Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2006, 07:13   #16
JRD
BHPian

hey wind..
i hope im not too late to suggest.. but 185/60 r14 eagle venturas.. will improve handling and brake dramatically.. plus its just 10 sections wider than the stock..

later
JRD.
Old 25th December 2006, 10:27   #17
BHPian

Problems after upgrade.

Early this month upgraded to Aura alloys and Turanza 175/65 R14. Handling of the car and the ride has vastly improved after the upgrade.

Now I would come to the downside of things. Late last week, I had three rear seat passengers. I was going close to 40 Km/hr on an uneven road and all of a sudden I could hear a sound coming from the rear right tyre. I believe the tyre was touching the rear wheel well or something else. The noise was not continuous (lasted a few seconds) and it disappeared as soon as the road improved.

Since I had a routine service appointment with the local GM dealer, I had asked him to check the noise and I was told that the noise was from a loose muffler. I was also told that the suspension was becoming weak and I may have to replace it shortly.

Since the noise seems to be coming from the rear right side only, I am suspecting a suspension issue. I have driven through some really bad roads over the last three years and I am not surprised about it.

Can anyone suggest a good workshop in Bangalore to check this aspect? I do not have much faith in the GM dealer.

Thanks..
Old 29th December 2006, 17:24   #18
sAP
BHPian

Wind, is your problem solved? Any updates you'd like to post here?

sAP
Old 6th January 2007, 17:05   #19
BHPian

Went to Ranjith Auto Care in Koramangala. The diagnosis is that the inside metal covering of the rear tyre skirting is in contact with the tyre side wall when the car is fully loaded.

They pointed out the scratches in the sidewall as a proof.

They have suggested cutting the metal piece and trimming the skirting a bit so that it doesn’t mess with the tyres. I am planning to do that next Saturday.

Wind
Old 7th January 2007, 15:57   #20
sAP
BHPian

Back to the community

Wind: So you were right about the tires rubbing against the wheel well! Thanks for posting the resolution/ diagnosis. Its what we can all contribute back to this car-loving community.

sAP
Old 14th January 2007, 22:14   #21
BHPian

Went to RAC, Koramangala on Saturday. Met Sanjay there and he adviced flaring the real wheel arches by half an inch . Did that; Hopefully this will settle the issue forever.

Wind
Old 22nd January 2007, 10:27   #22

Wind: How is your car doing after the work in RAC?

I have a Swing and just changed to Aura 14" alloys with Bridgestone Potenza GIII - 185/60/R14. Sure enough with three people in the back, first humb it made the noise. Tyre is scratching against the outer sidewall. What you mean by flaring?

Thanks
Sreeku
Old 22nd January 2007, 11:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

185/60 is the wrong upsize for the Swift. You should have gone in for 185/60 or 195/60. As for the rubbing check the offset of your alloys.
Old 22nd January 2007, 12:31   #24
sAP
BHPian

185/60R14 IS the right upsize for the Corsa (Swing/SAIL/Sedan). Iraghava, you seem to have mistook the Swing for a Swift?

sAP
Old 22nd January 2007, 13:02   #25

It is a Corsa Swing. Upsize is either 175/70/R14 or 185/60/R14. Stock is 175/75/R13. Can you rub the alloys to offset?
Old 22nd January 2007, 13:13   #26
sAP
BHPian

Pedders uprated rear springs Recommended

I just upgraded my Corsa SAIL's rear springs with a Pedders 7201 coil set. These are heavy duty springs that exactly match the Corsa sold in India (The Indian Corsa is sold as a 99 Holden Barina SB in Australia). It simply removes the retarded squatting typical of the Corsa's stock rear springs and tauts up the handling.

No cutting, tweaking required to install these springs. Just swap them, which is essentially a 10 minute job. The 7201's are double conical springs just like the original Corsa's but are uprated, enhanced over original manufacturer spec and work great with the standard shocks.

I did an *extensive* test drive yesterday and found out how much difference a set of uprated springs make to a car (and I have only replaced the rear springs)! No harshness is noticable.

You can order it directly at Electra Automotive Phone: 044-24926894/1 (Krupesh Patel) in Chennai or through Speedworks dealers speedworks-dealers in other places. Costs about Rs.3600 per piece.

What I have installed is the 7201 heavy duty rear spring set. Click this link for the full Pedders part list for the Indian Corsa: Pedders Suspension

Recommended.

sAP
Old 26th January 2007, 13:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeku View Post
Wind: How is your car doing after the work in RAC?

I have a Swing and just changed to Aura 14" alloys with Bridgestone Potenza GIII - 185/60/R14. Sure enough with three people in the back, first humb it made the noise. Tyre is scratching against the outer sidewall. What you mean by flaring?

Thanks
Sreeku
Flaring is the process by which the real wheel well is expanded in order to fit larger wheels/tyres.

Wind.
Old 27th January 2007, 17:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP View Post
It simply removes the retarded squatting typical of the Corsa's stock rear springs and tauts up the handling.
What you exactly mean by squatting?? The only problem i had, was body roll in the rear, when i make sudden lane switch on high ways. The passengers in rear experience more force than the one in front seats...

Have you put up any review of these springs???
Old 28th January 2007, 15:11   #29
sAP
BHPian

If you seat 3 adults at the rear, you will notice that the height of the car is reduced significantly at the rear -- thats the retarded squat I'm talking about. Though this is common with several cars, on the Corsa this is a little too profound and sometimes causes wide alloy wheels or tires to foul against the rear fender.

sAP
PS: No additional reviews have been made.
Old 30th January 2007, 11:20   #30

Because of the problem in Corsa Sap illustrated, Car Shringar (& also Opel service centre), where I fitted the Alloys and new tyres, suggested putting 1" spacer at the rear. Do you know if it is a good thing to do. Where do you suggest to get it done in Bangalore? They don't do it at Opel Service Centre.

Most Viewed