Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 14:22   #166
BANNED

Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Is it really possible to have tubes inside the tubeless tyres and live peacefully? (my OEM tubed MRFs lasted 47k / 5 years with just 3 punctures). And if so, do I need to perform alignment / balancing again?
Yes. Of course you will have to get the wheel balanced again.
Old 8th October 2012, 14:28   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions. I went ahead with OE rims costing Rs 750 with XM1+

What a drastic improvement in handling. Yet to figure out the other benfits.

I am planning to change my XETA tyres this month. My tyres have run only 16750kms in 6.5 years with no punctures (touch wood).

Initially I was planning to replace them with the same S322 tyres, but after reading your post, I too want to go with XM1. I am not sure about the rusting on the rims since the tyres have never been opened.

Considering the rims are in good shape, do you advice putting on XM1 on the same rims? Please share your feedback from last 5-6 months of usage.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:05   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
I am planning to change my XETA tyres this month. My tyres have run only 16750kms in 6.5 years with no punctures (touch wood).

Initially I was planning to replace them with the same S322 tyres, but after reading your post, I too want to go with XM1. I am not sure about the rusting on the rims since the tyres have never been opened.

Considering the rims are in good shape, do you advice putting on XM1 on the same rims? Please share your feedback from last 5-6 months of usage.

Hi,

Advice is to go for new rims. Cost only Rs 750 per rim. It is worth the cost. So far I have clocked around 5K kms (1K in highways)in my new set . No puncture. No rim bend, etc. Also I fill Nitrogen at 32psi. I refill only once a month. Driving experience has improved a lot after this change.

You might want to try XM2 which was launched 5-6 months back.

Regards
Old 8th October 2012, 15:21   #169
BHPian

^^ Thanks buddy!

1. Did you change all 5 tyres or just the 4?
2. Will I get anything for my old tyres?
Old 9th October 2012, 05:34   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
I am facing a similar problem . I purchased JK Tornado tubeless and got them fitted on the existing steel rims of my Wagon R, but been facing similar issues. Is it really possible to have tubes inside the tubeless tyres and live peacefully? (my OEM tubed MRFs lasted 47k / 5 years with just 3 punctures). And if so, do I need to perform alignment / balancing again?
Yes its possible to have tubes inside. The tyre shop should be able to do this..they get lot of such requests I think.

I didn't have further flatout problems after that. I did do the wheel balancing/alignment after that.
Old 9th October 2012, 06:53   #171
BHPian

Thanks sg sir and greatpower for your inputs. I wish I had consulted this thread before going to the shop the first time!

The tyrewala indeed got a number of such situations and as per them, inserting a tube was the foolproof solution. He even showed me an example of a ceat tyre (for xylo/sumo, don't remember the profile) which had a tubeless specification, yet came with a tube as a standard package!

Regards,
Aroop
Old 9th October 2012, 07:37   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000
^^ Thanks buddy!

1. Did you change all 5 tyres or just the 4?
2. Will I get anything for my old tyres?
I changed only 4 tyres. The best tyre of the existing lot was left on old rim as a spare tyre.

I got Rs 500 for 4 old rims. My tyres were pretty bad to earn anything. Yoy can try few hundreds depending on the condition.
Old 25th November 2012, 10:23   #173
BHPian

This thread was an eye opener for me when I was in a dilemma to have tubleless tyres on my steel rims. Decided to change the OE tyres (JK Tyre Tornado which has done 22K) in my WagonR to Michelin XM2. Due to budget constraints, postponed the Alloy wheels upgrade for a couple of months.
Old 29th November 2012, 22:48   #174
BHPian

Quote:
I changed only 4 tyres. The best tyre of the existing lot was left on old rim as a spare tyre.

I got Rs 500 for 4 old rims. My tyres were pretty bad to earn anything. Yoy can try few hundreds depending on the condition.
When I was enquiring to change my OE tyres which has done 22k, the dealer suggested to have all 5 tyres changed. Though this may be a marketing pitch, I too feel thats a good option when we rotate the tyres.

Anyways whats your take on that?
Old 30th November 2012, 11:00   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
When I was enquiring to change my OE tyres which has done 22k, the dealer suggested to have all 5 tyres changed. Though this may be a marketing pitch, I too feel thats a good option when we rotate the tyres.

Anyways whats your take on that?
Chris, changing 4 tyres should be enough unless u have an extended budget. My dealer never pressurized me to change the 5th tyre. Though all my tyres were bad , he took the best of the bunch and put it as a spare tyre.
Old 30th November 2012, 12:30   #176
BHPian

I finally changed 4 tyres to Ceat Milaze. Catalog price is 3017 which the dealer gave for 2950. Also got 600 refund on old tyres + free balancing and fitting.

Ceat is the only brand which gives unconditional warranty, so went with that.
Old 1st December 2012, 09:23   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Chris, changing 4 tyres should be enough unless u have an extended budget. My dealer never pressurized me to change the 5th tyre. Though all my tyres were bad , he took the best of the bunch and put it as a spare tyre.
Thanks Marlon! Point noted. Will decide on 4 or 5 when I finalize. BTW where did you get your tyres changed in Chennai?
Old 1st December 2012, 11:27   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Thanks Marlon! Point noted. Will decide on 4 or 5 when I finalize. BTW where did you get your tyres changed in Chennai?

Tyre Store , Greams Road Chennai. It is one of the best in Chennai. The review of this dealer could be found T-Bhp directory.

When you go there , tell him you are a T-Bhpian. He will give you good discounts.
Old 1st December 2012, 11:34   #179
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs Marlon! Have seen many positive reviews about Tyre Store in our forum. Will go there next weekend.
Old 21st May 2013, 14:34   #180
BHPian

Just an update: After 2.5K kms mostly in city and a few highway drives, the Energy XM2 are running great on OE rims without any issues. The handling and driving experience has increased considerably.

Most Viewed