Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2017, 22:29   #1
BHPian

3rd-gen Ford Endeavour : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

My Endeavour have done close to 35k kms on the stock tyres i.e 265/60/R18 MRF Wanderer AT. I already have replaced two of the tyres, first tyre was replaced when it was 10k kms on odo (the tyre simply burst because of sidewall cut when parked). The second tyre was replaced very recently as it has got a side wall puncture, even though it was repaired and holding the pressure well I felt its not safe to proceed, So replaced the tyre with a new MRF wanderer AT in same size. I never though MRF will be prone to easy side wall cuts/punctures.

I feel the tyres are noisy and already hard, So I have been looking at options for the same in either stock size or in upgrade to 285 sections tyres. When I got the Endeavour the only option available was Yokohama Geolanders (A/T), But I somehow couldn't convince myself to get them because of previous bad experiences with Yokohama tyres on different vehicles. Fortunately Toyota Fortuner also has been launched with same size of tyres as Endeavour and now the options to choose from are plenty.

My priorities are Comfort, Low noise and not too weak side-walls. Here are the few options I found out from local tyre dealer i.e Ashoka wheels, Hyderabad. I would like to hear experiences of members who are using these tyres.

1. Michelin Primacy SUV
Price quoted - Rs 17,900/- per tyre for 265/60/R18

2. Bridgestone B840 Dueler H/T
Price quoted - Rs 18,500/- per tyre for 265/60/R18

3. Pirelli Scorpion Verde
Price quoted - Rs 16,500/- per tyre for 265/60/R18

4. Yokohama Geolander AT-S
Price Quoted - Rs 15,500/- per tyre for 275/60/R18
Rs 14,500/- per tyre for 265/60/R18

5. MRF Wanderer AT
Price Quoted - Rs 12,000/- per tyre for 265/60/R18

For my requirements, I think its better to go for a HT tyre as the intended off-road usage will be minimal (less than 10%) and most of the usage will be on 4 lane roads and state highways with not so great roads. For now I am inclined towards michelin as I am totally satisfied with michelin tyres till now. However I have no idea about their performance on heavier SUV's like Endeavour and Fortuner. Waiting to hear feedback, so that I can take a well-informed decision.

PS: MRF wanderer tyres can be had for as low as Rs 10,000/- as I have seen few sets at the tyre store which have been taken off from Endeavours which came straight from showroom to the tyre store.
harsha.muvva is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 03:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: 3rd-gen Ford Endeavour : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Yokohama Geolander AT-S
Price Quoted - Rs 15,500/- per tyre for 275/60/R18
Rs 14,500/- per tyre for 265/60/R18
Go for 275 size, Yoko is OE on Land Cruiser. I am using Geolander on two Endeavours- one has done 45 K and tyres should last about same more and second 8000 Km, no complaints whatsoever.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th July 2017 at 03:56.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 10:37   #3
BHPian

Whatever you do, don't get the Bridgestones they are equally worse. We have it on our Fortuner and it's the single biggest negative point of the car.
It aquaplanes, has lesser dry grip and am starting to hear a droning sound. Might change it within a year. I have done 10,000km in 6 months.

On the other hand I am a satisfied Michelin customer. I am on my 3rd set of XM2 on my Innova. Each set has lasted 55,000-60,000km. And the wet grip is phenomenal.
dean5545 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 12:48   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 3rd-gen Ford Endeavour : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Go for 275 size
This wouldn't be my recommendation - 265/60 R18 is already a very fat tyre. 275 would be overdoing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
On the other hand I am a satisfied Michelin customer. I am on my 3rd set of XM2 on my Innova.
+1 - Big Michelin & Yokohama fan here.

@ Harsha: You can't go wrong with either the Primacy or Geolandar (the latter would be a great all-terrain choice).
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 12:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This wouldn't be my recommendation - 265/60 R18 is already a very fat tyre.
From my own experience, 275 is much comfortable, maybe due to a different tread and it also looks better, in fact in Australia some even use 285/65/18

Have a look

Picture from
https://fordforums.com.au/showpost.p...2&postcount=93
Attached Thumbnails
3rd-gen Ford Endeavour : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-screen-shot-20170707-12.50.34-pm.png  

Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 17:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Whatever you do, don't get the Bridgestones they are equally worse. We have it on our Fortuner and it's the single biggest negative point of the car.
It aquaplanes, has lesser dry grip and am starting to hear a droning sound. Might change it within a year. I have done 10,000km in 6 months.
I am completely surprised to hear about that. I was under assumption that Bridgestone will be a better bet than the stock MRF tyres. Looks like they are as good/worse as the stock MRF.

Quote:
On the other hand I am a satisfied Michelin customer. I am on my 3rd set of XM2 on my Innova. Each set has lasted 55,000-60,000km. And the wet grip is phenomenal.
We have used used 5 sets of michelin XM2/MVX series tyres over a period of 8 years and collective mileage of approximately 4 lakh kilometres on two Innovas. Never had any complaints and the ride was excellent when compared to the stock Bridgestone tyres innova came with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This wouldn't be my recommendation - 265/60 R18 is already a very fat tyre. 275 would be overdoing it.

@ Harsha: You can't go wrong with either the Primacy or Geolandar (the latter would be a great all-terrain choice).
Only thing stopping me opt for geolanders is my bad experience with Yokohama tyres in general. I have used their ES100, S-Drives and A-drives on honda city & i20. Three of them became very noisy especially in the second half of their life and I have experienced side wall cuts/tyre bursts of 5 tyres . I became a happy man only after shifting to michelin primacy and Pirelli tyres on sedans. I have heard of similar experiences among my friends circle who use Yokohamas.

However I understand that the 'Geolanders' are pretty popular and has good very good reviews amongst the users. So I am confused whether I should try my luck with the Geolanders or go for michelin/pirelli.
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 16:04   #7
BHPian

I have had a great experience with S drive on my i20, I have used 2 sets for 40k kms each and have had only 2 minor punctures - all within 3 years. Agreed it is noisy, but simply amazing in terms of grip on both wet and dry, and never slip on curves even at high speeds.

I myself am in the market for new tyres for Endy, so all your reviews are priceless.
Old 12th July 2017, 19:47   #8
BANNED

I feel up sizing a little will enhance the looks of Endeavour. The wheel arches are quite big and their is a lot of room for a bigger Tyre. Hope it will not effect the fuel economy.
Tony_Stark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 10:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

There are talks of Continental coming up with Cross Contact AT in this size. This info was passed on by my tire dealer who had also hinted about Cross Contact AT for XUV & 17 inch Scorpio size which has been launched as per him.

Though I don't see them officially but I do see the Wranglers available in this size abroad as are Pirelli Scorpion ATR's. BF Goodrich doesn't have its presence in India, so it may take time to come, but I believe if there is a demand, GoodYear or Pirelli may come up with their AT in this size for India.

I drive a friend's 3.2 Ford and feel the need to let go off the horrible MRF's. We may zero in on the Yokohama because of lack of options but would love if GoodYear or Continental come up with their AT's.
Old 16th January 2018, 17:19   #10
BHPian

OP (Harsh), What tyres did you finally put on? How about a short review, especially about the comfort / low noise that you were seeking? Were you able to improve upon the stocks?
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 18:23   #11
BHPian

Harsh, Can you please update on your tyre purchase for Endeavour?
Old 7th July 2018, 01:54   #12
BHPian

I just got in a new Ford Endeavour 3.2. Changed the stock tyres to Michelin Primacy SUV
265/60/R18 ; The tyre guy kept on pushing me for the oversized tyres in the same brand. I have not yet felt any ride difference. One thing is share that the air pressure beyond 30 PSI makes the ride a little bumpy.
Old 21st October 2018, 12:10   #13

Go in for Yokohama Geolander. Keep the stock size. Yoko tyres are excellent for SUVs and best suited for Indian Roads. I havent experienced better ride quality and wet performance on any other tyres ever.
Old 5th February 2019, 20:37   #14
BHPian

Another sidewall cut in the hopeless Wanderers, this is my second sidewall damage. Not going for the tyre upgrade at the time of purchase was my biggest mistake

I am planning to get rid off these tyres soon and believe that the Yokohama Geolandars are the best possible upgrade as they are available in all the sizes and that too in A/T. I am not able to decide on the size though, getting an itch to upsize to 275 or 285 section.

Which of these sizes will be a better fit? Feedback/reviews from the existing users will be really helpful.

3rd-gen Ford Endeavour : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-tyrw.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 5th February 2019 at 20:53. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
daf23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 20:13   #15

Looking at Endeavour as a possible purchase, one thing on the mod list is a tyre and wheel upgrade. I’m looking at either 19 or 20” rims, any suggestions? Looking at black machined or black alloys to go with the diffused silver colour. Also tyres to go with it. Really like the 20” alloys that are offered abroad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks