Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2009, 15:13   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _abhishek View Post
In Indian roads, having a low profile is just a style statement. I dont think it serves any purpose other than making grabbing attention and making people say wow.

A low profile do come with better handling. On the other side the ride quality will be hard. So is it worth spending so much on low profile tires for an expensive car and driving it with the bumpy ride quality compared to the autos or local buses?

How much more grip do we require on road? Stock tires provide optimum performance. For an upgrade, one level higher than stock tire is preferred. The grip provided by low profile is required when we are constantly doing 160-180+ on highways, which is seriously not recommended on our roads.
low profile tires with high rims do give a better look & character to the car, low profile tires affect the handling from speeds above 80kmhs not 160 or 180, try it urself , it will also give you better cornering cause of less sidewall flex, the bmws in india come with low profile tires like their cousins in other countries, thats cause they have a standard around the world, if one sits in a bmw u will notice its not as smooth as even an accord but it will drive like its on rails to put it simple low profile tires are more for the performance oriented & car enthusiast
cheers..

Last edited by Berj79 : 25th October 2009 at 15:14.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
Dude, I guess you have got "Yokohama S-drive tires 205/55/R15" on your Swift.
Dil Pe Mat Le!!

You are bang on target bro
I didnt do much of a research before going for these. But once i got the tires on my car, i realized there are other factors to consider other than looks of the tire.

I had another option of 16" alloys with 40 profile. Now I am happy i didnt go for this set.

Anyways, 205/55/15 is not a bad option either . Apart from rough ride on dirty roads there are no issues with this yet.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:24   #18
BANNED

Let me add my tuppence worth. As correctly pointed out tubeless and low profile is comparing apples to oranges. I think most low profile tyres are tubeless.

Just remember that tube technology survives in India and maybe a few other countries. The world is Tubeless, and the argument is dead. Even int he early 1970's when I was a student in the UK one talked of tubed tyres only in the context of 'wire wheels' since these were often not sealed to hold the air.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks