Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2015, 20:19   #1
BHPian

OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet

Alloys

Ever since I bought the T-Jet three years back, I always wanted to upsize to 16" alloys and 205/55 R16 rubber. That was the stock size for the T-Jet plus variant. So I started saving, but something or the other kept coming up and I had to divert my savings for some other objective.

Finally, I had saved up enough and wanted the best I could afford. The tyres were decided a while back - Pirelli Cinturato P7. Alloy choices were confusing. There were several brands and designs available, but none in 98 PCD that caught my fancy. The only 98 PCD readily available was OE. I never felt that OE rims were worth the money @ ₹11,500 per piece.

So I started researching the pros and cons of using 100 PCD instead. The more I read about it, the more I was convinced that 100 PCD is usable, as long as it is done correctly. Wobble bolts were the way to go. As with any after market alloys, hub rings were also needed.

So, I zeroed in on OZ racing alloys. They were pretty expensive, but were definitely worth the money, based on thousands of user reviews - both online, as well as real users that I know of. So, the quest ended here.

All parts, except tyres bought at Hot Tracks, Bangalore. Tyres sourced from Millivision, Bangalore. Here are the cost details -
OZ Racing Lounge 8 alloys - ₹ 54,000 for a set of 4
Tyres - ₹ 30,000 for a set of four
Hub rings - ₹ 2000 for a set of 4
Wobble bolts - M12 x 1.25 ₹ 3200 for 16 numbers
Balancing & fitting - ₹ 800
Total - ₹ 90,000

Did some high speed runs and some hard braking today morning. Did not notice any vibration or wobble. I am very happy with the setup.

Hub rings
OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-img_20150905_1531071.jpg

Another view of the hub ring. OZ branded, 58.1 mm to suit FIAT
OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-img_20150905_1531281.jpg

Wobble bolt
OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-img_20150905_1549361.jpg

Alloys being installed
OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-img_20150905_1600061.jpg

The alloy wheel
OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-img_20150905_1729381.jpg

TPMS

I had already made up mind that I will install a TPMS, when I install new tyres. This was based on my experience with losing a 5000 kms old Michelin as I drove a few kms without realizing that I had a flat rear tyre. By the time I realized and pulled over, the side wall had taken a severe beating and the tyre was rubbish. The logic was, the TPMS costs less than or about the same as a new tyre and even if it saves one tyre, it has paid for itself.
There were three options -
1. The rudimentary color coded dust cap. It is a basic TPMS and will help identify any tyre with low pressure, when the car is at a standstill and I make an effort of walking around and checking. Even if I had that, I would have still lost that Michelin anyway

2. External sensor type -
These are easy to install, as the dust cap has an inbuilt sensor, which relays info via wireless in real time. Problem is, it is visible from the outside and will take just a curious kid to be stolen. Replacement sensors are available, but strangely a single replacement sensor costs almost half the cost of the entire system.

3. Internal Sensor type -
These seem to be the best bet. They are fitted inside the rim, protected from the elements, not to mention the curious kids. So I started looking at various models available and zeroed in on the Victon 800A. At a cost of $105 including expedited shipping, it was reasonably priced. I placed the order on the 1st, was shipped on the 2nd, reached Bangalore on the 5th and was delivered on the 7th. Well worth the extra $10 I paid for shipping.

TPMS bought from here

This specific model -
Pros -
  • Reasonable price
  • Internal Sensor
  • Valve made of aircraft grade aluminium
  • Uses Infineon chipset
  • Display has rechargeable battery and can be placed anywhere in the car without dangling wires
  • Sensor position can be re-learnt when rotating
  • The build quality is superb

Cons -
  • Doesn't display tyre temperature - though sounds an alarm if it exceeds 70* C
  • Instruction Manual and all stickers on the device, including sensor position for initial installation is in Chinese
  • If the display is powered down, upon restarting all custom settings revert to default - pressure is displayed in bar and minimum pressure warning gets reset to 1.7 bar (~24 psi)
  • Long term reliability unknown. User reviews were mostly positive. There was only one negative review.

So, I took the risk and ordered this. Escaped from any customs duty. Came very well packed and the product box itself was very well built. Used Google to translate the sensor position for initial installation. I could have used the re-learn function, but chose to do this instead. Right after the installation, it started working as expected. It was showing 34 psi in the front and 32 psi in the back, though we filled 36 psi and 33 psi. Not sure if it is a calibration issue in the tyre shop, or margin of error of the sensor (document does say ± 1.5 psi accuracy). Once the car is stopped and parked, the display goes to sleep after a minute. The vibration due to unlocking the car was enough to wake it up again. The tyre pressure went up by about 2 psi after the B2B run of 15 kms. Will have to check long distance high speed behaviour. TPMS installation done at Madhus, Bangalore. All in all, I am happy with the purchase.

Me being me, couldn't stop at just printing out the Chinese characters and writing down the location. Had to do this
OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-img_20150908_180213.jpg

The sensor, inside the alloy
OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-img_20150908_134923.jpg

How it looks from the outside. Now that curious kid will have to be content with just the dust cap
OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-img_20150908_143342.jpg

On the way back post installation
OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-img_20150908_152344.jpg

At the end of a 15 km bumper to bumper city drive. The pressure had gone up by a couple of psi
OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-img_20150908_155340.jpg

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 8th September 2015 at 20:23.
PatchyBoy is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 20:48   #2
BANNED

re: OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
TPMS
3. Internal Sensor type -
These seem to be the best bet. They are fitted inside the rim, protected from the elements, not to mention the curious kids.
E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T! Side stance of the car is drool worthy. Hats off to your choice.

I love those alloys and good you went in for TPMS with the new set of tyres. Will go a long way in protecting your tyres and also get you good FE.

Here's mine:

TyreSafe TPMS

I went with external sensor as the stealing part is not issue for me and the other reason that made me choose is problem during Tyre Rotation. I have a high running (110 kms a day) so I do the tyre rotation, wheel alignment and balancing every 5K kms so if I use the external sensors, all I have to remove it before rotating and re-fix it after rotation else the figures on the TPMS monitor will haphazard.

If it is internal type I'll have to get the tyre opened to extract the sensor.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th September 2015 at 20:51.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 20:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

If it is internal tyre I'll have to get the tyre opened to extract the sensor.
This model addresses that issue. It has a built in sensor position relearn function. So, it is possible to reassign sensor position, in case of tyre rotation.
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 20:53   #4
BANNED

Quote:
This model addresses that issue. It has a built in sensor position relearn function. So, it is possible to reassign sensor position, in case of tyre rotation.
So do you mean after getting the tyres rotated, all one has to do is reassign the sensors to the main unit?! That's cool.
Old 9th September 2015, 10:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hello Rajan Sir (if I assume you are the same Patchyboy),

Thats a cool DIY. The alloys looks rocking, IMHO they are quite expensive. Regarding the TPMS, since the sensor is internal, any one sensor going faulty would required the tyre to be removed for inspection isnt it? Is this not laborious as compared to the external sensor mounts? Also whats the warranty on these sensors? Also on the closer shot of the alloy I could not see any balancing weights, am I missing something here?

Your car still looks droolworthy.
Old 9th September 2015, 10:20   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Any one sensor going faulty would required the tyre to be removed for inspection isnt it?

Also whats the warranty on these sensors? Also on the closer shot of the alloy I could not see any balancing weights
Laborious, Yes but the tension of losing the sensor is nullified. With the internal type sensor that is a problem. Hour these are reliable.

I have 3 years warranty on the TPMS system that i enquired and confirmed before I bought from AliExpress.

I guess the balancing would have been done and the weights are placed on the inner side of the wheel.
Old 9th September 2015, 10:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Rajan Sir (if I assume you are the same Patchyboy),
Yes, I am the same Rajan.

Quote:
Thats a cool DIY. The alloys looks rocking, IMHO they are quite expensive.
It is not a DIY buddy. Yes, the alloys are expensive, but they are worth it, going by the reputation OZ racing enjoys in the market.

Quote:
Regarding the TPMS, since the sensor is internal, any one sensor going faulty would required the tyre to be removed for inspection isnt it? Is this not laborious as compared to the external sensor mounts? Also whats the warranty on these sensors? Also on the closer shot of the alloy I could not see any balancing weights, am I missing something here?
Yes. That is a risk. There is a 6 month warranty, but I am not counting on it. The main reason for getting these is to prevent theft. There are balancing weights, but they are not visible in the picture
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 10:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

What's the longevity of the built in battery in the display, is it replaceable ? Batteries become weak after a certain number of recharges - just like our phone batteries.

Planning to install something similar on my Punto. Btw, feedback on the new tyres ? I guess you'll be looking at a slightly reduced mileage. Those alloys look really great.
Old 9th September 2015, 11:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
What's the longevity of the built in battery in the display, is it replaceable ? Batteries become weak after a certain number of recharges - just like our phone batteries.

Planning to install something similar on my Punto. Btw, feedback on the new tyres ? I guess you'll be looking at a slightly reduced mileage. Those alloys look really great.
The battery in the display is rechargeable. The manufacturer claims a life of 45 days per charge and the battery is rated for 300 charge cycles. Not sure if it is replaceable, but I am sure I can find a way out if the battery dies prematurely.

The new tyres are grippier and silent. Too early to provide any feedback. Done only about 200 kms on these tyres. I am not fussy about mileage. I have a T-Jet, you see

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 9th September 2015 at 11:29.
Old 9th September 2015, 14:38   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet

Very nice rims - congrats!

How about some full profile pics from different angles showing us the meaty stance of your car? Right now, the only image we have is with the car jacked up!

Personally though, I'd never buy rims of a different PCD, no matter what the adjustment. It's just something I'm not comfortable with.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 16:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, those OZ's look HAUTE

I remember doing a similar PCD correction on my Corolla & Punto rim upgrade. That time i had got it done at a local mod shop who fabricated these bangles for me & the experiment worked well for me

But that was that after which i have set my mind that for future rim upgrades i'd stick to the OE PCD or no upgrade at all.

Last edited by karan561 : 9th September 2015 at 16:23.
Old 9th September 2015, 18:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Very nice rims - congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Congrats, those OZ's look HAUTE
Thank you guys.

Quote:
How about some full profile pics from different angles showing us the meaty stance of your car? Right now, the only image we have is with the car jacked up!
Here you go

OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-p1000161.jpg

OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-p1000162.jpg

OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-p1000163.jpg

OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-p1000165.jpg

OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-p1000167.jpg

OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-p1000168.jpg

OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-p1000171.jpg

OZ Alloys and Victon TPMS on my Fiat Linea T-Jet-p1000172.jpg

Quote:
Personally though, I'd never buy rims of a different PCD, no matter what the adjustment. It's just something I'm not comfortable with.
Neither was I, till I did some serious research. The response to this will be pretty lengthy. Let me know if you would like me to share my research here and I shall do so.
PatchyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 10:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I have answered this in detail here -
PCD Variation Bolts

Would you still hesitate to use them? If so, why? Just trying to understand some downside I might have overlooked. Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 02:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful pics.
I would like to know that is there any specific reason for not going for black vinyl wrap on the roof as its the only mod missing out. IMO it will surely enhance the look.
Quote:
Thank you guys.
Old 5th May 2018, 20:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

PatchyBoy , how's the Victon TPMS doing ? Any problems so far ? I'm thinking of buying one for my Punto.

EDIT : Can't find the Victon model with internal sensors on AliExpress. There's one with external sensors though.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 5th May 2018 at 20:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks