Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2017, 12:38   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!

The big daddy of performance tyres is now here!

Michelin have officially launched the PS4 in India in a few sizes in 17". They also say that in the future, some more sizes in 18" will be announced.

These are some pictures I took last week.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-img_4438.jpg

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-img_4439.jpg

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-img_4440.jpg

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-img_4443.jpg

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-img_4441.jpg

Traction Rating AA / Temperature Rating A
Treadwear Rating 320

These are imported from Thailand and are made in the 10th week of 2017. So, as brand new as possible.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-screen-shot-20170626-12.32.05-pm.png

I hope they also bring in more sizes for the luxury cars so that we as consumers actually have more brands to choose from!

Why am I so excited? Because this is a real sign of a company like Michelin taking the enthusiast market seriously in India. I have always waited for good tyres and with no company supporting me, I had to import Yokohama AD08Rs directly. Hoping that in the future all companies realise the value of the enthusiast market and get us some of the best tyres available in the world.

The PS4 is highly regarded internationally and seeing them in India excites me. I love tyres and when I saw these, I gleefully ran my hands and fingers all over them. They are soft and feel really sticky just the way a performance tyre should!

I am waiting for any of my friends to get this so I can give them a go! This makes me wish I was running 17" wheels so I could have installed 225/45-17 PS4 on my Civic.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 15:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!

I have always had Michelin Pilot Sport tires on my Jaguar. In the USA and now here in Europe as well.

Interestingly enough the USA version differs from the Europe version. Just before I shipped my Jaguar from the USA to the Netherlands I put four new Michelin Pilot Sports on, because they are so much cheaper in the USA.

First trip back in the Netherland I hit a nail and the tire can’t get repaired, so I have to get a new one. At the tireshop they were completely baffled. They had never seen such a tire. So they checked with Michelin and the USA and European version have very different thread!

Even so, very happy with my European Pilot Sports too! Wonder what the Indian version is like?

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 16:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

Michelin have officially launched the PS4 in India
I am kind of stoked at the news. I just hope they launch the most popular size in India, 205/55R16. This particular size fits everything from premium hatchbacks (Baleno/Elite i20 and I know its a size up, but still!) to entry level luxury offerings (A/B/CLA/A3) and a lot of others in between. I am always baffled as to why manufactures don't launch this particular tyre size in performance tyres while offering the same in other international markets.
sidhu_hs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 16:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is great news. I've gone through 2 sets of the previous generation (Pilot Sport 3) and loved them to bits. What I loved was the fact that though these were sporty, super grippy tyres, they were silent and also gave a comfy ride unlike some sporty tyres offered by competitors like GY Eagle F1, BS Potenza G III and Yoko S Drives. Low tyre life was the only cons, but there has to be some trade off for all the great attributes.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 10:08   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is my favourite tyre; have used Pilot Sports on the Civic & C220. Incredible grip, less noise & still a decent ride. Super happy to see the 245/40 R18 size being launched - that's what's going on my car at the next change.

EDIT: Thanks to sidhu_hs for correcting: The 530d's tyre size is 245/45 R18, so there go my Pilot Sports!

What's the pricing like? Has Michelin shared a price sheet?

Quote:
I love tyres and when I saw these, I gleefully ran my hands and fingers all over them. They are soft and feel really sticky just the way a performance tyre should!

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2017 at 09:35.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 10:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Nice to see the PS4 launched, that too even in sizes for smaller cars. This is definitely going to be my next tyre change on the F30. I am appalled to see even basic research like tyre sizes is wrong in their chart, I would expect a company like Michelin to do proper research. Another funny thing is for eg, the C63, they have listed only the front tyre size and mentioned C63. What does the owner do for the rear tyres which are wider?
Akshay1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 11:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
I am kind of stoked at the news. I just hope they launch the most popular size in India, 205/55R16.....I am always baffled as to why manufactures don't launch this particular tyre size in performance tyres while offering the same in other international markets.
Actually, a correct up size is available as per the chart shared. 205/50 R16 is the perfect up size for i20 and Baleno where the stock size is 195/55 R16.

205/55 R16 is a wrong size for these cars. I haven't checked the entry level luxury cars though.

It can also fit the Fiesta if I wanted 16" wheels ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
This is great news. I've gone through 2 sets of the previous generation (Pilot Sport 3) and loved them to bits....
Since you have used it for some mile munching, let me ask this. How is the side wall on Pilot Sport? Is it too soft since its a performance tyre? Or resilient like the new age Michelins - I am happy with Primacy 3ST.

Just wondering whether we have to baby the car a bit too much with these on.
Old 27th June 2017, 11:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Since you have used it for some mile munching, let me ask this. How is the side wall on Pilot Sport? Is it too soft since its a performance tyre? Or resilient like the new age Michelins - I am happy with Primacy 3ST.

Sidewall is thicker/harder on Pilot Sport as compared to Primacy with the Pilot Sports being sporty tyres. The harder/thicker sidewall provides better handling.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 14:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see that Pilot Sport series refreshed

Do note Michelin have confused hierarchy amongst its tyre range as the usage of the word sports is all over.

Also currently there are 2 different tyres going by the name Sport 4, namely;

1) Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (Which are these launched in India & replace the Pilot Sport 3)

2) Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (Which are not launched in India & they supposedly replace the Pilot Super Sports)

karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 15:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Sidewall isn't soft at all. On the contrary sidewalls are stiff to aid handling. The rubber compound used for the tread is soft so that they grip well. The soft nature of compound is what also causes faster wear. The tyre isnt delicate by any means, but I am probably not the guy to certify tyre robustness as I tend to be careful over bumps and potholes and most of my driving is on good highways.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 12:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have always had Michelin Pilot Sport tires on my Jaguar. In the USA and now here in Europe as well.

Even so, very happy with my European Pilot Sports too! Wonder what the Indian version is like?

Jeroen
I have a strong feeling ours will be a bit different from the European one as well. The Asian tyres generally are made to be a bit harder to deal with our roads. Not just India but other developing countries like Thailand, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
I am kind of stoked at the news. I just hope they launch the most popular size in India, 205/55R16. This particular size fits everything from premium hatchbacks (Baleno/Elite i20 and I know its a size up, but still!) to entry level luxury offerings (A/B/CLA/A3) and a lot of others in between. I am always baffled as to why manufactures don't launch this particular tyre size in performance tyres while offering the same in other international markets.
205/55-16 doesnt come in PS4 in India as of now. If it did, it would be absolutely fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is my favourite tyre; have used Pilot Sports on the Civic & C220. Incredible grip, less noise & still a decent ride. Super happy to see the 245/40 R18 size being launched - that's what's going on my car at the next change.

What's the pricing like? Has Michelin shared a price sheet?

Yes they have shared the prices. Prices are Karnataka including 14.5 VAT.

225/45 ZR17 - 12,205/-
225/50 ZR17 - 12,210/-
225/40 ZR 18 - 21,025/-
245/40 ZR18 - 24,050/-

In India, for some reason they are being marketed as Pilot Spot 4 ST. Trying to make it sound similar to the Primacy 3 ST. Dont know for what. The tyre itself just has Pilot Sport 4 written on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Good to see that Pilot Sport series refreshed

Do note Michelin have confused hierarchy amongst its tyre range as the usage of the word sports is all over.

1) Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (Which are these launched in India & replace the Pilot Sport 3)

2) Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (Which are not launched in India & they supposedly replace the Pilot Super Sports)

The PS3 continues alongside the PS4 in some sizes.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 13:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
225/45 ZR17 - 12,205/-
225/50 ZR17 - 12,210/-
225/40 ZR 18 - 21,025/-
245/40 ZR18 - 24,050/-
Pricing for the 18s seems high!

Are they planning to launch 19inchers?

I have been using Dunlop Sport on my w222 S-class(it rides on optional 19inch Maybach rims) but haven't been satisfied with the Dunlops. The sidewalls are quite weak.

I hope Michelin launches 245/45R19 and 275/40R19. Nikhil what other options are available in this size currently? I have always had to resort to grey market Dunlops
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 13:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I hope Michelin launches 245/45R19 and 275/40R19. Nikhil what other options are available in this size currently? I have always had to resort to grey market Dunlops
There seems to be a 245/45-19 Michelin Primacy 3ST available. Also in both the sizes you mentioned there is a variety of Pirelli sizes in the price list. Check with your local dealer for availability.

Yokohama Advan Sport also available.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 15:43   #14
bhp
BHPian

Quote:

Michelin have officially launched the PS4 in India in a few sizes in 17".
Thanks for the heads up Nikhil 👍.

These tyres aren't listed on Michelin india website yet.

I got these tyres last evening for the 320d. A change was due since past 2 months and I am happy the launch came at the right time.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498731114.242718.jpgMichelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498731133.497090.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th June 2017 at 16:21. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
bhp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 20:32   #15
BHPian

Finally. Would have gone for these instead of the Hankook S1 Evo2s for our Superb. They were available globally, but not launched in India at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

When PS4 was launched initially (Pilot Sport 4S still in pipeline), reviewers had termed it as a replacement for Pilot Super Sport itself in the smaller sizes. In EU, PS3 was categorised as an Ultra-high-performance summer tyre (UHP), one step below the Max-performance summer tyre category (to which Pilot Super Sport, now PS4 / PS4S also falls into)

Earlier, both Pilot Sport 3 and Pilot Super Sport were available in common smaller sizes also (17" & 18"). Pilot Sport 4S is available exclusively in sizes above 19" only, if I am not mistaken.
Quote:

In India, for some reason they are being marketed as Pilot Spot 4 ST. Trying to make it sound similar to the Primacy 3 ST. Dont know for what. The tyre itself just has Pilot Sport 4 written on it.
I believe the ST refers to 'Summer Tyre' variant. Earlier PS3 was also marketed as PS3 ST, it also had the ST embossed on the sidewalls. I believe there are All-season variants of the same series, but only in some markets like US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
So they checked with Michelin and the USA and European version have very different thread!

Jeroen
I believe US usually gets the all-season variant of the Pilot Sport series (and hence the different tread pattern perhaps), at least till some time ago. For Pilot Sport 3, the version in EU as well as in India was the specific Summer Tyre variant (indicated by PS3 ST on the sidewall). For performance winter tyres in EU, Michelin has Pilot Alpin 4 etc, which are more popular in EU than in the US.

Last edited by avinash_clt : 29th June 2017 at 20:56. Reason: Added info
avinash_clt is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed