Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2020, 19:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Increasing Tyre Sidewall : For A Cushy Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
you’re good to go with 165/80 R14.
Another thing to look into would be getting a good pair of shocks & struts which assist ride quality.
Thanks Bud, that was motivating. I did consider looking for different struts but I believe aftermarket setups are usually for sporty intentions and not comfort orientation.
What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Have you checked the air pressures?
Done that a lot brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
4) Safety issues: In case of a moose test like situation, chances of rollover are higher.
5) Just like point 1, braking power also decreases.
These raise some concern brother. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention. Are you sure that the braking could be majorly hampered and rollover too?

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 19th October 2020 at 20:02.
Old 19th October 2020, 20:47   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
What do you think?

Are you sure that the braking could be majorly hampered and rollover too?
I agree, though in your case (i10), a soft sidewall could work way better than changing anything else.

Braking & handling will NOT be affected at city speeds. On the highway, absolutely, but in the city, nah!
Old 10th November 2020, 20:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post

The harsh ride quality at front of this car has been the concern since Day 1 and the front seats were terrible too. I got them swapped for Verna 2011-2016’s seats which have eased matters by 50%. (Will post a separate thread with photos)

The car has given me BACK PAIN along with our driver and now my dad too. Due to personal reasons, Lateral Upgrade is not on the list so we have to live with it. Also, tried a couple of other Grand i10 CRDi’s which felt equally stiff for my liking.
I'm seeing your posts in various threads and I feel really bad that you haven't got a proper solution till date. Have you shown the car to any reputable FNG? I find it so hard that the suspension is stiff. Personally, I feel that the Grand i10 suspension is quite comfortable and hardly sporty. Yes, my brother has one and I regularly drive it.

Please get the suspension checked from a reputable FNG because Hyundai service centre guys maybe incompetent.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 21:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I have started looking for new tyres actively. One of the dealers near my place suggested 165/70 R14 instead of stock size 165/65 R14. the increase in diameter comes to 3.9%. I am weary of that as the recommended variation in diameter is 2% as per some posts I have read here. Any suggestions?

Also while looking at prices on tyremarket.com, I found 165/70 R14 to be cheaper than 165/65R14 by around Rs 600-1000 across all brands. Why is there such a significant difference?

Currently I am in 2 minds over Bridgestone & Yokohama. Suggestions between the 2 also will be great. Thanks!
Old 17th February 2021, 13:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I have started looking for new tyres actively. One of the dealers near my place suggested 165/70 R14 instead of stock size 165/65 R14. the increase in diameter comes to 3.9%. I am weary of that as the recommended variation in diameter is 2% as per some posts I have read here. Any suggestions?
Did you change your tyres yet? I am also looking for new tyres for my 6 year old Xcent with ODO at 36K Km. When I checked with a local dealer for the stock tyre size of 165/65 R14, he suggested the same 165/70 R14 spec tyre, which is now the size of new Aura.

He also told that the Yokohama Earth-1 is INR 4,300 for 165/65, however only INR 3,300 for 165/70. So I am planning to go with the 165/70 R14 configuration and will update you once it is done.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 18:12   #51
BHPian

Went ahead and fitted the 165/70 R14 Yokohama Earth-1 today in my Xcent. Each tyre costed INR 3,300 and the total bill was 13,500 including 300 for Wheel Balancing, please note that alignment was done free of cost. Since this tyre has a bigger sidewall, can feel the increase in Ground Clearance, the normally underbody scraping potholes and speedbreakers near my home was tackled without any scraping today .

Also, feel the steering has been little stiffer than earlier, but however can only confirm when I can took it to highways. For now, my observations are only based on the 3 Km ride back home from the dealer, mostly in the pot-holed roads near my locality. Also, need to check on the ride quality, tyre noise and braking capability due to the tyre change only during the weekend when I may take it to the highways.

Please note this tyre is rated 81T, meaning it is rated for more weight than speed when compared to the stock tyres' 79H rating, however those speeds are illegal and I barely touch 3/5th of that.

Stock (79H): Rated for 437 Kg and speed of 210 Kmph
New (81T): Rated for 462 Kg and speed of 190 Kmph

The Stock 165/65 R14 Yokohama cost 4,300 each, meaning the new configuration saved me a total of 4,000.

Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-xcent_new_tyre.jpg

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 17th February 2021 at 18:15.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 09:25   #52
BHPian

Have recently upgraded to yokohama earth 1, 175/65/14 and loving the experience. High speed stability has increased along with braking. Car feels way more stable in sharp turns and braking. Also upgraded to lighter alloys and car also feels a bit more responsive off the line.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 10:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Have recently upgraded to yokohama earth 1, 175/65/14 and loving the experience. High speed stability has increased along with braking. Car feels way more stable in sharp turns and braking. Also upgraded to lighter alloys and car also feels a bit more responsive off the line.
That's nice. I have also upgraded to 175/65/14 and happy with it.

Did you also change the spare tyre? Or the stock 165/65/14 is good enough for emergency use like 15-20 kms?
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:04   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
That's nice. I have also upgraded to 175/65/14 and happy with it.

Did you also change the spare tyre? Or the stock 165/65/14 is good enough for emergency use like 15-20 kms?
I have not changed the emergency tire as its a steel rim. Kept the one that was in best condition.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 11:47   #55
BHPian

My Grand i10 is a 2016 AT done ~42,500 kms on its first set of tires, In Jan of this this year I self drove for the first time to Goa and realized the car is fantastic I will keep it for another 3 years. My gripe was the tires and I was tired of them, regular punctures, spongy ride, scraping the speed-breakers (and I had the old Figo).

Last straw was in March, just before Holi, 5 punctures on the front left tyre on the weekend trip near Bombay, had to drive back on a 155/65/14.

I was going to buy the 165/65/14, my tyre upgrade n the Figo was a poor experience, only when i went back to the stock tires did i enjoy that car again. And then I saw this post. Did a bit of research and figured the 5mm will not harm the car's setup, as the new Grand i10 NIOS is the same car, also its prudent to save money in these times, the 165/65/14 was almost 1500 more per tyre.

Spoke to Trevor @ Straight Line. He is the best. (Link (Wheel Balancing & Alignment : Straight Line (Santacruz W, Mumbai))) Ordered the Bridgestone 165/70/14.

It's now ~45 days and 1500 kms, the car feels like a brand new car. All these days I felt like I was wearing rubber slippers in a 400m race and now I got proper shoes.

Thanks JPCoolGuy, your post was timely, saved me money and got me better GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Went ahead and fitted the 165/70 R14 Yokohama Earth-1 today in my Xcent. Each tyre costed INR 3,300 and the total bill was 13,500 including 300 for Wheel Balancing, please note that alignment was done free of cost. Since this tyre has a bigger sidewall, can feel the increase in Ground Clearance, the normally underbody scraping potholes and speedbreakers near my home was tackled without any scraping today .

The Stock 165/65 R14 Yokohama cost 4,300 each, meaning the new configuration saved me a total of 4,000.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 26th April 2021 at 11:47. Reason: final post
neofromcapone is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 12:14   #56
BHPian

A couple of months back, upgraded the stock goodyear tires of my grand i10 after 37K on the odo. I was Procrastinating the upgrade for a long time mainly due to the import restriction but a half inch sidewall crack forced me to finally go for it. I was looking for a continental but to my surprise Tyre Empire HSR Layout said they will be able to procure the XM2+ 185/60/14. So gladly went ahead with that one.
Took a long trip from Bangalore to Kolkata after running about 100km locally. The immediate improvement seen was the reduction of noise especially on the concrete section of the highway. Couldn't feel much difference in grip in the stop and go Bangalore traffic but it was much better at highway speed.
bong_voyager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 14:23   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I upgraded to Yokohoma Earth 1 - 185/60/R15.
How is it going? Any issues with sidewall rubbing or wheel wells scraping under load?
Old 10th July 2021, 14:23   #58
BHPian

I own a 2016 Grand i10 Asta(O). The running in more than 5 years is around 30K Kms. It's a secondary car. The car is mostly run in the city & has seen very rare highway drives.

The car came with stock Goodyear tyres on Diamond cut alloy rims.
The last service was done in December 2020 at HASS Shuban Sai Hyundai, Sarita Vihar, Delhi (wouldn't recommend to anyone).

Around Feb-March 2021, the car started wobbling a bit.
I initially thought that it might be due to low tyre pressure in the tyres.
Then I noticed that BOTH the rear tyres used to deflate to around 11-15 PSI by themselves within a week.
How was it possible that both the rear tyres deflated themselves simultaneously along with the car starting wobbling?
So my initial thought was that maybe the Service Centre had used my car as donor car and had swapped the tyres or maybe messed/swapped the suspension or something else.
Like I said, this is a secondary car and is used rarely.
Somebody suggested that wobbling might be due to messed up wheel balancing & alignment.

Went to the Indian Oil pump station at Chanakyapuri, Delhi (in front of DLF Chanakya Mall).
There is an old experienced guy called Dada who does wheel balancing & alignment.
While we were there, he was working on a Mercedes and behind us was a Ferrari waiting in line. So that was a positive sign, plus he was recommended by my Dad who used to avail his services more than 20 years back too.

Showed him the car.
Was told that both the Grand's front stock tyres had bent due to which the car was wobbling.
Asked him how did it happen and he said that he can't give exact reasons for same.
My guess is due to frequent lockdowns & being a secondary car, the car was stationary due to which the tyres gave in.
He said that Goodyear as well as JK tyres both have this problem.
He also said that he has no problem in doing wheel balancing & alignment but the wobbling will remain.
It would only be money wastage. The only concrete solution is changing both the front tyres.
As for low PSI in both rear tyres, both had punctures.
As per him, both front tyres need replacement.
Both the rear stock tyres & spare tyre are ok.

Till December 2020, the spare tyre had never been used and was in OEM condition.
It has only been used 2 times and that too only in 2021.

Now my question is, should I change both the front tyres or not.
Bridgestone India website suggests only 165/65/14 tyres whereas Michelin India website suggests both 165/65/14 and 185/60/14.
But Michelin tyres are hard to come buy & are rarely in stock nowadays.
Or can I go with any other size/brand?
If I should change, should I buy the upsized tyres 185/60/14 or stick with the current size 165/65/14 since I intend to keep both the rear & spare tyres?
Can I mix & use different sized tyres?

Kindly suggest.

Last edited by g_goyal2000 : 10th July 2021 at 14:50. Reason: Clarified, removed unnecessary details
Old 10th July 2021, 14:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_goyal2000 View Post
Around Feb-March 2021, the car started wobbling a bit.
I initially thought that it might be due to low tyre pressure in the tyres.

Now my question is, should I change both the front tyres or not.
If I should change, should I buy the upsized tyres 185/60/14 or stick with the current size 165/65/14 since I intend to keep both the rear & spare tyres?
Can I mix & use different sized tyres?

Kindly suggest.
My SX4 had stock JK Vectra tyres, which served me well for 67,000 km and did not give any problems. But during last few thousand kilometres, they made my car wobble. So if the tyres are nearing the end of life, do not hesitate to change.

Since the rear tyres have completed 5 years, better to change all four. As you may be already aware, tyres have a life irrespective of how much they have run. But if really needed, you can use them for another 1 year.

It is better to stick to stock size, especially if you aren't changing the rear tyres. This will help you with tyre rotation in future. For city errands, 165/65 is good enough for Grand i10.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 10th July 2021 at 14:43.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 14:46   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
My SX4 had stock JK Vectra tyres, which served me well for 67,000 km and did not give any problems. But during last few thousand kilometres, they made my car wobble. So if the tyres are nearing the end of life, do not hesitate to change.

Since the rear tyres have completed 5 years, better to change all four. As you may be already aware, tyres have a life irrespective of how much they have run. But if really needed, you can use them for another 1 year.

It is better to stick to stock size, especially if you aren't changing the rear tyres. This will help you with tyre rotation in future. For city errands, 165/65 is good enough for Grand i10.
Thanks for your prompt reply & suggestion.
The treads are still there in rear tyres but not much in front tyres which need replacement.
However, there are visible cracks due to ageing & exposure to weather in all 4 tyres.
If I do change all 4 tyres, should I stick with stock size or upsize?
If upsize, then which one since there are many sizes mentioned in the thread.
Kindly also suggest the brands. I am more inclined towards Michelin/Bridgestone subject to availability.
Thanks.

Last edited by g_goyal2000 : 10th July 2021 at 14:54. Reason: Clarified

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks