Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 01:52   #196
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by @dr_figo View Post
Your post has come at the right time for me.
I too own a 2016 Ford Figo 1.5 TDCI. Presently car running on a set of Michelin XM2s in stock configuration. Since the tyres are due for replacement want to upsize now. Have shortlisted a set of ford freestyle alloys. But confusion is on tyre size between 195/55/r15 ,195/60/r15 and also 195/65/r15. Please give me some valuable feedback having driven on these configurations. Looking for a planted highway ride with more grip from the upgrade(primary). Wouldn't mind a little plusher ride too.
Thank you.
Happy to be of help. :-)

If worried about warranty, stick to 195/55 R15. Else go with 195/60 R15.
With my short experience on the later, am loving the softer ride and silent ride. ( Silent ride should just be attributed to the fresh rubber I think. )

I don't know why Ford went with 195/55 R15s for India atleast. I have had a bent alloy for having gone through a relatively shallow pothole at speed few years back. When I look back at the experience, I am sure it wouldve escaped unscathed with the higher profiled 195/60s.

Now, after three years, per darshan tyres, during the alignment it's identified that I might also be having a slightly bent front left suspension due to that hit. (My car steers to the left slightly on a straight line)

On the cons : I might've heard the tyre scrapping the insides a bit couple of times on bad patches. I didn't find any marks on the tyres or on the wheel well insides though. So, I think I am good there.

Last edited by jayakumarkp : 15th August 2020 at 02:02.
jayakumarkp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 02:20   #197

Thank you for your feedback. Recently got a set of freestyle alloys for very good price(was exchanged by original owner for momo alloys). Will purchase tyres next month. 195 55 r15 was my original choice. But wouldn't want a bent alloy due to a pothole hit. 185 60 r15(stock freestyle) seems to be a middle ground between 195 60 r15 and 195 55 r15.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-img_20200815_021912_1.jpg  

@dr_figo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 13:10   #198
BHPian

185/65 R15 will probably be too tall for the figo suspension setup. ( Might scrape the wheel wells over bad roads etc. )
Old 21st August 2020, 23:09   #199
Senior - BHPian

I had upgraded my Aspire to Continental CC5 185/65R14s last year. It's been 12k Kms since then. It could have been 20k Kms had the Lockdown not in place. But, this was also time when these tyres were tested in heavy rains. I must say that these have fared as expected. I had used Michelins twice on my Santro & Goodyear Triplemax Assurance last time on Aspire.

I believe I paid around Rs.100/- more than the best deal I could get. But, these are as good as Michelins barring the comfortable ride, as Michelins had softer sidewall. The roads in my area as bad & there hasn't been any puncture or other damage despite me using my car as donkey.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with the car & CC5s. Would definitely recommend these to anyone.
CARDEEP is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 15:30   #200

Hello guys, finally took the plunge. Upsized my figo's wheels. Went for Yokohama s drive 195 55 R15. Earlier last month has managed to procure a set of freestyle alloys for a steal. So far so good. Was expecting ride to be a lot more stiffer but it's not the case. Very happy with the upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-img_20200905_150232.jpg  

Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-img_20200905_150111.jpg  

Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-img_20200905_145711.jpg  

@dr_figo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 21:27   #201
BHPian

Hi,

I drive an Aspire TItanium diesel 2015 model, presently having run almost 88000 km. I have to replace my current Goodyear Assurance stock size tyres, currently the second set after factory fitted MRF tyres, which were changed at 45000 km. The MRF 's were too noisy while the Goodyear's have had repeated punctures. I drive almost 80 km daily over city and highway roads with rain-induced potholes, innumerable unmarked rumble strips plus waterlogged paths.

I wish to continue on stock sizes and am considering Yokohama Earth or Michelin XM2. My dealer has offered Bridgestones while my FNG has asked me to go for Apollo Alnacs. I have read thoroughly almost all threads in Team Bhp, consulted with few commercial Aspire drivers, few but rare private Aspire owners in Guwahati but have been unable to find a definitive answer. I need the opinions of members of this experienced forum before I take the plunge.

Cost is not an issue as much is safety, especially with the rainy weather here in Assam.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by ampere : 5th September 2020 at 22:06. Reason: formatted
Old 6th September 2020, 12:46   #202
Senior - BHPian

Hi @eyedocgb

I prefer Apollo Alnac 4Gs over Bridgestone. That my personal preference though. Had average experience with Bridgestones on Santro, but good experience with Apollos on i20.

The Alnac 4G could have been the replacement tyres on my Aspire had I not bought the Continental CC5s.

Best of luck with your purchase.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 15:31   #203
BHPian

Hello friends! I am planning for a tyre upgrade on my Aspire TDCi.
Apollo Alnac 4G 185/60/R14 and Yokohama Earth1 185/65/R14 are under consideration. Which one of these would be a better choice?
Preferences are - Grip & handling > Tyre life > Ride comfort.
Currently running on 175/65/R14 Apollo Amazer 4G.
Any other suggestions with R14 rims?
Old 9th September 2020, 19:44   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Hello friends! I am planning for a tyre upgrade on my Aspire TDCi.
Apollo Alnac 4G 185/60/R14 and Yokohama Earth1 185/65/R14 are under consideration. Which one of these would be a better choice?
Preferences are - Grip & handling > Tyre life > Ride comfort.
Currently running on 175/65/R14 Apollo Amazer 4G.
Any other suggestions with R14 rims?
Hi @Achilles
Since your location reads Bengaluru, I would suggest 185/65/R14 to you for it gives the marginally higher ground clearance over 60 profile tyres.
Brand is your choice as I don't have any experience with Yoko's.
Just to suggest you, I have Continental CC5s on my Aspire, & I was pleasantly surprised with their braking performance in the wet in past fortnight. Dry weather performance is good, but I cannot form any opinion on how silent these are as roads I traverse are generally bad & when you get a good patch it feel better. Those were around 4100 per tyre almost a year ago.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:07   #205
BHPian

Thanks CARDEEP for your suggestion. I'll check Continental CC5 as well.
Do you think 185/65 R14 will have any significant variation in odo readings? Also, how about the visual appearance?
Old 10th September 2020, 13:36   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Thanks CARDEEP for your suggestion. I'll check Continental CC5 as well.
Do you think 185/65 R14 will have any significant variation in odo readings? Also, how about the visual appearance?
Not significant variation in odometer readings, but I'm fairly within the permissible speeds when speedo reads I'm driving bit faster

Looks & grip/ handling wise these are better than the OEM ones (I had MRFs, which were later changed under recay by Ford & I opted for Goodyears then). Even the Goodyear Triplemax Assurance tyres served me well, but off late there are complaints of sidewall tear & puncture prone nature of latter.
Old 14th September 2020, 14:47   #207
BHPian

Thank you CARDEEP for your suggestions.I have followed in your tyres steps and gave my Aspire a new set of Continental CC5's today.
The new tyres have made a subtle difference in the ride quality over rain eroded streets .
Thanks to all members of the forum .
Old 17th October 2020, 20:11   #208
BHPian

Hello everyone.
It's time to replace tyres in my Figo TDCi purchased in October 2016. I had replaced the OEM MRFs on Day-1 by Michelin XM2 retaining the stock size (175/65R14).

Short review: This is the fifth set of Michelins in various cars in family and they are absolutely brilliant, no doubt. Very good dry and wet grip, comfort, braking performance, cornering performance, puncture resistance and low noise. Only one side wall cut incident among five sets.

Current situation: Now, my tyres have run 67,000 kms in 4 years, which is fantastic and I never expected such a long life. Looking at the tread depth, they are good for next 10,000 kms. However, I am thinking of replacing due to following reasons:
1. Performance has deteriorated.
2. Ageing / dehydration (I reckon its the right word) of rubber has resulted on cracks on sidewalls and treads.
3. Non-uniform wear on two tyres.

Problem and suggestion required: I am looking for upsizing to 185/65R14 which is beneficial and proven. It's a no-brainer to go for Michelin again. However, I don't want to spend that much of money now, reason being, owing to several reasons the Figo will be doing hardly 8000 kms annually, now. So, the reason of next replacement will be ageing and not wear. Can anyone suggest a tyre which has good resistance against ageing and offer 80% of Michelin performance.
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 00:51   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.awate View Post
Can anyone suggest a tyre which has good resistance against ageing and offer 80% of Michelin performance.
Suggest you go for Yokohama Earth-1 185/65/R14 tyres. I recently got them installed after using Yokohama S-drives 195/60/R14.

S-drives were for 24k, Earth-1's for 18k. I wanted to go for a harder compound only because of frequent punctures and a tyre life of 40k kms.

Earth-1 has good enough grip, better than the rest and are resistant enough to small punctures.
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 14:30   #210
BHPian

Hi, looking for hub rings for my Figo. 73.1mm to 63.3mm (Figo’s centre bore size). Please let me know where i can find the same. My Momo alloys came with these but ever since i shifted to HRS a year ago, I’ve never been able to get my car balanced and it always vibrates above 100kmph and its extremely frustrating.

With my Momo Wheels, it went up to the top speed without breaking a sweat and with utmost stability.

Please help me find these hub rings, it’s been a year and it’s just frustrating to live with this sort of vibration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks