Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2016, 12:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bridgestone launches Firestone tyre brand in India

Bridgestone India Pvt. Ltd. has introduced the Firestone tyre brand in the country. Under the Firestone brand, Bridgestone has launched two new tyres: the Firestone FR500 for the passenger car segment, and the Destination LE02 for the SUV segment.

The Firestone FR500 will be available in 24 sizes, ranging from 12-inch to 16-inch rim diameters. On the other hand, the Destination LE02 SUV tyres will be available in three sizes, with 15-inch and 16-inch rim diameters. The tyres will be manufactured locally at the company's production plants in Kheda, Indore and Chakan, Pune.

Firestone's global portfolio includes tyres for a wide range of segments, including passenger cars, commercial vehicles, agricultural equipment, off-the-road vehicles, and heavy duty needs. The Firestone brand was acquired by Bridgestone in 1988.

Bridgestone launches Firestone tyre brand in India-unnamed-2.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 29th August 2016 at 12:14.
dZired is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 12:50   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bridgestone launches Firestone tyre brand in India

The brand definitely has a cool name! If anyone is wondering, Firestone will be placed below Bridgestone. Think of it like Renault-Datsun positioning in the world of tyres.

Quote:
The value-seeker buyer wants a dependable brand which also satisfies the basic performance metrics — durability, safety. We think Firestone is the answer to that.
Source

Good thing for Firestone that not many Indians know about their biggest scandal - Link 1 & Link 2.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 15:52   #3
BHPian

I think the title should say "relaunched"

Some may know that Firestone was in india since independence until 1988 (IIRC) when it got acquired by Bridgestone and closed shops in india.. My father used to work for Firestone India in the sales, he does have very fond memories of that job

Last edited by smekad : 30th August 2016 at 15:55. Reason: fixing a typo
smekad is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 16:42   #4
BHPian

Is firestone the same brand that had a lot of tyre burst issues with Ford Explorer's in USA?
Surely won't be seeing these on a new Endeavour!
Old 31st August 2016, 17:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Firestone placed lower than Bridgestone in the product hierarchy. Oh well, I guess they're going to be high mileage long lasting tyres similar to MRF/Ceat/JK.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 11:10   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Two interesting points from this article:

Quote:
This move is targeted at better penetration in the rural markets
Quote:
Firestone brand is priced at an average 10 percent cut from the Bridgestone range of tyres.
Old 1st June 2017, 09:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Firestone Tyres in India

Just got to know from an advertisement in the forum that Firestone has arrived in India, nice to have another affordable brand in tyres but I was a bit amused since I known that Bridgestone (Burijisuton Kabushiki-Gaisha) has been the owner of Firestone for ages now and Bridgestone has been in India since forever.

They seem to have only one line of tyres now, the FR500 which they claim has :
- Wide shoulder grooves (square profile I suppose)
- Double ply sidewall (in India this is very much a necessity)
- Block shape (clueless on this one)
- Winding grooves for better aquaplaning

Seems to be a line that has been released exclusively to take on the overly successful Yokohama Earth-1's because when I checked the tyre sizes available they seem to have almost every size to fit every car from the basic of basic level 800's (145 section) to Xylo (205 section).

Seems like Bridgestone hasn't gotten as successful in penetrating the market the way Yoko has and this might be their way to do so, let this thread be for those buying and/or wishing to know more about Firestone FR500 tyre since it promises everything from longevity to comfort (personally I have my reservations on comfort).

Firestone India
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 09:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Firestone Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Just got to know from an advertisement in the forum that Firestone has arrived in India,
This is an old story. Team Bhp covered this in another thread almost a year ago.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st June 2017 at 13:40. Reason: Thanks. Threads merged!
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:12   #9
BHPian

One of the dealer in vashi made a offer of Rs6500 for 235/70/R16.
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess what the Jeep Compass comes equipped with Firestone A/T tyres, what a co-incidence

Last edited by karan561 : 22nd June 2017 at 12:39.
Old 26th June 2017, 12:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen the new Firestone tyres and they arent impressive and personally do not live up to the hype.

The rubber compound is on the harder side and there is nothing special about the tyres. It is a sad case of a big corporation using an old famous brand on some generic stuff.

I hope smart people on TBHP dont succumb to nostalgia and marketing and buy this stuff.

In this price range, the Yokohamas are far better and dont make you feel like a second class citizen!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 12:49   #12
BANNED

I can quite imagine. Firestone is an old brand (historic) while Bridgestone may be relatively unknown to many. However, I will prefer the Bridgestone label.
Old 26th June 2017, 14:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

I recall my dad's Lambretta scooter(side-car model) had Firestone tyres. This vehicle required four tyres-(front, back, side-car and stepney). This was in the late 80s, after which we sold it off in the early 90s. Was surprised to see that Firestone is launching again in India. Do we really have a market for lower quality, lower priced tyres? These may be a better choice than the cheap Chinese brands I think.

Link from another TBHP post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...y-reviews.html

Last edited by hrman : 26th June 2017 at 14:31.
Old 26th June 2017, 15:15   #14
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot of vintage cars have Firestone tyres. The 1937 RR Phantom III from the Poonawalla garage in Pune is one example. A silver Jaguar XK120 from Pune/Mumbai also has Firestone tyres. I have seen a few more classic cars with Firestone tyres, can't recollect the models now.

Were Firestone tyres easily available in India before Bridgestone introduced the brand here last year?
Old 28th June 2017, 09:51   #15
BHPian

Hi guys. My dad just got the Firestone FR500 175/65 R15 in our Honda City Diesel for Rs. 4750/- a piece. What do you think about the price?

As far as visual or touch feedback is concerned, the tyres seem alright, a little on the softer side though. Good looking tires, rubber feels grippy (maybe due to the felt softness) but raises a question regarding tire mileage. I am yet to drive after the change to have an accurate opinion so I'll wait before coming to conclusions. Meanwhile, any others have any kind of feedback regarding these.
Positives, Negatives. I couldnt go along for the tire change, but I think Bridgestone is aggressively trying to push the brand as our trusty old tire shop guy from whom we've been buying tires for over 10 years now, sold the Firestone to my Dad saying its a more premium brand and conveniently led him to believe its a different company, & not a brand by Bridgestone. OTOH, when I had visited him a month back, when the tire change was being planned in my mind, he told me Firestone is a higher placed brand by Bridgestone & upon asking why then the tires are cheaper, he said its a temporary promotional pricing to push the product into the market. Eventually they'll be priced higher.

Have any of you fellows had any experience with these? Grip? Tire life?

PS: if it makes any difference, only the front tires have been changed. the rear tires (Bridgestone B250) still have a good tread remaining. The front 2 tires were mainly changed due to major punctures in one and a sidewall tear in the other after jumping over a stone incident. And yeah, seeing as the rears are the Bridgestone B250's, is there any better or inferior between these and the Firestones?

Last edited by Racer911 : 28th June 2017 at 09:58.

Most Viewed