Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 18:31   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

Few days back my Safari developed puncture in tubeless tyre in steel rim (Rear Left). Pressure going down to 16 - 18 PSI in a week. I went to Tyre Empire in Whitefield, Bangalore and they inspected and found one screw pierced into tyre and pressure was leaking.

They repaired puncture using "Mushroom Puncture" technique. It is mushroom type of rubber sticker. Hope this puncture works in long run.
Old 18th November 2011, 12:24   #152
BHPian

I had changed the tubed tyres on my seven year old Palio to tubeless tyres (on rims) around an year back. There have been a couple of occassions when we found the tyres were totally flat, usually after we woke up in morning.

Now this time, there was no puncture - it seems that the tyre had left the rim because of low pressure. The mechanic tried his best but the rim was slighly bent at couple of places and it just wouldn't stick. Tried three tyre shops and ended up buying the tubes for the same tyres.
Old 18th November 2011, 12:34   #153
BHPian

I changed to tubeless on both my 2005 Zen with Apollo. I showed signs on leak on one wheel, but turned out to be a faulty neck and not to do with the rims :-)
Old 18th November 2011, 14:37   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
They repaired puncture using "Mushroom Puncture" technique. It is mushroom type of rubber sticker. Hope this puncture works in long run.
Mushroom is what Michelin recommends as being the best.
Old 19th March 2012, 10:43   #155
BHPian

I dont know if I am in the right thread....My Chevy Spark tyres are due for a replacement. I had hit a major pothole last monsoon and the rear rim bent with the impact. The local tyre guy hammered it straight ...

My Question: Should I consider changing the steel rims before upgrading the tyres? Or should I just change the tyres and not bother about the rims?

The car has done 43000+ kms and still going strong !!!. Valuable suggestions appreciated. Please quote this post as I will get a notification to read it.
Old 19th March 2012, 12:05   #156
BANNED

@VikrantD; I would not bother. If your rims are in a decent shape, then at most tyre tyre shop will have to straighten the rims, for which all the better ones have the equipment.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 10:09   #157
BHPian

My 4 yr old Indica Xeta with 31K on the odo needs a tyre replacement. My current stock rims are not in best shape according to me. I am not sure if there is rust on the inside.

Suggestion Required :

Option 1 : New Steel Rims with Tubeless .

Concorde Motors in Chennai is quoting Rs 780 per rim. If Changing to a new rims will give me peace of mind I am willing to spend that extra money

Option 2 : Straighten and Repaint the existing rims and move to tubeless

Option 3 : Continue with existing rims and replace with Tubed Tyres

P.S: Alloys are out of my budget now.
Old 30th March 2012, 10:18   #158
Senior - BHPian

Option 1 is best but it costs money
Option 2 is what I had done but I didn't have optio 1 available for my Matiz
Option 3 is cheapest but you will have disadvantages of tubed tyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
My 4 yr old Indica Xeta with 31K on the odo needs a tyre replacement. My current stock rims are not in best shape according to me. I am not sure if there is rust on the inside.

Suggestion Required :

Concorde Motors in Chennai is quoting Rs 780 per rim. If Changing to a new rims will give me peace of mind I am willing to spend that extra money

goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 17:03   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I am not sure if there is rust on the inside.
The rust could be superficial. Try unmounting the tyre from the rim and get the rim cleaned using a steel brush and then probably apply one or two coats of anti-rust primer to it (the tyre repair shop should be able to do this).

Whatever happens (i.e. new rims or old ones) try and go tubeless.
Old 30th March 2012, 20:34   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The rust could be superficial. Try unmounting the tyre from the rim and get the rim cleaned using a steel brush and then probably apply one or two coats of anti-rust primer to it (the tyre repair shop should be able to do this).

Whatever happens (i.e. new rims or old ones) try and go tubeless.
Spoke with few tyre dealers in Chennai . Couple of them have steel rims. Raja Tyres of Chennai told he has heavy duty steel rims which is Rs100 more than OEM rims. He will check the existing rims and if required only new rims can be bought.
Any idea on what these heavy duty rims mean ?
Old 31st March 2012, 12:51   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. I have only heard of the steel rims and the alloys, the steel ones being the heavier ones. Please note, the rims shouldn't be heavier than the OE spec, because that too can cause problems. They could put some undue strain on your suspension and steering components, leading to premature wear and tear. Try and stick to OE specifications or alloys, but go to a repuated or trusted shop.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 13:01   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Nope. I have only heard of the steel rims and the alloys, the steel ones being the heavier ones. Please note, the rims shouldn't be heavier than the OE spec, because that too can cause problems. They could put some undue strain on your suspension and steering components, leading to premature wear and tear. Try and stick to OE specifications or alloys, but go to a repuated or trusted shop.
I was told that the New Indica eV2 rims are stronger than Xeta rims and dealer is trying to arrange for it. Let me see that first and then take a decision.

Also am delaying my tyre replacement by a week since XM2 has been launched for other sizes and dealer delivery is supposed to happen over the next few days.
Old 31st March 2012, 13:18   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Suggestion Required :

Option 3 should not be considered at all. It is just not worth it. A tubed tyre is especially a risk when you are driving long distances, especially at any kind of speed.

Option 2 is cheaper than option 1, especially if the rims don't need too much work. Have a trusted mechanic or tyre guy look at it. They will need to remove the rust and then put anti rust primer or paint on the tyre. Be careful that it is only surface rust. If it is quite a lot of rust it may be better to invest in new rims, especially if you intend to keep the car for a few more years.

Quote:
Spoke with few tyre dealers in Chennai . Couple of them have steel rims. Raja Tyres of Chennai told he has heavy duty steel rims which is Rs100 more than OEM rims. He will check the existing rims and if required only new rims can be bought.
Am guessing it means a rim with a thicker gauge of steel. Please check how heavy the rims are as the heavier a rim is, the more beefed up the suspension and steering components need to be to handle it well. A small weight differential should not matter but a large one will.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 00:23   #164
BHPian

Thanks for all your suggestions. I went ahead with OE rims costing Rs 750 with XM1+

What a drastic improvement in handling. Yet to figure out the other benfits.
Old 8th October 2012, 12:58   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpower View Post
I had changed the tubed tyres on my seven year old Palio to tubeless tyres (on rims) around an year back. There have been a couple of occassions when we found the tyres were totally flat, usually after we woke up in morning.

Now this time, there was no puncture - it seems that the tyre had left the rim because of low pressure. The mechanic tried his best but the rim was slighly bent at couple of places and it just wouldn't stick. Tried three tyre shops and ended up buying the tubes for the same tyres.
I am facing a similar problem . I purchased JK Tornado tubeless and got them fitted on the existing steel rims of my Wagon R, but been facing similar issues. Is it really possible to have tubes inside the tubeless tyres and live peacefully? (my OEM tubed MRFs lasted 47k / 5 years with just 3 punctures). And if so, do I need to perform alignment / balancing again?

Most Viewed