Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2004, 14:02   #1
BHPian

Helo guyzz....

i am plannin to change my tyres in the accent gtx tornado...it has the bridgestone potenza which are the best in tat seg.....was wonderin shud i go fer another brand ..which is better...and suits the needs of the car like abs and FE and stuff.. i dun wanna go fer mags

Plzz help if i shud change the brand or keep the same
Old 14th June 2004, 14:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi CD,

Well actually chances are that you aldready have alloy wheels on your car!

It would be wise to go for tubeless tires, especially if you do a lot of high speed travelling

I am a big fan of michelin (and dont really like bridgestones since they are designed more to last marginally longer than provide the best traction).
Check out the certis if you like a good comfort/performance blend.
And the Pilot sport if you want ultra performance.
Also Goodyear eagle F1s are a favourite in the ultra performance segment.

Give us a better idea of what you are looking for and then we will be able to give you a better idea of whats best.

cya
Rehaan
Old 14th June 2004, 16:31   #3
BHPian

Thnx Rehaan...

Actually i do a little bit of high speed drivin ..but we might not be using the accent to go out of mumbai coz we will get the honda accord in sometime..........i guess FE will b a priority...and also the tyres which give me performance...as in braking and stuff.. wad i am lookin fer is a comfortable drive in thru the infamous mumbai potholes....do u think michelin wud b a good choice or is it the tubless thing let me knoe...hey ya and i was wonderin will the tyres make a difference wid the abs thing....

thnx buddy
Old 14th June 2004, 17:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hey again CD,

Well if you are concerned about FE (fuel economy) then the factor of a tire that decides that is the rolling resistance, also the weight, but since you are not going in for an upsize (wider tires) these factors are negligable. Your choice of tires in the same size shouldnt noticeably affect FE. However keeping your tire pressure at the right level will help your car to "roll" easier, hence providing less resistance and therefore less fuel used.

It seems you want the comfort/performance balance which would be the certis in my opinion. They are tubeless. They are quiet, comfortable and have great traction and roadholding.
The tires should improve your cars braking (since i am assuming that they have better traction than the bridgestones), but other than that they will not "affect" you ABS system in any (bad) way.

cya
R

ps - check out International tires at matthew road (opera house). Honest & knowledgeable.

Old 14th June 2004, 17:43   #5
BHPian

ok... tats nice thnx a lot ... i guess will use certis

do u have the contact no. of this guy at opera house..ya and wad will the cost per tire as in jus an estimate so tat i have an idea of it.. plzz provide with the no. thnx rehaan ..

ps:dun mind my stupid queries regardin abs i jus think too much at times ..thnx ne wayz
Old 14th June 2004, 18:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey,

I have PMd the #s to you.
The price.....my guess is around 3k per tire?

Theres no better way to think than to think to much man!
If for example you had a couple of different sized tires on your car it would make the ABS system think that one wheel was spinning faster than the other (since it was smaller) *and therefore apply more braking pressure to it. This could obviously cause problems!

With a new set of tires the only issue is that the speedo indication might change a bit...but since you will be going in for the same sized tires its not an issue once again.

cya
R

Old 14th June 2004, 18:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

just my 2 cents....

A friend of mine moved from the OE Bridgestones (GPS) on his Siena to the Certis (my recomendation) and now calls me up everytime he fills his tank to curse the hell outa me saying that his mileage has dropped by almost 10% since he put these on.

I find that hard to believe, but he says the tyre pressures are correct and the alignment is fine too, so the only other variable is the tyre itself.

Rtech
Old 14th June 2004, 19:01   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hey Rtech,

thats interesting.
10% is a huge drop...i dount that is entirely due to the tires?
I wonder what the weight difference between the OE bridgestones + tube and the certis of the same size is.
The certis is softer rubber and im might have a slightly higher rolling resistance (a tradeoff for better traction i guess).
Id still pick the certis over the OE bridgestones even if they caused a 10% drop in milage.

However, tell us the full story, what does your friend think of the certis in comparison to the Bs, in terms of handling/ride/braking/cornering/treadware/comfort ?

cya
R
Old 14th June 2004, 19:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]However, tell us the full story, what does your friend think of the certis in comparison to the Bs, in terms of handling/ride/braking/cornering/treadware/comfort ?
Well, firstly, this guy is not a petrol head, so his idea of performance is quite different from ours *He's most pissed about the mileage drop, but, I did manage to drag a few complements outa him like his ride has improved a lot in comparision to the tubed tyres. Handling too has improved, this I can vouch for myself after bouncing his car off the limiter going around a few corners. Can't say anyting on the treadware as they are jsut a few months old so far.

The Certis is definately softer than the OE's. You can see that in the way the sidewall bulges out when running standard pressures. This is most probably the reason for his drop in mileage. However, his figures of 10% may be taken with a handful of salt!!!

Rtech

Old 14th June 2004, 19:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

make sure ur overall circumference does not change more than 5mm i.e. +5mm or -5mm as otherwise ur speedo reading cud change and so also the odometer readings.
that is why maybe because of incorrect readings on the odo,people say that their FE has dropped.

Old 14th June 2004, 19:40   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (speedsatya @ June 14 2004,17:52)]that is why maybe because of incorrect readings on the odo,people say that their FE has dropped.
Great point!....

Infact yknow even two tires that are specified as the same size ie 175/70R13 for example made by different manufacturers will have different ACTUAL diameters (specified in mm by the manufacturer if im not mistaken).
Howeve 10% is still large for this type of an error, but as rtech said...to be taken with a pinch of salt!

cya
R
Old 14th June 2004, 23:52   #12
BHPian

tats intrestin now... soo ppl certis is still better rite?? or shud i change ma mind... i can afford a little drop in mileage ...provided i get awesome performance as rehaan said.. ne wayz plkzz keep me updated ..
Old 15th June 2004, 00:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

whatever u do ,keep in mind that you dont go overboard .
that is make sure that the new wider tire does not foul with any body part when loaded i.e with 2 people in the rear.
also check if the front tire touches any body part when on full lock.u can check this by putting ur finger between the inner side of the tire to see if it touches.
and go for tubeless tires and check if the rim size goes with ur tires.

satya.
Old 15th June 2004, 00:45   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (cheatingdeath @ June 14 2004,22:22)]soo ppl certis is still better rite??
Indeed!

Speedsatya, i dont think cheatingdeath is planning on upsizing his tires...so no need to worry about that... right cd?

cya
R
Old 15th June 2004, 01:50   #15
BHPian

Purrfect Rehaan no upsizin ..jus the normal thing wid a difference ne wayz i appriciate speeds intrest and concern ... really nice.. u guyz r really considerate thnx a lot lot ...team

Most Viewed