Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2017, 15:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta ZX dumps 17" wheels for 16". UPDATE: Back to 17"

Didn't the same company go public with the Govt's policy flip flop around diesel vehicles.

Now its their turn to go flip flop with vehicle specs..

Last edited by narayan : 13th September 2017 at 15:07.
Old 13th September 2017, 15:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Stiffer sidewalls means there would be some impact on the ride quality of the Crysta which has been one of its USPs.

I also see that that the 215/55 R17 tyres retail for 13k+ per piece (discounted price on Amazon). Prices are similar for XUV and Hexa tyres, which was a topic of discussion on the Hexa thread before its launch.
Old 14th September 2017, 08:38   #33
BHPian

I wonder what happens to those people who bought the top trim and got 16 inch tyres which, according to the article are suffering from excessive wear/damage.

Will Toyota replace those customer wheels and tyres with 17's? Will they receive a financial compensation?

Toyota seems to be confused about their approach which does not bode well for their brand image.
Old 14th September 2017, 11:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Dealer says "17 inch alloys again with improved suspension"

Toyota Innova Crysta ZX dumps 17" wheels for 16". UPDATE: Back to 17"-img20170913wa0002.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ZX dumps 17" wheels for 16". UPDATE: Back to 17"-img20170913wa0005.jpg

Improved suspension??
samaspire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 01:03   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Dealer says "17 inch alloys again with improved suspension"

Attachment 1676068

Attachment 1676069

Improved suspension??
Any updates on this from the people who have bought the Crysta ZX in last couple of months? We're planning to buy in a few days, and we were told the ZX will now get 17 inchers and not 16. Toyota have supposedly tuned the suspension so that the ride quality will not be compromised. But when I questioned the salesperson whether this will solve the problem of tyres bursting, as the tyre profile has remained the same as before, he wasn't sure what to say. I am confused whether to stick with what the company is offering and be guinea pigs for Toyota, or opt for 16 inchers.
rajasRTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 07:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajasRTR View Post
Toyota have supposedly tuned the suspension so that the ride quality will not be compromised. But when I questioned the salesperson whether this will solve the problem of tyres bursting, as the tyre profile has remained the same as before, he wasn't sure what to say. I am confused whether to stick with what the company is offering and be guinea pigs for Toyota, or opt for 16 inchers.
I went for touring sport which comes with 17". And I've already faced my first side wall tear within 2500 KMs.

Out of the show room, the tyre is filled with a bone jarring 45 psi of pressure. And this is not just for me. Many others reported the same pressure. Every single undulation on the road is felt inside the cabin. I'm curious as to whether Toyota is experimenting with a higher air pressure at the cost of comfort. I brought it down to 33 psi on all tyres ( recommended tyre pressure as written on the doors ) and within 2 days, my side wall is gone when it hit a small debris.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta ZX dumps 17" wheels for 16". UPDATE: Back to 17"-20180101_063153.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta ZX dumps 17" wheels for 16". UPDATE: Back to 17"-20180101_063242.jpg  

amalji is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 10:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I went for touring sport which comes with 17". And I've already faced my first side wall tear within 2500 KMs.

Out of the show room, the tyre is filled with a bone jarring 45 psi of pressure. And this is not just for me. Many others reported the same pressure. Every single undulation on the road is felt inside the cabin. I'm curious as to whether Toyota is experimenting with a higher air pressure at the cost of comfort. I brought it down to 33 psi on all tyres ( recommended tyre pressure as written on the doors ) and within 2 days, my side wall is gone when it hit a small debris.
What is the manufacturing month of your car?

I took the delivery of my ZX 2.8 a few days back. It's December 2017 manufactured and comes with 17".
Even I was apprehensive about the 17", but spoke with a Toyota engineer and he convinced me that they have solved the problem of air bubbles forming, which further lead to tyre bursting. Also they have tuned the suspension for the 17" now in the ZX so ride quality won't be compromised. This new setup is being used since September and they haven't come across any issues. I chose to believe him.

Same in my case, the tyre pressure out of the showroom was 44-45 psi! Brought it down to 33 with nitrogen within couple of days and the ride quality has massively improved since. But your experience worries me now and I should keep an eye out for any such damages.
rajasRTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 11:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the manufacturing month of your car?
December 2017

Quote:
Same in my case, the tyre pressure out of the showroom was 44-45 psi! Brought it down to 33 with nitrogen within couple of days and the ride quality has massively improved since. But your experience worries me now and I should keep an eye out for any such damages.
So, it seems that's the agenda. Increase the tyre pressure to 45 and above ( and do that during every 5k service ) and hide the actual problem at the cost of comfort. You get to feel every single undulation on the road, when the tyre pressure is 45 psi!

Last edited by amalji : 4th January 2018 at 11:27.
Old 4th January 2018, 14:37   #39

So, it seems that's the agenda. Increase the tyre pressure to 45 and above ( and do that during every 5k service ) and hide the actual problem at the cost of comfort. You get to feel every single undulation on the road, when the tyre pressure is 45 psi![/quote]

I don't understand how increasing the tyre pressure would serve their purpose of hiding the problem. Can you please enlighten me?
Old 4th January 2018, 15:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand how increasing the tyre pressure would serve their purpose of hiding the problem. Can you please enlighten me?
Increasing the pressure ensures that the it's difficult to pinch the sidewall between the road and the alloys. Hence, the chances of sidewall cut is very minimal. But, the side effect is that you will get a bouncy ride.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 16:17   #41
BHPian

Most car tyres (all brands) are filled up to 40+ psi from factory and when delivered by the showroom. I dont remember why, although the reason is mentioned in the forum somewhere. The PDI list has a point to check the tyre pressure first thing during the first fill up and to bring it down to the recommended pressure.
toiingg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 16:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Sorry to hear; why is it cars at delivery come with hyperinflated tyres: my Honda City came with 40 psi which was brought down to 32 psi and there was a drastic improvement in ride quality. I hope your rims aren't damaged?
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 17:07   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Sorry to hear; why is it cars at delivery come with hyperinflated tyres: my Honda City came with 40 psi which was brought down to 32 psi and there was a drastic improvement in ride quality. I hope your rims aren't damaged?
It's a standard practice followed to protect tyres, when cars are going to be standing in stockyards for long periods. Basically over inflating the tyre will prevent it from deforming at the contact point. Standard procedure also mandates the dealers to check pressures and bring it to optimum figures before delivery. Factories usually follow guidelines diligently, dealers don't!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 4th January 2018 at 17:12. Reason: Typo
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 21:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
It's a standard practice followed to protect tyres, when cars are going to be standing in stockyards for long periods. Basically over inflating the tyre will prevent it from deforming at the contact point. Standard procedure also mandates the dealers to check pressures and bring it to optimum figures before delivery. Factories usually follow guidelines diligently, dealers don't!
Did Bridgestone updated their tyres for Innova Crysta I see 225 instead of 215

You have Selected : TOYOTA / New Innova

Standard Size : 225/55 R17 94V
motorheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 09:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheart View Post
Did Bridgestone updated their tyres for Innova Crysta I see 225 instead of 215

You have Selected : TOYOTA / New Innova

Standard Size : 225/55 R17 94V
Interesting! Toyota website still displays the old size 215/55 r17. Maybe, Bridgestone got fed up with the complaints on 215/55.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed