Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2004, 21:41   #1
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I plan to go for an outstation trip, by this weekend, I have the WagonR willing to go, but the only problem is the tyres.

Stock tyres, Bridgestone, but couple of tyres have week sidewalls, because they were dragged for about a km in punctured state (at the rear). Which has somewhat erased the "BRIDGESTONE" embossed on the side wall.

Just wanted to know, how safe is it to go out in this car, with both these tyres put at the rear, and maintain speeds of around 110-140kms all the way. its 600kms.

WagonR uses high tyre pressure (for its size) 33psi, so even after some fast driving I have never seen them ever getting more than warm.

So what do you say? Its worth the risk to go out in the WagonR, or rather take the Alto, its too small, and has a cracked windscreen.
Old 19th May 2004, 21:58   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Without looking at the tyres, Its difficult to comment. Buttttttttttttttttt I fall in the category thats rather safe than sorry. Irrespective of whether you take the wagon out of town or not, get the tyres checked by a renowned tyre shop. If in doubt, replace them...It will be small insurance against a potentially terrible accident.

For right now take the Alto. And change the windscreen .

GTO
Old 20th May 2004, 01:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

GTO is right. Don't step out without new tyres or new windscreen.
Life is percious man. Lots of driving ahead.
Old 20th May 2004, 03:51   #4
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I am stuck BADLY into exams, and it might not be possible for me to do anything by the weekend, so let's see if I can get new tyres and the money for them.
Since we are talking about new tyres i'd like to ask is it 'ok' for me to put 155/70 R13 that come on the new WagonR. (mine are 145/70 R13) and since there is no change in the profile, would it have a -ve effect on the handling or the speedo. But then how come Maruti is giving these tyres, Maruti would have adjusted the speedo??

And the Alto's windscreen change might involve insurance claims and stuff so, hard to manage by this weekend.

Say under the worst of circumstances if i'll have to go, I'll consider taking the WagonR and drive it slower @80-100. (this is the speed at which I feel sleepy)
Old 20th May 2004, 10:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (SLK @ May 20 2004,02:21)]Say under the worst of circumstances if i'll have to go, I'll consider taking the WagonR and drive it slower @80-100. (this is the speed at which I feel sleepy)
Your tyre's sidewall are badly affected. Which also means the inside binding construction is also affected. I would strongly suggest for a change. Going by your description it is not a safe situation at all at any speed. Let alone 80-100 kph.
In worst of circumstances hire a car. I don't know how many km you're planning to cover but you may find the same rental amount can fetch you a brand new pair of tyres.
What say GTO?
Old 20th May 2004, 12:41   #6
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well, my sidewalls are damaged, but its been so since almost 1.5 year. I have in past been on fast drives with these tyres. This time I am concerned because its too hot up here 40~43+ all the time. Even the roads are melting at this time.

But I think I'll still change.

Summary : I get the picture, its not safe to drive with damaged tyres, and since I have been unable to post/take a pic, I can't actually show you guys the actual amount of damage.

Actually the damage is just the Bridgestone partially erased from the outside, no damage inside. The tubes were cut is both these cases.

So I'd say Either I replace in 2 days, or drive at moderate speeds just to be on the safer side, otherwise I have done 130+ with these tyres (that was in cool winters).
Old 20th May 2004, 13:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

get a new tyre or use the spare if thats intact.. it aint worth the risk.. i had to let go my belowed esteem thanks to stupid mistake of using old tyres.. learn from my mistake.. my 2 cents..
Old 20th May 2004, 13:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey SLK

155s are now standard on the Wagon-R so it can fitted on the existing rims w/o any modifications. If u do stay in b'bay and have an orange post-paid account, check out your bill for this month, you would have got an offers book which has rebate coupons. You get 12.5% off on Bridgestones.

Another thing, like what others advised, don't run on tyres that are worn-out on highways. Pretty darn risky. Especially tubed ones. If you do plan to change the entire set, go in for Michelin Certis tyres or Goodyear GPS2 tubeless. I can vouch for these tyres especially the certis which took a deep impact last weekend and yet pretty much took it rather well.

Keep Revvin ™
Revvmaster
Old 20th May 2004, 14:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well, i own a Wagon R and have experienced it's long distance capabilities. The Wagon is a good car and can handle speeds of around 120kmph with ease.

I wouldn't reccomend anything above that. The tubes that the Wagon R comes with are very thin and fragile. My car has done just 9000 odd kms and i've had 3 different tyres give way.

The stock tyres are surely not reliable and that figure of 33 psi gets me thinking twice before i take the car out on a long drive.

You can take the Wagon R but make sure you keep it below 120kmph.

Regards..
Shan2nu

Old 20th May 2004, 16:10   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (SLK @ May 20 2004,11:11)]*I get the picture, its not safe to drive with damaged tyres, and since I have been unable to post/take a pic, I can't actually show you guys the actual amount of damage.

Actually the damage is just the Bridgestone partially erased from the outside, no damage inside. The tubes were cut is both these cases.
Hey SLK,

The thing is that the damage could be internal. Even if the sidewalls were in perfect condition there is still the possibility of there having been damage done to the several structural layers of the tire that give it its strenght.

Another point i want to make is that, whether it is hot or cold outside is not a MAJOR factor when it comes to tire failure, especially physical tyre damage as in your case.

If you were in bombay i would suggest that you go to a specific tire shop where they would take a look at your tires inside out and tell you the condition, but since you are in delhi i really cant reccomend anyone for the job.

How badly is the alto windscreen cracked?

cya
R
Old 25th May 2004, 00:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

are boss,
y take chances .
just go and change both the tyre on the wagon r and the windscreen on the alto.
u have to change them anyhow.
it is better u change only them instead of later changing the whole car .
due to ur carelessness u cud hurt someone else also.
and the new wagon r has 155/65r13 and not 155/70r13.the 70 profile wud give u diff speedo reading.

satya
Old 5th December 2009, 23:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

I remember once when I was driving from Bangalore to Mysore in my Alto Lxi, I was maintaining a constant 120 Kph for a while and just after Mandya my left rear just disintegrated. I changed to spare and continued on. I had to wait in Mysore for 2 hours for the tire shops to open. Funnily, the guy couldn't find any cause for my tire's malfunction. Thankfully the drums were not damaged.
Old 6th December 2009, 02:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ummm....wildsdi, you just brought up a 5 & a half year old thread! Please do look at the date of the last post before bringing up old threads.
Old 7th December 2009, 00:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sorry. I did see the date, but after posting. Will check henceforth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks