Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2017, 20:52   #1
BHPian

Rear tyres wearing out disproportionately

Hi All,

I have been facing an issue with the premature and uneven wearing out of low profile tyres on my Mercedes E class 220 CDI Sports.

The car came with 245/40/R 18 Continental tyres which I had replaced after anound 13k kms as the rear tyres had worn out disproportionately . Now the rear tyres have again lost tread and I have got them changed with Pirelli MO 245/40/R18 tyres.

I have repeatedly asked the service adviser to check the shockers / issue with rear load bearing of the car, but to no avail. All I get as an answer is that the car is absolutely fine.

Please see the photographs attached and guide to what could be the possible reasons for this uneven tread loss and how can I get the service set up (T&T Motors Gurgaon) to identify & rectify the same.

Any help with the same would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sid

P.S. : Mods please change the thread to any other section in case this is not the appropriate section.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear tyres wearing out disproportionately-img_1068.jpg  

Rear tyres wearing out disproportionately-img_1070.jpg  

Rear tyres wearing out disproportionately-img_1071.jpg  

Rear tyres wearing out disproportionately-img_1069.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 8th May 2017 at 11:36. Reason: Typos
sidwadia is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th May 2017, 20:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rear tyres wearing out disproportionately

Looks like alignment issue. Can you share the alignment reports (from the beginning) If the alignment report is fine, then I doubt the culprit being kinematics change (may be because of deformed suspension links)
I suggest to get the alignment checked outside A.S.S once.
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 21:17   #3
Team-BHP Support

I agree. Definitely looks like a rear wheel alignment issue. Had this issue with both Civic and Optra (at respective dealer workshops) - both of which needed 4-wheel alignment because of all independent suspension. Although wheel alignment is critical aspect of vehicle maintenance, I have noticed many service centers let juniors handle it. Many service centers just do a front wheel alignment.

Get it fixed at a reputed tyre shop, not the Mercedes workshop. Even in the future, get wheel alignment and balancing done outside.

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th May 2017 at 21:19.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 21:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It's your wheel alignment, to be precise the camber. Here I assume your car hasn't seen any physical damage to the suspension and all components are in good order

Most third party workshops do NOT adjust the rear suspension alignment. Please get 4 wheel alignment and adjustment (toe-in, caster/camber) done at MB's ASC or at a competent workshop.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 23:22   #5
BANNED

Re: Rear tyres wearing out disproportionately

Seems like a textbook case of incorrect camber. Other parameters could be incorrect too, but visibly that seems to be the main culprit.

Get it aligned at any good tyre shop that can do all 4 wheels. And if possible, take a look at your owner's manual or the internet to see the correct camber for your car and wheels and tell them at the time of alignment. And try to be there at the time the work is being done to make sure it really is. Can't believe a Merc A.S.S. could make such a big mistake.
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 19:05   #6
BHPian

Re: Rear tyres wearing out disproportionately

I've got no idea if the rear wheels on a Mercedes are adjustable but that's definitely a camber issue.

PS: if the rear suspension is independent type, then it's definitely adjustable.

next time you go to the dealers, slap that idiot hard who said there's no issue.
Racer911 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks