Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2004, 15:50   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys,
yesterday i purchased a can of Tyre shine for my car. Though I have dashboard polish which can be used on tyres, i dont use it cos the Qualis tyres need a lot of it. The tyre foam costs around 100 bucks and gives a decent shine that lasts for almost a week. It can be used amlost 30 times. This time the guy didnt have a foam. So he gave me a spray. After scrubbing the tyres and washing the car, i sprayed the stuff on the tyres. And believe me or not, it gave a good shine. But the smell of the stuff somehow put me off. Its smelled like some insecticide. The can has a white paper cover on which "Tyre Shine" is written in red.

So i just peeled off the cover and guess what I found inside. HIT mosquito and cockroach repellent. I took the can to a 2 medical stores to check the contents. One said that the content is HIT and the other said it is not pure HIT. I also showed it to many other shops and they said it cud be insecticide mixed with kerosene.

So guys when u buy a local tyre shine or polish which is just wrapped with pper pls spray and check the contents.

Anyways now my tyres are shinin. And now cockroaches will remain away from my car. So my CD changer is safe. *
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2004, 16:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ April 11 2004,14:20)]Anyways now my tyres are shinin. And now cockroaches will remain away from my car. So my CD changer is safe. *
HAHAHAHAHAAH LOL
solved that problem good! ;-]

The fact is that anything(oily/waxy/greasy) will put a shine on the tire, the question is just how long will it last!

cya
Rehaan
Old 11th April 2004, 18:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

hahahahahahaha

insecticide as a tyre shine !!!!!

v12 pal, get a patent on that so no one steals this idea

we could do roaring business maan !!!!

but seriously , we should check the bottles atleast , what we are buying. NEXT TIME I WILL MAKE DOUBLY SURE !!!

cheers
Old 11th April 2004, 21:05   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

V12,

I dont really suggest continuing using that stuff, as it is a very strong chemical and you dont know how it is going to react with the rubber sidewalls of your tyres. I hope that it has not caused any damage, but I am not one to use anything for an unintended purpose...especially on my cars.

But its really hard to believe how far scrupulous Indian dealers will go to make that extra buck! Also which is the foam for a 100 bucks? I would love to know, my current cost = 300 bucks!

GTO
Old 11th April 2004, 22:23   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Also which is the foam for a 100 bucks?
Its called SKIBA. Local made. Made in Irla. Gives a good shine. But i guess it isnt available now.

P.S. I wudnt be surprised if that[SKIBA] was shaving cream.
Old 12th April 2004, 07:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

looks like should stick to reputed ones, used to buy a local polish, kinda looks like the cherry blossom shoe polish in white, gives an ok shine

hey what abt the liquid shoe polish, ie the cheery blosson or the kiwi ones i tried it on once, it shines like hell and stays for a month!!!!!
what do u guys think abt this idea?
!!!!!!! (psatent pending!)
Old 12th April 2004, 11:31   #7
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]hey what abt the liquid shoe polish
!!!!!!! (psatent pending!)
Hey aadix, i've already used liquid shoe polish. U wont believe it but i've used each and every thing that gives a shine on tyres. I've used :
Kiwi Shoe Polish
Colin spray
local polish [kinda looks like the cherry blossom shoe polish...black color ]
Brake oil [gives a good shine]
Insecticide [lol.....lol]

Disadvantages:
Kiwi Shoe Polish, brake oil, local polish make the sidewalls very sticky. So dust sticks on it very easily. And he shine goes away in a few [2 or 3] washes.
Colin Spray does not give a shine.
Insecticide gives a good shine and also keeps cockroaches away. But it cud be harmful for the tyre.
Old 12th April 2004, 13:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hey V12,

as you must know brake oil can eat through paint, thats why u gotta be careful not to drip it around, so i cant imagine how good it is for tires! ;-]

Also believe it or not brake oil is used to cure wounds!... once at a garage i cut a finger pretty deep and it was promptly dipped in the brake oil reservoir of an open hooded esteem. Works pretty well i must say.... doctors reccomend GTX - more protection they say.

Cheers
Rehaan.

PS - im just kidding abt the GTX being the best brand..... and only try this at your own risk!
Rehaan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2004, 13:19   #9
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

ya u gotta be very careful while applying brake oil. but i guess its good for the tyres. lotsa showrooms use brake oil for tyres.
Old 12th April 2004, 13:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

Lots of showrooms do lots of stupid things as well

R
Old 12th April 2004, 13:59   #11
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Old 12th April 2004, 18:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

hey v12
these days local industries recycle a lot, couldnt it really be tyre polish in a recycled uncleaned can of hit, therby giving u the smell of hit???
Old 13th April 2004, 07:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

AAdix,

even if that was the case its highly unlikely the local INDUSTRIES would be recycling it. More like the LOCALS!

cya
R
Old 12th May 2004, 13:50   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ April 11 2004,14:20)]After scrubbing the tyres and washing the car, i sprayed the stuff on the tyres. And believe me or not, it gave a good shine. But the smell of the stuff somehow put me off. Its smelled like some insecticide. The can has a white paper cover on which "Tyre Shine" is written in red.
V12.
Use nothing on your tyre. Only on Sunday (probably you get some time) wash and scrub the s**t of your tyre with normal detergent. A bar soap like Rin or such. Wash the tyres clean.
Mix 60 ml of glycerine in a mug of water and apply them evenly on the side wall with cotton waste. Any left over, put them on the tread also. Don't drive for few hours. Let it settle in and dry.
Result? Rubbers will stay soft as new (well almost). Maximum depth in black. You'll never get it so cheap. It is harmless.
Got the tip from Dunlop R&D guys long back when It was a respected company and we used to be the ad agency.
Rudra.
Option #2: Use STP's Son of a Gun.
Rudra Sen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2004, 00:49   #15
BHPian

Hey guys this is the most simple way to polish your tyres and it only costs around 10 bucks ya its shoe polish after you put on the wheel rub the cloth lightly on the tyre it shines and water proof water just slides off try it it wont cause any problems and get back with reponse
Team Fiat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks