Team-BHP - Toyota Innova Crysta ZX dumps 17" wheels for 16". UPDATE: Back to 17"
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Toyota Innova Crysta ZX dumps 17" wheels for 16". UPDATE: Back to 17" (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/183612-toyota-innova-crysta-zx-dumps-17-wheels-16-update-back-17-a.html)

Official! Toyota Innova Crysta ZX dumps 17" wheels for 16"

Thank you to Team-BHP fan Sachin Saxena for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

Toyota has officially dumped the 17-inch alloys from the Innova Crysta's top-end ZX variant. Instead, the MPV now comes with 16-inch wheels across the model range. We had earlier reported that the automaker is planning to implement this change on all models manufactured in 2017. The company has now updated the Innova's official website, which shows 16-inch wheels on all variants.

The Innova Crysta's ZX variant used to earlier come with 17-inch alloys, shod with 215/55 tyres. These large wheels and low profile tyres weren't a practical option, especially in the comfort-oriented MPV segment. Though the larger alloys looked good visually, they ruined the MPV's ride quality, something that was pointed out in our official review as well.

Toyota seems to have taken customer feedback seriously as the Innova Crysta ZX now comes with modest 205/65 tyres, wrapped around 16-inch wheels. The smaller wheels will not only improve the ride quality of the top end variant, but will also be cheaper to replace. Moreover, since the side wall on the tyres will be taller, the wheels will be less prone to damage.

Toyota Innova Crysta ZX dumps 17" wheels for 16". UPDATE: Back to 17"-capture.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

What will happen to the existing top trim owners? Will they get any offer to opt for 16" rims?

These buyers would essentially be private owners and not fleets; comfort is something which would be paramount for them.

Toyota must consider replacement option for them at minimal financial obligation.

Cheers!

Excellent move :thumbs up. This shows Toyota's proactive nature. Most manufacturers would just stick with the spec they offered at launch, but Toyota took note of customer complaints and switched to the more practical rim size.

Car brands should really think twice before cut-copying-pasting from international trends. Big rims & short tyre profiles are swell in countries where the roads are smooth as a table. For India however, I hate this trend. When I tested the Innova Crysta, my exact comments were:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3998901)
215/55 tyres on 17" rims which wear a neutral design. Lower variants have 205/65 R16 shoes (check out the 16" rim design in Sankar\'s post). Both are a step up from the older Innova & its 15" rims. While the 17" size looks really neat, personally, I'd prefer 15 or 16 inch wheels on an MPV. Reason = taller sidewall = superior ride quality + wheel is less prone to damage on broken roads.

Now, the Hexa comes with 19" rims :Shockked:. Crazy, stupid decision. Owners are forced to make compromises:

- Firmer ride
- Tyres & wheels are more prone to damage
- Expensive tyre replacement costs every 30,000 - 40,000 km
- Higher unsprung weight (metal weighs more than rubber)
- Tendency to tramline

Other than looks, there is no other advantage. But as is obvious, the cons far outweigh the pros.

Sensible move, considering lots of their customers are cabbies who clock enough kms to justify changing tyres once a year. I'd guess it's a straight saving of at least 3-4k per tyre.

Of course, more choices in alloy wheel designs (for those who don't like the OE one) is the icing on the cake :)

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 4133114)
Sensible move, considering lots of their customers are cabbies who clock enough kms to justify changing tyres once a year.

Cabbies don't buy the ZX variant with 17" rims :). Nevertheless, this move greatly benefits individual owners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i74js (Post 4132557)
What will happen to the existing top trim owners? Will they get any offer to opt for 16" rims?

Toyota must consider replacement option for them at minimal financial obligation.

I doubt they will. First the buyers were well informed about what they were buying. Second it is not exactly some critical component and can be easily ignored in the cars already sold with those wheels. Third it amounts to more money for Toyota as many of these buyers might opt for the lower spec wheels now. Lastly Toyota would be confident of one thing that the buyers of this particular model are not really cash strapped to begin with lol:.

Though i welcome this move but i think if the OE tyres would have been 225/55 R17 it would have performed better than 215/55 R17 and all these problems wouldn't have arisen.

WHY THEY USED 215/55 R17 ?

Simple !

Because the Camry uses the SAME SIZE hence they would have thought lets get the best deal from the supplier again by playing the 'volume' card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4133095)
Other than looks, there is no other advantage.

Larger wheels will give better road-holding, and possibly shorter more controlled braking too. Though the cons still outweigh the pros in our conditions.

Here's an interesting comparo...

The tyre width is being changed, so its not JUST about the wheel size, however, 17" and 18" used the same width tyre in the test - so that's the fairest comparison:
Toyota Innova Crysta ZX dumps 17" wheels for 16". UPDATE: Back to 17"-effectsofupsizedwheelsandtirestestedchart678photo568637soriginal.jpg

Source

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 4133153)
... i think if the OE tyres would have been 225/55 R17 it would have performed better than 215/55 R17 and all these problems wouldn't have arisen.

I don't think that would have made that much of a difference, being just ~5mm of additional height.

Sound move. 17 inchers on Indian roads is just ridiculous!

Tongue firmly in cheek, this must be the first time that a change benefiting customers actually cuts costs for the manufacturer as well. I don't suppose they're passing on the benefits to the customer!

I welcome this move!

OT - Why can't Maruti consider something similar for Baleno Zeta and Alpha variants?

They can ditch the current 195/55 R16 setup and replace with 195/60 R15.

This would make the ride extremely comfortable.

I just can't manage the bone jarring ride in my Zeta CVT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noopster (Post 4133245)
Sound move. 17 inchers on Indian roads is just ridiculous!

Tongue firmly in cheek, this must be the first time that a change benefiting customers actually cuts costs for the manufacturer as well. I don't suppose they're passing on the benefits to the customer!

Hardly.

I find it strange that the Crysta ZX's buyers in 2017 aren't asking for a downward price adjustment, for a reduction in specification / feature as well as obvious cost saving to Toyota.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4133151)
Third it amounts to more money for Toyota

Quote:

this must be the first time that a change benefiting customers actually cuts costs for the manufacturer as well

Great points, never thought of that. It's a win-win for everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 4133153)
Because the Camry uses the SAME SIZE hence they would have thought lets get the best deal from the supplier again by playing the 'volume' card.

The Innova would surely have tougher tyres with a higher load rating. Plus, pretty sure that the Camry's tyres will be more expensive (performance + speed rating etc.), even in the same size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 4133229)
Larger wheels will give better road-holding, and possibly shorter more controlled braking too.

Yes, of course, and a sharper steering too. I was speaking in reference to the Innova where a difference in ride comfort will be more noticeable than any handling advantage (it's a van after all).

Quote:

Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift (Post 4133272)
I find it strange that the Crysta ZX's buyers in 2017 aren't asking for a downward price adjustment

When was the last time you saw a downward price revision on a fresh launch selling 6,000 - 8,000 a month?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4133470)

When was the last time you saw a downward price revision on a fresh launch selling 6,000 - 8,000 a month?

Not sure what to make of your comment, GTO.

It does appear that you are ok with Toyota overcharging the consumer after a feature deletion. Or at the least, discouraging consumers from asking for their due.

Quote:

this must be the first time that a change benefiting customers actually cuts costs for the manufacturer as well

Wheel downsize has happened before. Maruti had moved Zen from 13 inchers to 12, for the same reason : damaged rims.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...heels-zen.html

Any Z owners want to downsize to 16" ping me please :-D I will sacrifice my comfort for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 4133229)
Larger wheels will give better road-holding, and possibly shorter more controlled braking too. Though the cons still outweigh the pros in our conditions.

Here's an interesting comparo...

The tyre width is being changed, so its not JUST about the wheel size, however, 17" and 18" used the same width tyre in the test - so that's the fairest comparison:
Attachment 1598480

Source

Thats neat!