Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 20:02   #151
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Figo 1.5 AT Titatium Hatchback

I have plus sized the wheel to 15" (Plati rims), with Yokohama S-Drive 195/55/R15 Tyres. The steering wheel is now a bit too heavy for my liking.

Heavy steering is not new to me (after years of driving a Commodore VZ SS V8 overseas). However, I got used to the light steering on this little Figo. Now, I miss the light steering! It was very useful while navigating poorly designed roads and when avoiding uneducated road users.

How do I get my nifty light steering back?
  • Is there an EPS tweak?
  • Should I go back to narrow profile tyres?
  • Could it be an alignment issue? - I know the shop didn't re-check the alignment after the second tyre swap (Yokohama). I also know a negative castor angle will lighten the steering. Is it even possible to change castor on a front wheel drive (sorry this is my first one).
During the upgrade I was sold 185/60/R15 Michelins which I used for a few KMs before returning them. They were silent, with great ride quality. I returned them the next day after calculating/worrying that they were >3% OD oversized.

Photos:
First Picture attached is with the 185/60/R15 Michelins
The rest show the current config on Yokohoma S-Drive 195/55/R15

Cheers,
K
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-img_1313.jpg  

Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-img_1316_2.jpg  

Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-img_1317_2.jpg  

keith2524 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 09:17   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
Figo 1.5 AT Titatium Hatchback

I have plus sized the wheel to 15" (Plati rims), with Yokohama S-Drive 195/55/R15 Tyres. The steering wheel is now a bit too heavy for my liking.

How do I get my nifty light steering back?
It's just time to get used to it and it won't feel heavy anymore. The Figo's steering is actually too light I would say and a bit heaviness is good. I drive an Aspire with the same specs and I still feel it is the lightest of all cars I have driven.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 16:05   #153
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am exploring wheel upgrade options for my impending purchase Figo. I see that 195 55 R15 is the most recommended option here.

Does 55 profile increase the risk of sidewall cuts? Although I will be primarily driving on urban roads with 3-4 outstation road trips. Now these outstation roads can be an unknown territory.

Also which will be the best tyre in this size (objective is less road noise and enhanced grip)
Old 22nd January 2018, 18:09   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
I see that 195 55 R15 is the most recommended option here.
This is the best size to go for in the 15 inch wheel size. If you prefer to stick to 14 inch alloy from the OEM, then you can opt for 185 65 R14 size.

Quote:
Does 55 profile increase the risk of sidewall cuts? Although I will be primarily driving on urban roads with 3-4 outstation road trips. Now these outstation roads can be an unknown territory.
I have been running 195 55 R15 on Continental MC5 tyres for nearly 15,000 kms so far. This size is also the size provided on the International Figo variant as well as so it seems to be the correct upsize. Safe size to go for since it is OEM recommended.

Quote:
Also which will be the best tyre in this size (objective is less road noise and enhanced grip)
Continental MC5 is the most prevalent in this size. Michelin is also supposed to be coming up with a tyre in this size but not sure if they already have one in the market. The MC5 is a good balance between performance and grip and very less road noise. It is also good on the bad roads no roads section as well. All the best with your choice.
Old 22nd January 2018, 19:39   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
This is the best size to go for in the 15 inch wheel size. If you prefer to stick to 14 inch alloy from the OEM, then you can opt for 185 65 R14 size.

I have been running 195 55 R15 on Continental MC5 tyres for nearly 15,000 kms so far. This size is also the size provided on the International Figo variant as well as so it seems to be the correct upsize. Safe size to go for since it is OEM recommended.

Continental MC5 is the most prevalent in this size. Michelin is also supposed to be coming up with a tyre in this size but not sure if they already have one in the market. The MC5 is a good balance between performance and grip and very less road noise. It is also good on the bad roads no roads section as well. All the best with your choice.
Thanks for covering all my queries Abhinav.

In all likelihood I will go for 15 inch. Will decide on rubber soon.
Old 1st February 2018, 10:40   #156
BHPian

Ok so I've done 30,000kms plus on the stock tires of the Figo AT and the tyre noise has become just unbearable, to say the least. Mostly it feels like I'm riding only on wheels, the noise is that bad.

So for an upgrade to 185/65 R14 I have zeroed these choices,

Apollo Alnacs - Cheapest among these.

Yoko Earth 1 - Some say more road noise than Michelins after few thousand kms.

Michelin XM2 - Some say more puncture prone and more suitable for good roads only.

Help.

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 1st February 2018 at 10:41. Reason: additions
Old 1st February 2018, 11:25   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Ok so I've done 30,000kms plus on the stock tires of the Figo AT and the tyre noise has become just unbearable, to say the least. Mostly it feels like I'm riding only on wheels, the noise is that bad.

So for an upgrade to 185/65 R14 I have zeroed these choices,

Apollo Alnacs - Cheapest among these.

Yoko Earth 1 - Some say more road noise than Michelins after few thousand kms.

Michelin XM2 - Some say more puncture prone and more suitable for good roads only.

Help.
Alnac 4g's are worth their price. But does get noisy as it wears out.
XM2's are the best bet and with 185 size, you will enjoy the drive more.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 11:31   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Yoko Earth 1 - Some say more road noise than Michelins after a few thousand km.
I'm using these on the Aspire for nearly 43,000 km and totally love them. I don't think of getting off the road and they have an excellent grip on dry and wet.

With respect to noise, I don't know what speeds you drive but, even at higher speeds, they are not bad at all. You will never get disturbed by noise seeping into the cabin.

I have already decided to swap in my tyres (after another 5000kms) with yet another set of Yoko Earth 1's.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd March 2021 at 22:42. Reason: Punctuation
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 12:05   #159
BHPian

My Aspire TDCi is running on stock size Michelin XM2 which was replaced by FORD under warranty. It has clocked around 9000 kms in last 9 months with the usage being 40% in Bangalore city traffic and the rest on highways. I can feel the improvement in ride quality and less road noise when compared with stock MRF. No puncture till date.
murthy_p is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 12:16   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I'm using these on the Aspire for nearly 43,000kms and totally love them. I dont think of getting off the road and they have excellent grip on dry and wet

With respect to noise, I dont know what speeds you drive but, even at higher speeds they are not bad at all. You will never get disturbed by noise seeping into the cabin

I have already decided to swap in my tyres (after another 5000kms) with yet another set of Yoko Earth 1's
Will have to disagree with you on that Avi. I did 2500kms recently on my 30K kms run Earth 1 which are less than 4 years old. These tyres are not silent at all. The Corolla as everyone knows has excellent NVH and insulation and even with these I felt the tyres could have been quieter. If you're saying that these are tyres are cheap and best for that price then yes will agree.

The Earth1's biggest USP is tyre life and VFM. They last and last. As you mentioned you are at 43K kms and good for 5K more. They are far from the quietest and far from being the grippiest. There are much better tyres available either offering better grip or lower noise now at almost same prices.

The Continental MC5 has better grip but may not last as long and isn't quiet. Yoko now has a new tyre Blue Earth as well. Then there's the XM2 from Michelin.

All 3 are superior to Earth 1 and diff in terms of characteristic. Prices are similar or a little more.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4338582 (Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India))

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st February 2018 at 12:21.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 13:29   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Earth1's biggest USP is tyre life and VFM. They last and last. As you mentioned you are at 43K kms and good for 5K more. They are far from the quietest and far from being the grippiest. There are much better tyres available either offering better grip or lower noise now at almost same prices.

The Continental MC5 has better grip but may not last as long and isn't quiet. Yoko now has a new tyre Blue Earth as well. Then there's the XM2 from Michelin.

All 3 are superior to Earth 1 and diff in terms of characteristic. Prices are similar or a little more.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4338582 (Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India))
Viddy, I am a big fan of Michelin and Continentals but, both high end tyres not the mid or base range

But, for Aspire I could not find the Michelins 3ST which I initially wanted to install so went with Yoko as a gamble (Not a fan of Yoko at all) and pleasantly surprised with their performance and longevity

You know my style of driving () which is i am not too gentle on the car at all. Besides that pleasing me is not too easy...LOL!

Actually, I may be used to the tyres so cannot make out how silent Michelins can be (I know they are super silent) but, all i can say that Yoko's tyre noise has not annoyed me till now

I will leave it at that for now
Old 1st February 2018, 14:47   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Actually, I may be used to the tyres so cannot make out how silent Michelins can be (I know they are super silent) but, all i can say that Yoko's tyre noise has not annoyed me till now
True, this might be the case since you are used to the Yoko's now. Plus, comparing the NVH with the Aspire's is unfair as the Aspire is nowhere near and you will hear lots of other sounds.

The Altis NVH is leagues ahead of most cars and the tyre sound is pretty much what filters through as you don't hear anything else in the cabin and mine is a petrol.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 15:39   #163
BHPian

Posting on behalf of a friend.

My friend purchased his Figo in Feb 2018 and immediately swapped the OEM alloys with Plati 14 inch alloys and stock tyres. Car is not even 2k kms old. Lately he is experiencing wobbling at high speeds.

CB is 67.1 and hub is 63.3

he has even tried Hub centric rings but no fix to wobbling issue.

Please suggest what can be reasons and solution to this wobbling issue.
Old 10th April 2018, 18:23   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest what can be reasons and solution to this wobbling issue.
Does he still have the stock alloys? If yes swap them and check if the issue occurs again. If it does not, then it is certainly an issue with the alloy hub size mismatch and may need a closer look at better hub rings. If it happens even with stock alloys then a visit to the service center is definitely prudent.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 19:03   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Does he still have the stock alloys? If yes swap them and check if the issue occurs again. If it does not, then it is certainly an issue with the alloy hub size mismatch and may need a closer look at better hub rings. If it happens even with stock alloys then a visit to the service center is definitely prudent.
Thanks Abhinav. He gave the oem alloys to installer. So we may not have this option.

It seems many people have upgraded the Figo/Aspire alloys. Has anyone fixed this issue.

Most Viewed