Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2017, 12:15   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I will be taking delivery of my Aspire Sports in few weeks.

The car comes with Apollo Alnacs from the factory as far as I have noticed.
I am planning on replacing them as soon as I take the car. I am looking at the same size in Conti Max Contact or MRF ZLo's.
On my previous gen Figo I started off with the Conto Eco Contact 3 which were good overall but prone to punctures and then moved to Zlo's which were just brilliant when it came to grip , but noisy.

I am not looking at XM2 since it will be pushing my budget. Is the Conti Max Contact a good tyre overall? The previous Conti's I had got noisy post 30k kms.
Any other suggestion keeping grip and tyre noise in mind?
Congrats but dont waste money on the tyres.

The Apollos are decent and any other tyre will not be worth the money you spend.

The Continental MC5 is good but as I said, not worth the price you pay.

Get the Continentals or whatever later on when the Apollos wear out.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 23:44   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Zlo's are brilliant tyres when it comes to outright grip and performance. Hard braking, fast corners and quick acceleration are fully enjoyed on these tyres. With the 195 size, stability improves quite a bit too.

I have these on my Figo (old gen) in the same size and when it comes to pushing the car, these tyres are brilliant.

The downside to all this is the Zlo's are known to create a 'whoop-whoop' noise due to the thread design. It can be annoying especially on the highways. They are soft tyres and can wear out soon. They are not comfort oriented and you may find it hard at times which may be better on the new Figo since the old one had stiff suspension.

The price should be around the 4k mark for each.
Wow. music to my ears. Thanks for the review. This is exactly what i want. The car screams for more foothold. Have confirmed on the zlo's and will be fitting those by next week. Just waiting for some funds. Will post a review post changing.
Cant imagine the woop woop sound as you stated. Seems like have to fit these and listen to it to find out
Old 17th May 2017, 07:48   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

The Apollos are decent and any other tyre will not be worth the money you spend.

The Continental MC5 is good but as I said, not worth the price you pay.

Get the Continentals or whatever later on when the Apollos wear out.
Thanks for that.

From what I understand, it is pointless to change tryes for the difference I have to pay and it is better to spend that when time comes?
What do you think of the Zlo? Since they are priced lower. I have them on my present car and enjoy it thoroughly. Not sure if the Alnacs are as good when it comes to grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shourya_lahiri View Post
Cant imagine the woop woop sound as you stated. Seems like have to fit these and listen to it to find out
There are few on the forum who have experienced the same. It is not a loud noise. It is more like wind noise , but with breaks. It has reduced on my tyres, the more it ran.

Last edited by tharian : 17th May 2017 at 07:50.
Old 17th May 2017, 09:39   #124
BHPian

Quote:
I will be taking delivery of my Aspire Sports in few weeks.
Congrats tharian!!! So, staying within the Ford family eh!? Nice, I'm super happy about it!!!
Any specific reason choosing the Aspire S over the Figo S? Why I ask is, both are sub 4m cars, interior space will be pretty much the same and as will be the over all packaging. I love the way Figo S looks with the black treatment and in that red shade along with the TDCi stonker will be a perfect upgrade to your gorgeous looking previous gen Figo!

Quote:
The car comes with Apollo Alnacs from the factory as far as I have noticed.
I am planning on replacing them as soon as I take the car. I am looking at the same size in Conti Max Contact or MRF ZLo's.
On my previous gen Figo I started off with the Conto Eco Contact 3 which were good overall but prone to punctures and then moved to Zlo's which were just brilliant when it came to grip , but noisy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I've a question for the both of you. I bought the prev gen Figo couple of months back. It has covered 13xxx kms in the past 7 yrs and is running on the stock Goodyear GT3s. My questions are -

1) The front right tyre seems to be losing psi every week. I maintain the pressure of 33psi but by the end of the week the pressure would've dropped to 24-26psi! I got the tyre and the wheel examined with Ford A*S*S and there are no punctures/cracks and the wheel is also not bent. Suspected the valve to be worn out and got it changed but still facing the same issue. What could be the reason?

2) Is it advisable to run the car on 7yr old tyres? I intend to drive to Udupi in a couple of weeks time but still unsure if I should.
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 11:33   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Congrats tharian!!! So, staying within the Ford family eh!? Nice, I'm super happy about it!!!
Any specific reason choosing the Aspire S over the Figo S? Why I ask is, both are sub 4m cars, interior space will be pretty much the same and as will be the over all packaging. I love the way Figo S looks with the black treatment and in that red shade along with the TDCi stonker will be a perfect upgrade to your gorgeous looking previous gen Figo!
OT;

Thank you.
I needed the boot space. It looked like the boot on the Figo was smaller than the previous gen. I have done quote a bit of long trips on my Figo and decent boot space had helped and wanted a slightly bigger one this time.

As for your Figo, I would suggest changing the tyres to 185 size and enjoy it more.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 21:37   #126
BHPian

Finally done with the upgrade. As promised sharing the experience.
Unfortunately, could not acquire the zlo's. Reason - unavailability of stock for the proposed size ie 195/60 R14. The newest one was 2012 manufactured. Bridgestone didn't have in that category. Apollo alnac 4G were available but I recently I had a chance to drive the Abarth Punto, with the same tyres and i was not impressed. It's a personal opinion though. The alnacs felt too much comfort oriented for my liking. With Goodyear and jktyres already out of the list, I was left with my last option. Falken. So now my figo is riding on Falken sincera SN 835. Same spec.
Yesterday after fitting the tyres and getting the wheel alignment done, I was unable to analyse the results immediately as they had screwed up the steering dead centre and the car was pulling noticably to the right. Today got the same corrected and here are my findings.
This size looks fine on the car. There doesn't seem to be any rise in ride height, just as i wanted. The thread patterns look pleasing and the slightly wider stance compliments the car. In short it feels at home.
I must say i am quite pleased with the performance. Not being biased on justifying my purchase here. These tyres are really nice. They​ put down power to the tarmac very nicely. The car seems more planted and comfortable with high speeds. I tried a particular corner on a flyover, where I always push the car. AllI can say is that I managed it at 110 where my mrf's started to squeal at below 100. And the falken's still had loads of grip left. I think the best part is the way they behave at high speeds. Full of grip always and a very nice AERO sound. I always thought the stock mrf's we limiting the car's dynamics. And I was right. These tyres mean business with their speed rating. On the other hand I must say, like the other's have said that wider tyres will immediately have a big impact on steering feel, frankly i did not finf any drastic change. Unless the Speedo goes North of 100, the story is almost similar in terms of feedback.
All in all I am pretty impressed. Will push the car harder now and update if i find anything worth sharing.
Thanks for your time
Cheers
Shourya.
shourya_lahiri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 08:28   #127
BHPian

Hello all. I want to change my Figo 1.5 Petrol DCT tires' from the stock to the 185/65/R14 Michelin XM2s. My car has done about 16K kms so far (without any tyre issues so far) and I want to know what is the estimated exchange value of the current tires that I may be getting back.

Also if anyone in Pune (PCMC area) has a well known tyre dealer please do let me know. Many thanks!

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 24th May 2017 at 08:30.
Old 29th May 2017, 20:03   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
My car has done about 16K kms so far (without any tyre issues so far) and I want to know what is the estimated exchange value of the current tires that I may be getting back.!
Usually, tyres which have run more than 100kms do not have good buy back value. In fact you have actually used up almost 1/3 of the usable tyre life. Here in Bangalore, they buy back such tyres for around 500-800 per tyre. This is also a stretch and in some cases they refuse to buy back stock size tyres itself. Try your luck at known good dealers and see if they can give you a good deal as you will be buying the tyres from them.
abhinav.s is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 12:49   #129
BHPian

Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-fb_img_1496215000409.jpg

Here's the heads up I promised. As you can see the falkens look decent. Plus there is a good difference in highway driving. Overall satisfied. A worthy upgrade.
shourya_lahiri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 13:36   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Hello all. I want to change my Figo 1.5 Petrol DCT tires' from the stock to the 185/65/R14 Michelin XM2s. My car has done about 16K km so far (without any tyre issues so far) and I want to know what is the estimated exchange value of the current tires that I may be getting back.
Like Abhinav mentioned, stock tyres are exchanged by dealers only if its brand new (< 100kms used) but, at 16K it's going to put a dent in your pocket.

My recommendation is to use the stock tyres until 25K km-30K km and then replace them as they hold no exchange value now (at the most INR 500/- tyre).

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd March 2021 at 22:43. Reason: Punctuation
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 21:20   #131

What would be the ideal psi when filling nitrogen in new Figo (1.2P) stock tires?
Old 16th July 2017, 16:39   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_kaush View Post
What would be the ideal psi when filling nitrogen in new Figo (1.2P) stock tires?
It will remain the same as what is mentioned in the manual.
The only difference is, the rate at which the pressure drops will be a bit lesser than air.
It is not actual nitrogen, probably a slightly more percentage than air.
Old 19th July 2017, 09:38   #133
BANNED

Hi all,
I'm planning to change the stock tyre of Aspire from 175/65/14 to 195/60/14. What effect would that cause in terms of ride,handling and steering feedback? Would the tyres be jutting out? I'm not worried about the fuel efficiency part. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
The Rationalist.
Old 20th July 2017, 12:10   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Hi all,
I'm planning to change the stock tyre of Aspire from 175/65/14 to 195/60/14. What effect would that cause in terms of ride,handling and steering feedback? Would the tyres be jutting out? I'm not worried about the fuel efficiency part. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
The Rationalist.
All of it would improve.
185 would be the right upsize on the 14' rims.

195 will jut out a bit at the point where the bumper curves in, but will suit the car.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 20:25   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shourya_lahiri View Post
Finally done with the upgrade.... size ie 195/60 R14....
Hi Shourya!
The 185/65/R14 tyres on my Figo 1.5TDCi are due for a change and I'm planning to go for the 195/60/R14 size like you. It's been a few months since your tyre-change. What's your feedback on the upgrade now?!
Thanks!

Most Viewed