Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2018, 19:14   #166
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,701
Thanked: 1,180 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
It seems many people have upgraded the Figo/Aspire alloys. Has anyone fixed this issue.
True but ideally most of them have upsized the alloys to 15inch wheels and tyres. Same with me. I went for the same size wheels and tyres as provided in the the Figo S edition. Since your friend has gone for the same stock size alloy, it could be the problem of PCD due to multi PCD aftermarket alloys. It will ideally always be something to do with the hub rings or wheel balancing and alignment. Ask him to get the balancing checked at a reputed store before proceeding further with the troubleshooting. Steering vibrations or wobbling at high speeds mostly has to do with incorrect balancing most of the times.

Curious to know why he went for aftermarket alloys in the same size instead of upsizing to the Figo Sports size. In fact with Figo S being available, the best thing one can do if buying the normal Figo is to go for stock Figo S alloys as an accessory and change the tyres outside. Solves the problem of PCD and alloy width issues etc without any headache.
abhinav.s is online now  
Old 16th April 2018, 15:43   #167
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 182
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
True but ideally most of them have upsized the alloys to 15inch wheels and tyres. Same with me. I went for the same size wheels and tyres as provided in the the Figo S edition. Since your friend has gone for the same stock size alloy, it could be the problem of PCD due to multi PCD aftermarket alloys. It will ideally always be something to do with the hub rings or wheel balancing and alignment. Ask him to get the balancing checked at a reputed store before proceeding further with the troubleshooting. Steering vibrations or wobbling at high speeds mostly has to do with incorrect balancing most of the times.

Curious to know why he went for aftermarket alloys in the same size instead of upsizing to the Figo Sports size. In fact with Figo S being available, the best thing one can do if buying the normal Figo is to go for stock Figo S alloys as an accessory and change the tyres outside. Solves the problem of PCD and alloy width issues etc without any headache.
Abhinav he went for R14 alloys to get that look of a non oem design and not compromise on warranty issue.

I have shared earlier about my friends car. Now a little about my car. I bought the Figo tdci around same time Feb-2018 as my friend. But I swapped the oem alloys to Figo S spec(195 55 R15).

Past weekend we decided to do some high speed runs on a highway while exchanging the cars.

Outcome was:

Friends Figo with R14 alloys, had wobbling and steering vibration from 80kmph.

My Figo with R15 alloys, had steering vibration at 110-120 kmph. It was quite less than his but it was there.

Solution:
My friend has already installed the hub rings. So we went straight to a tyre balancer. He tested after balancing and even upto 175 kmph there were no issues.

I am yet to check for hub rings.
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 17:23   #168
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,701
Thanked: 1,180 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Solution:
My friend has already installed the hub rings. So we went straight to a tyre balancer. He tested after balancing and even upto 175 kmph there were no issues.
So it was indeed a balancing issue then. You may want to check your balancing as well since you are getting vibrations around 110-120kmph. Once checked you can go for hub rings!
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 17:01   #169
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 182
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
So it was indeed a balancing issue then. You may want to check your balancing as well since you are getting vibrations around 110-120kmph. Once checked you can go for hub rings!
Thanks. That is the plan for me now. Will update once I am done with balancing and test.
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 23:34   #170
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 199
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

I was running with MRF stock tyres @23000km on odi till today. Due to bad maintenance, long periods of parking and generally bad quality of the tyre I was facing severe tap tap tap noise along with vibration Almost for the last 6-7k kms this problem was there, I had minimised noise about 6 months back by wheel rotation and replacing 2 of the wheel rims. But the noise never left. Day before yesterday I could not tolerate the noise/vibration anymore.

Today I went to a wheel balancing shop in Mangalore for mounting the wheels and check for problems. I could find that 4 out of 5 rims were slightly bent. All 3 out of 5 tyres were having severe case of uneven tread depth. My best guess is that whenever the skids for considerable distance the tread which in contact with road will wear a lot compared to neighbouring treads. This is the main reason for the noise I was getting.

Decided to keep one rim and one tyre as 5th when and bought 4 new OEM rims, 4 Michelin energy XM2 ( stick size 175/65R14). Also replaced 2 scratched wheel caps with new ones. ₹20000 for tyres, ₹4000 for rims and ₹1000 for 2 wheel caps (approx cost).

Drove baikampady to Kumble in heavy rains and bad visibility, I could feel a significant improvement in comfort and tire noise. I'm a first time Michelin user, I'm really satisfied. Tomorrow I'll be driving to Bangalore. Will share my views tomorrow.
gauravanekar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 19:20   #171
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 199
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
Tomorrow I'll be driving to Bangalore. Will share my views tomorrow.
I don't need to elaborate too much here in Team-bhp thread but the tyres were fantastic.
Grip through corners, straights are very good. Tyre noise reduced significantly. Ride has become very comfortable due to flexible side wall, no jerks on bad roads. This tyre just glides over small potholes and expansion joints when compared to my previous tyres. I would definitely recommend this to fellow bhpians
gauravanekar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 09:20   #172
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,947
Thanked: 1,396 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

I was thinking of increasing my sidewall height to increase cushioning. Really need a plush ride, not always into corner carving.

Wanted to try 185/70 or 195/65 on stock 14" alloys. Because these two tires are within acceptable limits when compared to Figo S tires, and so I don't think there will be fouling with any part.

Few doubts are, if it will fit well on the 14" alloys and if it will look too unmatched for the car. Anybody tried these sizes?
thoma is offline  
Old 28th August 2018, 20:07   #173
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,701
Thanked: 1,180 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Few doubts are, if it will fit well on the 14" alloys and if it will look too unmatched for the car. Anybody tried these sizes?
You may try the 185/70 if you are sure of the clearances and not fouling with the wheel well. Erstwhile Verito/Logan came with this size and is supposed to give a very cushy and plush ride. But if you go with 185/70 you are looking at 5.4% deviation which is higher compared to the 2% acceptable limit. Even the 195/65 that you are considering puts you in the 4.5% ball park which is again very high deviation compared to acceptable limits. Since deviation is high it may screw up the handling / dynamics of the car.
The 185/70 may look ok on the car but the 195/65 will be just pushing it too much in terms of looks as the tyres will be bulging out of the rims a bit too much and not go well with the overall looks of the car.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 20:46   #174
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,947
Thanked: 1,396 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Erstwhile Verito/Logan came with this size and is supposed to give a very cushy and plush ride.
Thanks for this info.

Quote:
Since deviation is high it may screw up the handling / dynamics of the car.
And this. So that I might stick on to 185/65 on 14". I've always felt 175/65 is too puny for Figo. Had once put on 205/55(or 50?) on 15" alloys of my friend so that he could claim insurance using my stock wheels.

Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-img_20180523_113504.jpg

Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-img_20180828_204347.jpg

Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-img_20180828_204329.jpg


Which among Michelin/Continental/Yokahoma will be firstly more plusher and then less noisier? Any specific model? Want to check if Ford is still giving the pro rata offer on tire exchange. Mine has done just 14k and makes a lot of noise.
thoma is offline  
Old 28th August 2018, 21:30   #175
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,701
Thanked: 1,180 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I've always felt 175/65 is too puny for Figo. Had once put on 205/55(or 50?) on 15" alloys of my friend so that he could claim insurance using my stock wheels.
Definitely 175/65 for Figo D is a puny set up. The 205 looks like 55 profile and this is also a good size to go for if upgrading the tyre size to 15 inch. BTW I am running the 195/55 R15 from day 1 for almost 30,000 kms now and it feels like a good balance between ride, handling and grip. If you stick with 14 inch tyres, then 185/65 seems the best compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Which among Michelin/Continental/Yokahoma will be firstly more plusher and then less noisier? Any specific model? Want to check if Ford is still giving the pro rata offer on tire exchange. Mine has done just 14k and makes a lot of noise.
Michelin > Continental > Yokohama in that order. Michelin in 14" should be XM2. Have them on the Alto K10 and they are very good in terms of comfort. My Figo has the Continental Max Contact 5 which is again very good balance in terms of performance and comfort. Have never tried Yokohama somehow so no comments there. Pro rata exchange you can try your luck. Based on your rapport with the service center you may end up getting the exchange. But it will still be the stock size itself. So you may want to decide if you want to spend on getting same stock size albeit at lesser price or go all out for an upgrade in size.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 23:32   #176
Senior - BHPian
 
samaspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Manipal / Udupi
Posts: 1,564
Thanked: 4,413 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Want to check if Ford is still giving the pro rata offer on tire exchange. Mine has done just 14k and makes a lot of noise.
Check soon, because it will be difficult once you cross 15k. You can also upgrade the size as long as it's available with the dealer - just pay the difference. I took the 185 XM2s for my Aspire the same way.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 11:48   #177
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 126
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

New UPDATE: Ford Indian confirmed my tyre replacement. I have been given three choice to choose from, which are Michelin XM2, Bridgestone Ecopia and Good Year. I will have to pay the difference of MRP which I agreed. I am confused between Michelin and Bridgestone. Can the members please guide me about which tyre is better? I will have to pay approx 1050 more for Michelin and approx 700 more for Bridgestone. Any inputs are welcomed.
_nitink_ is offline  
Old 15th October 2018, 14:59   #178
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,150
Thanked: 8,615 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I was thinking of increasing my sidewall height to increase cushioning. Really need a plush ride, not always into corner carving.

Wanted to try 185/70 or 195/65 on stock 14" alloys. Because these two tires are within acceptable limits when compared to Figo S tires, and so I don't think there will be fouling with any part.

Few doubts are, if it will fit well on the 14" alloys and if it will look too unmatched for the car. Anybody tried these sizes?
Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-screen-shot-20180822-9.41.56-pm.png

Check the rim width and see which tyre width you can safely use.

I trust theoretical numbers up to a point. I wouldnt try 185/70-14 on a Figo. If you think it will be fine, go ahead.

I suggest 185/65-14 as I feel it's the best size.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 15:49   #179
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,655
Thanked: 16,224 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

@thoma - A friend is running 195/60 R14 Pirelli P1's on his Figo & they look thick + grippy, i'd suggest you consider this size
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 17:27   #180
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,947
Thanked: 1,396 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I trust theoretical numbers up to a point. I wouldnt try 185/70-14 on a Figo. If you think it will be fine, go ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
A friend is running 195/60 R14 Pirelli P1's on his Figo & they look thick + grippy, i'd suggest you consider this size
Thanks much Nikhil and Karan. I'm just back from the service center. Long story short, I decided to stick to stock size, or just maybe

This time Ford ASC agreed to replace the OEM MRFs which were noisy post 40 kmph. Since my car is past 10000 kms, I had to bear 25% of the cost even though I reported tire noise at 8500 kms and they didn't agree. They took an additional day as I insisted on Michelins instead of MRFs and they didn't have ready stock then. The SA was against upsizing as he said he is getting lot of complaints with steering pump on upsized cars. Moreover, the Michelin dealer could buy back the new tire for exchange only as seconds, i.e, I've to shell out 1500/- per tire if going for an upsize.

And on the initial test drive itself with stock size Michelins I'm mightily impressed.
thoma is offline   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks