Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2016, 17:28   #1
Team-BHP Support

All-Terrain Tyres for the new-gen Mahindra Scorpio?

The new gen Scorpio even in 4WD format comes in with Bridgestone Duelers HT tires. While they are good, comfortable and grippy on the road, they are simply pathetic the moment they come close to mother earth.

Just an hour ago, I had to go off the road as a truck had broken down and the tires were spinning hopelessly on hard mud. I can't even imagine if it would have rained.

What options do we have for 235/65 R17 size? There are mixed reviews of Pirelli Scorpio ATR's. Any other tires? Michelin Cross would have been fantastic but they aren't available and Latitude Tour HP's are

Options, suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by aah78 : 10th May 2016 at 20:49. Reason: AT -> HT on request.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 18:00   #2
BHPian

Re: New Gen Scorpio tire thread

I would recommend the Yokohama Geolander AT-S, as good alternative, as I have friends who changed over from Bridgestone Duelers on their Tata Safaris to these tyres, and they have given me good reviews.

Strangely though, the size you have specified doesn't seem to be available in India on their official website. Could be available in the market anyways though, so probably worth looking for.

Link: http://www.yokohama-india.com/product/geolandar-at-s/

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 18:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

XUV-500 also comes with the same size, and I had got Pirelli Scorpion ATR on my XUV few months back. They are superior than OE Bridgestone in every aspect, they are quieter, grippier and more silent. The squealing noise in the corners when pushed hard is gone now. Yet to take it off road but being A/T I am expecting them to be better.

These tires were recommended to me by BHPian roy_libran. He has these on his new Scorpio 4wd, he frequently takes his Scorpio to OTRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I would recommend the Yokohama Geolander AT-S, as good alternative, as I have friends who changed over from Bridgestone Duelers on their Tata Safaris to these tyres, and they have given me good reviews.
This thread is specific to new Scorpio which comes with 235/65R17 tires, and Yokohama Geolander AT-S are not available in this size. By the way, there are too many negative reports on these tires on internet, mostly relating to weak sidewalls.

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th May 2016 at 18:08.
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 20:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The new gen Scorpio even in 4WD format comes in with Bridgestone Duelers AT tires.
Hi Sheel, I think that is a typo, you meant Dueler HT tyres.
The pattern of the 16" Dueler HT type 689 was better than the 17" Dueler (forgotten the pattern number, is it 685 II? ) in terms of off-roading. The 689 pattern was OEM on Scorpio, Thar and Safari Storme.

Currently there are very few options of AT tyres in 17" size.
BlackPearl is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 09:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Options, suggestions?
Apterra A/T

ContiCrossContact™ UHP However, this doesn't seem to be an A/T tyre.

Ceat Czar and MRF Wanderers are not available in 235/65R17.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 09:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Apterra A/T

ContiCrossContact™ UHP However, this doesn't seem to be an A/T tyre.

Ceat Czar and MRF Wanderers are not available in 235/65R17.

Cheers,
Vikram
I am not sure of how Apollos would fare for on the road usage. Any first hand experience which someone can share? And they degenerate a lot fast & do get hard as well.

It would have been great had Continentals been available in the size for Cross Contact AT's. Would have gone for them, eyes closed.

As of now Pirelli seems like the only option and maybe something from Hankook.
Old 11th May 2016, 09:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As of now Pirelli seems like the only option and maybe something from Hankook.
Goodyear has an A/T in that size too.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 23:19   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: All-Terrain Tyres for the new-gen Mahindra Scorpio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I had got Pirelli Scorpion ATR
Excellent choice, have heard many positive first-hand reports on these. Go for the Pirelli, Sheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Yokohama Geolander AT-S
Delicious tyres. Competent on & off the road. Sucks that the Yokohamas aren't available for the Scorpio. They're the best rubber my Jeep has ever worn. If you drive an SUV with this tyre available for it, pick it up with your eyes shut.

GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 07:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maxxis has an AT tyre in that size, I've seen it fitted to some SUVs in Delhi. In fact, there is a set on sale on our very own Tbhp classifieds

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...7-AT-771.html/
predatorwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 12:33   #10
BHPian

I suggest you go for the Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA . Currently it is being offered with an unconditional warranty (2 year or 50% of remaining tread life, whichever is earlier) . And a manufacturing defects warranty for the remaining 3 years ( Total of 5 years)
Attached Thumbnails
All-Terrain Tyres for the new-gen Mahindra Scorpio?-goodyear_wrangler-sa.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 12:43   #11
Team-BHP Support

Are you going to places where sidewall can get damaged? If so go for Scorpion or Continental cross contact A/T(if available).

Yoko in heavier cars suffers from sidewall tear issue. For light weight vehicles its more or less fine.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 22:12   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
XUV-500 also comes with the same size, and I had got Pirelli Scorpion ATR on my XUV few months back. They are superior than OE Bridgestone in every aspect, they are quieter, grippier and more silent.
Could you determine the sidewall strength or any inputs from roy_libran. Been hearing they are prone to punctures as well. I did send him a PM few weeks back, but he is yet to get back, as with another BHPian using it. I did ask them to share their experience on the forum, but..

Could you please share few pictures?

Quote:
By the way, there are too many negative reports on these tires on internet, mostly relating to weak sidewalls.
I was/am in no way getting Yokohama, especially after Sam's incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excellent choice, have heard many positive first-hand reports on these. Go for the Pirelli, Sheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Maxxis has an AT tyre in that size, I've seen it fitted to some SUVs in Delhi. In fact, there is a set on sale on our very own Tbhp classifieds
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Are you going to places where sidewall can get damaged? If so go for Scorpion or Continental cross contact A/T(if available).
Any experience of Pirelli Scorpion ATR?

I did ask Siliguri BHPians for help and member johy and rahul_kej got back.[Thanks guys ] As per the information they got, Pirelli is available in 2015 manufacturing date. The shops would take ~3 days to source it. One shop quoted a price of 12K and another at Rs. 11,200. The shop which has quoted the lower price, is suggesting to go for Maxxis. Here is the image.

All-Terrain Tyres for the new-gen Mahindra Scorpio?-622f5870199c4affac7e75689f6d2aaf.jpg

I am confused between both as going by prices, I assume, that Pirellis will be softer and Maxxis harder than Pirelli. BTW, Maxxis are quoted at 8K per tire. I am *not* looking to save $$$ especially as far as tire/s go. I have also asked a shop keeper to see if a Michelin Cross maybe imported.

My usage is highways, of all kinds, car would seldom be loaded to gills. Divider jumping [have to do this on frequent basis] and mostly on hard ground and mud/slush. Don't think will tackle rocks unless forced to.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 22:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

^ My car spends a lot of time on no-roads, I have had a single puncture till date. OE Duelers were much more puncture prone, but never ever I had to replace a tire on the road(except for the lone incident in Zanskar valley).
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 08:42   #14
BHPian

I think you have got your answer. Your heart was inclined towards Pirelli and after going through this thread I will suggest you the same.

It seems Pirelli is an all rounder. Less noisy, good grip in both road and no road condition. I don't think you do much of rocky terrain or areas where you can damage the sidewalls, nor you will be doing hard core off roading. Even if the tyres are 2015 manufactured I don't feel that's much of an issue.

Go for Pirellis.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 11:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sheel - First, apologies! I intended to pick up the action you requested of me, then deferred it, and eventually forgot all about it.

My position on the Pirellis remains almost the same.
- They perform quite decently off-road, especially through slush.
- On road, they are quiet, track and brake well. I have not detected any tendency towards hydroplaning at sensible speeds. Very comfortable ride on these tires.
- I have had one puncture till date, and that was mainly due to me getting sloppy with checking tire pressures timely. I think this is par for the course.
- The tires seem to be holding up well, with no appreciable tread wear.

Now for the almost: I am beginning to feel that the tires are giving up under hard acceleration on good dry road surfaces. This was certainly not the case earlier, and I haven't lost any significant tread depth yet, for this effect to be evident so soon. It has happened twice or thrice so far, and I can't yet confirm whether this is an issue or not. I will confirm back on this, over time and extended use.

Overall - I am more happy with these tires, than with the vehicle.

Last edited by roy_libran : 13th May 2016 at 11:10.
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed