Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2017, 22:27   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_kaush View Post
I will be getting my new Figo Titanium 1.2P delivered this weekend or next week probably.

Will be using it for short night drives within city and occasional long drives on weekends.

Should I go for a 185/65/R14 Michelin XM2 upgrade right away or upgrade later if I face any of the typical issues mentioned here.

Asking this since usage will be limited within city most of the time.
rider_kaush, I would suggest you to upgrade to better rubber than changing the tyre specs which will not mess with any of your warranty claims, but will improve the ride quality and also the road grip.
kptraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 17:18   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_kaush View Post
Will be using it for short night drives within city and occasional long drives on weekends.Should I go for a 185/65/R14 Michelin XM2 upgrade right away or upgrade later if I face any of the typical issues mentioned here.Asking this since usage will be limited within city most of the time.
I would strongly recommend you to not only go for an upgrade to Michelin XM2 but, would also recommend you to up-size it to 185mm from stock 175mm as there would be a phenomenal improvement in your overall driving experience. As you will continue to be on a 14" alloy there will be no problems with warranty as well!

Steering will become slightly firmer and tyres will be almost noiseless and will grip better and will ensure that you enjoy your car better

It does not matter if you drive in city/highway/less number of kilometers
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 10:08   #108
BHPian

The stock rubber, ie the MRFs are really unmatched with the figo. Although they have a hard sidewall, they are noisy, bouncy, and loose grip very easily, which is scary for such a fast car. The Michelin website 'recommends' two sizes for the figo. The stock size ie 175/65 R 14 and 185/60 R14. Now my question is, the 2nd option although wider by 1 cm has a lower sidewall. About 2.75 mm narrower. Which translates to lower ride height and the car running on even smaller wheels. ( Considering the R 14 is looked upon by people as undersized for the figo). Is anyone using the 185/60 R14s on the figo? Can you share your experiences? A few pictures are also very very much welcome . Thanks!
Old 17th April 2017, 10:47   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shourya_lahiri View Post
The stock rubber, ie the MRFs are really unmatched with the figo. Although they have a hard sidewall, they are noisy, bouncy, and loose grip very easily, which is scary for such a fast car. The Michelin website 'recommends' two sizes for the figo. The stock size ie 175/65 R 14 and 185/60 R14. Now my question is, the 2nd option although wider by 1 cm has a lower sidewall. About 2.75 mm narrower. Which translates to lower ride height and the car running on even smaller wheels. ( Considering the R 14 is looked upon by people as undersized for the figo). Is anyone using the 185/60 R14s on the figo? Can you share your experiences? A few pictures are also very very much welcome . Thanks!
I would confidently advise you to get 185/65 R14 Michelin XM2.
Its a tried and tested combination.

For pics you can check here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post4067899
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 00:14   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I would confidently advise you to get 185/65 R14 Michelin XM2.
Its a tried and tested combination.

For pics you can check here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post4067899
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. But as i noticed, there is no input on the handling front of the Michelins. Does the extra 10mm with help? And how is the cornering on these? Also the 185/65 with see an increase in ride height. Increasing the CG of the vehicle. Isn't that a trade off? Why can we not stick to the 175/65 but with better rubber?
Old 20th April 2017, 10:42   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. But as i noticed, there is no input on the handling front of the Michelins. Does the extra 10mm with help? And how is the cornering on these? Also the 185/65 with see an increase in ride height. Increasing the CG of the vehicle. Isn't that a trade off? Why can we not stick to the 175/65 but with better rubber?
Shourya,

185s will change the dynamics of the car, +1 size (10mm) more contact surface has a very positive impact in terms of handling and also ride comfort.
(Win win situation for Indian condition, Isn't it ?)
Figo 1.5 is a fast car & you need more contact surface to exploit its potential.

Theoretically, sidewall height increase would only be 7mm but real scenario it would lesser as rubber would get compressor with load. Hence, the CG impact wouldn't be even noticeable unless your aim is to make race spec car where even having passengers in car would be a trade off.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 13:19   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Shourya,

Figo 1.5 is a fast car & you need more contact surface to exploit its potential.
Thanks for taking out time to answer my queries, really appreciate it. Yes the figo is fast, and the mrf's are loosing grip very often.

Quote:
Theoretically, sidewall height increase would only be 7mm but real scenario it would lesser as rubber would get compressor with load. Hence, the CG impact wouldn't be even noticeable unless your aim is to make race spec car where even having passengers in car would be a trade off.
Nice way to put it. Just one more favor from you , If I may. Can you post some pics of your figo with the 185/65 R14's? A visual of the case would be highly useful. Thanks a lot !
Old 20th April 2017, 13:34   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice way to put it. Just one more favor from you , If I may. Can you post some pics of your figo with the 185/65 R14's? A visual of the case would be highly useful. Thanks a lot !
Shourya,

My Figo is 1.4 tdci and currently I am travelling so don't have relevant pic of the car showing the tires.
Here's couple of them just for your reference.

Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-fb_img_1492674925912.jpg

Both cars came with stock 175/65 R14 tires and were upgraded to 185/65 R14 on day 1.
Till date, both cars in total have done 2.5 lacs kms
Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-fb_img_1492674951463.jpg
kpzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 19:39   #114
BHPian

Now that the Figo S is out and that it comes with 15" wheels, any tips on how to go about obtaining them for my plain vanilla Figo? Will the fit (same Bolt configuration)? Price is not an issue.
Old 22nd April 2017, 20:40   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
Now that the Figo S is out and that it comes with 15" wheels, any tips on how to go about obtaining them for my plain vanilla Figo? Will the fit (same Bolt configuration)? Price is not an issue.
In fact all Fords - except the Endeavour have the 108 PCD 4 bolts configuration. So you can definitely upgrade your wheel size. However, just be cautious to not go overboard, as the inner wheel arches 'might' foul. Figo S has a different suspension, so it might have the clearance.
aravind.anand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:14   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
The Figo has a stiffer suspension. The springs are shorter. Thus the 15" wheels do not raise the ride height. The plain vanilla one (like that ) will see an increase in ride height on the same size.

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2020 at 07:47. Reason: Typos
Old 9th May 2017, 08:26   #117
Senior - BHPian

I will be taking delivery of my Aspire Sports in few weeks.

The car comes with Apollo Alnacs from the factory as far as I have noticed.
I am planning on replacing them as soon as I take the car. I am looking at the same size in Conti Max Contact or MRF ZLo's.
On my previous gen Figo I started off with the Conto Eco Contact 3 which were good overall but prone to punctures and then moved to Zlo's which were just brilliant when it came to grip , but noisy.

I am not looking at XM2 since it will be pushing my budget. Is the Conti Max Contact a good tyre overall? The previous Conti's I had got noisy post 30k kms.
Any other suggestion keeping grip and tyre noise in mind?

Last edited by tharian : 9th May 2017 at 08:51. Reason: spelling
Old 9th May 2017, 08:48   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I will be take delivery of my Aspire Sports in few weeks.
Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am not looking at XM2 since it will be pushing my budget. Is the Conti Max Contact a good tyre overall?
Don't think we have Michelin available in that size. Aspect ratio of 55 and Michelin doesn't go together over here.

Conti is a good choice with regard to grip, handling and noise. Yes, it does get a bit hard and noisy post 30k.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 00:48   #119
BHPian

Have decided to go for an upgrade finally. The stock mrf 175/65 are just not up to the task of keeping up to the car's prowess. Had a few close calls till now, mostly because of the tyre's poor grip and water wading. Figured driving near potential on these shoes is a matter of lack of safety.
Since I will like to stick with the OEM alloys, as they are sexy, I have zeroed down to 195/60 r14 on MRF ZLO's. Opting out the 185/65 r14 as these have more variance over the final change in diameter.
Any suggestions for or against my choice are most welcome.
Also a query as to how much would a set of 5 ZLO's set me back by? Approximately..
Thanks in advance.
Regards

Last edited by shourya_lahiri : 10th May 2017 at 00:50. Reason: Typo
shourya_lahiri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 12:02   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I will like to stick with the OEM alloys, as they are sexy, I have zeroed down to 195/60 r14 on MRF ZLO's. Opting out the 185/65 r14 as these have more variance over the final change in diameter.
Any suggestions for or against my choice are most welcome.
Also a query as to how much would a set of 5 ZLO's set me back by? Approximately..
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Zlo's are brilliant tyres when it comes to outright grip and performance. Hard braking, fast corners and quick acceleration are fully enjoyed on these tyres. With the 195 size, stability improves quite a bit too.

I have these on my Figo (old gen) in the same size and when it comes to pushing the car, these tyres are brilliant.

The downside to all this is the Zlo's are known to create a 'whoop-whoop' noise due to the thread design. It can be annoying especially on the highways. They are soft tyres and can wear out soon. They are not comfort oriented and you may find it hard at times which may be better on the new Figo since the old one had stiff suspension.

The price should be around the 4k mark for each.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks