be displayed.

Quote:
I know this is not a big deal since any adjustable wrench will easily loosen these nuts, but at least on paper, this has got some anti-theft protection.
The protection is just an eye wash. People who are hell bent on stealing will have a wrench (Adjustable) which they can use to remove the sensor.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:25   #13
BHPian

Re: DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Anurag ... Congrats on another useful addition to your Blue Streak's cupboard!
The device looks great and extremely useful, as well as the detail account provided by you as usual!!

As far as I understand, it should work with nitrogen as well (don't think the pressure measurement mechanism changes with it),
but will be on lookout for your update on the same from the dealer.

Only issue I see is with this easy removability of the sensor caps,
possibly the way counter that would be to keep these off when you think you are parking around at unreliable locations.
I suppose its easy enough to do this on the fly, and replace valve caps instead??
deepv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 19:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Anurag for the detailed reply.

Quote:
Do one thing, when the receiver is ON, remove one sensor from the valve stem and see what it displays on the receiver?! AFAIK, it will turn to ' -- '
I will try this.

Quote:
Case 1: Say for example, I am driving and the data is refreshing regularly. I complete the drive and come to an halt. Now the data that is displayed is the last refresh one.
Yes, I agree and this is what I have observed too.

Quote:

Case 2:
After I have completed my drive and switched off the car and now have returned to it after 5 hours. I switch ON the car and the receiver, the data that is displayed at that moment is the pressure inside the tyres at that moment.
This is where my experience differs. In my TPMS, if I switch ON the TPMS display after having parked the car for a long time, the data shown is the earlier old data. I have seen this every day. The simplest example is this: Every evening, when I drive back to home and park my car, the tyre temperatures usually increase to about 37C, and the pressures to about 35psi. Next morning, when I start the car with ambient temperature being around 20C, the display still shows 37C and 35psi. It takes driving above 20kmph (roughly) for the display to refresh to 20C and 32psi, which are my correct fresh morning readings. And the display update order is totally random. Sometimes one particular tyre updates first, and the other updates follow in some random order. Other times, some other tyre updates first and so on. So I don't think there is any specific order of updates.

It will be interesting to compare our observations on this. It will be great if you could please post your observations once you use it for a few days.

Quote:
The protection is just an eye wash. People who are hell bent on stealing will have a wrench (Adjustable) which they can use to remove the sensor.
Totally agree :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Can this TPMS be used with Nitrogen filling as well instead of air?
Absolutely yes! The TPMS is based on pressure sensors. These are exactly that - they sense pressure. It is absolutely immaterial if the pressure is applied by air, nitrogen, or any other fluid. The value of the pressure is independent of the source of the pressure, and a pressure sensor (such as those used in TPMS) will tell you the pressure value regardless of what fluid is applying the pressure. Now, it may be your call to set different pressures for air or nitrogen for some reason (even this is not really true, but I am giving this example just for argument sake), but the TPMS would not care what is the source of the pressure.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 6th August 2015 at 19:23. Reason: Added response about nitrogen
Old 6th August 2015, 21:20   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Anurag ... Congrats on another useful addition to your Blue Streak's cupboard!
The device looks great and extremely useful, as well as the detail account provided by you as usual!!
Thank you sir.

Quote:
As far as I understand, it should work with nitrogen as well (don't think the pressure measurement mechanism changes with it),
but will be on lookout for your update on the same from the dealer.
Absolutely. There no connection if it is Air or Nitrogen inside.

Quote:
Only issue I see is with this easy removability of the sensor caps, possibly the way counter that would be to keep these off when you think you are parking around at unreliable locations. I suppose its easy enough to do this on the fly, and replace valve caps instead??
Yes, it is easy to remove the sensor as it is similar to the dust cap screwed onto the valve.

Since I'll be off on a vacation for a week, have removed it from my Swift and kept it at home.

Quote:
And the display update order is totally random. Sometimes one particular tyre updates first, and the other updates follow in some random order. Other times, some other tyre updates first and so on. So I don't think there is any specific order of updates.
Yes, there is no routine or order for updating the data.

Quote:
Absolutely yes! The TPMS is based on pressure sensors. These are exactly that - they sense pressure.

__________________________________________________ __________

Wanted to check the cold tyre pressures and temperatures of both my cars so plugged them in to see the values.

1) Swift ZDi:

Cold Pressure:

DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-2.-pressure-after-refresh.jpg

Cold temperature:

DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-cold-tyre-temp.jpg

2) Alto K10:

As seen on the tire placard - Cold tyre pressures recommended are 35psi all around.

Sensor on the valve:

DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-sensor.jpg

Cold tyre pressure:

DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-pressure.jpg

Cold tyre temperature:

DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-temp.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed