Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2008, 10:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

Xandercage,
With such a huge difference, do make sure that you are going to an established place. The price difference should not be so huge, so it means something needs to be looked at with an open eye. Please do check before finalizing.

OT: Just across the street and you get this much of difference!!! Does this Dealer B sit on a Union Territory soil?
Old 7th April 2008, 10:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hey RKS,

Maybe yours is a one of case. I have been driving with tubeless tyres on steel rims since 7-8 years
Id like to add myself to that list. Iv gone through a set of Goodyear tubeless tires on the stock Santro rims and have been running 165/65 Michelin XM1s on the stock steel rims for the past 8 months without any issue.
Old 7th April 2008, 10:41   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd also like to add to khanak & viper's comments:

I have also been driving for around 10 months with Yoko ES100s on steel rims on my Aveo. No issues so far except weekly tyre pressure checks where I need to top up 1 or 2 psi on average on some of the tyres. Have a gadget myself so just involves taking it out of the boot and pumping up :-)
Old 7th April 2008, 10:49   #64
Senior - BHPian

same here. tubeless on stock Alto rims for the last 5k kms. Only pressure checks once in a while is all that is required.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:20   #65
BHPian

would it be safe for say performance driving or occasional sprints and on bad roads(not tared).
Old 7th April 2008, 11:30   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
would it be safe for say performance driving or occasional sprints and on bad roads(not tared).
Did not understand what you are referring to, but I guess you are asking about tubeless on steel rims. The answer is - Yes. They are safe. I have driven on tarred, mud, hill , broken roads and all such kind.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:32   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
Mumbai has some of the worst roads and I havent been overly careful over them or anything. Iv been driving normally and occasionally doing some hard driving and so far haven't faced any problem. Maybe people who have older cars may want to get the steel rims checked for rust when they are changing their tires and replace the rusted rims with new steel ones(if they don't want to spend on alloys) but people with newer cars where the steel rims arent rusted shouldnt really be worried about this.
Old 14th May 2008, 18:36   #68
BHPian

I've been running 155/70/12 tubeless on Steel Rim's on my Zen from 2003.
Later changed to 165/65/13 again tubeless on steel rim's

My bro's Wagon-R running 155/65/13 again tubeless on steel rim.

Till date no major issues.

Only point to note is to check out the "health" of the existing rims (Read rust, dent or any damages). Then again a new set of steel rims are pretty cheap 700-1400 in most small cars.

Once I hit a "Huge" pot hole driving down NH-47 around 1 am was doing close to 100km/hr in my Zen. No major fuss, I felt I had lost pressure in the left front. Pulled over and it took another 2 mins for the tyre to fully deflate. I'd say its pretty safe, rim was too damaged and the only option was to replace the rim or put tube in the "tubeless".

Once I was amazed to find 3 nails in the tubeless in my Zen.

Keep in mind the only problem was this particular tyre was loosing 6-7psi a week, so got it checked and found 2 nails in pretty good condition and 1 was rusted bad.

- Tubeless any day.
Old 31st May 2008, 22:41   #69
Senior - BHPian

Loosing air pressure

Hi!

As some of you are aware that I have recently bought 5 new Michelin XM1 tires for my zen. The problem i am facing is the rear right side tire is leaking air quickly. I got the tire and the the rim checked and both were ok. The problem was then found to be the defective valve and it was also replaced. However, after 2 weeks this problem has re surfaced again! Should I change my rim as I am suspecting that it is playing the spoil sport here as I don't think every two weeks a valve can go kaput? Is it the rust that is causing the valve damage? I am not too sure if the rim is rusted as I saw them cleaning it while they placed the new tires.

Any assistance on this regard would be appreciated. I am planning to go outstation soon and I don't want to drive in a tricky situation.

KPzen bhai, please help!

Last edited by amtak : 31st May 2008 at 22:43.
Old 31st May 2008, 23:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Amtak are your Stepney & RR wheel the same? As in Steel or Alloy? If yes, then put the stepney in RR position & then the RR wheel can be taken off & the tyre removed from it to inspect it properly. And if the valve & tyre are ok, then it should normally be the steel wheel that could either be bent or rusted.

Worst case scenario, if you're travelling out of station & problem is not solved then carry a spare tube which you can put in the tyre in case of a puncture or air loss.
Old 31st May 2008, 23:57   #71
BANNED

Surprising to hear about the leak,

My M-800 has run one complete set of tubeless on steel stock rims. never had any such trouble.

My 1967 VW Beetle runs on stock rims and with tubeless tyres, never encountered any leaks.

My Safari Dicor ltr runs on Stock rims with tubeless tyres, no incidence of leak.

And all the tyres are Bridgestones.

There might be a bit of bend on your rims which might be giving you such headaches.
Old 1st June 2008, 00:31   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Amtak are your Stepney & RR wheel the same? As in Steel or Alloy? If yes, then put the stepney in RR position & then the RR wheel can be taken off & the tyre removed from it to inspect it properly. And if the valve & tyre are ok, then it should normally be the steel wheel that could either be bent or rusted.

Worst case scenario, if you're travelling out of station & problem is not solved then carry a spare tube which you can put in the tyre in case of a puncture or air loss.
Yes, they are the same. As in stock steel rims. I have already got the tire and the rim checked. Both were ok and the problem was attributed to the faulty valve. Despite changing the valve, the problem has resurfaced. The tire pressure drops to 19-20 psi within 2-3 days of filling the air, and there's no puncture! I was actually thinking of replacing the RR tire with the stepney and use the current RR tire as a stepney. However, my fear is, in case i have a flat and the problem is not solved by then, I would have two flat tires!
Old 1st June 2008, 00:33   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Surprising to hear about the leak,

There might be a bit of bend on your rims which might be giving you such headaches.

Surprisingly, no bends! got the rim checked at Maruti as well as at Michelin. I am now thinking why did I buy tubeless tires I know they are safe, but I have to go to the air station too often now!
Old 1st June 2008, 10:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Amtak
Follow as Ishan has suggested and also get the tire checked once again from a different tire/puncture shop.
Old 1st June 2008, 10:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

Amtak, if the rim has been checked, perhaps it is the SEATING area of the valve that is causing the leak. Check around the seat for leaks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks