Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2010, 14:17   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Hi Spike, why it is technically incorrect to use a tubeless tyre on steel rim? Concern if it is true ecause, I am also using tubeless tyres ...
'Technically' wrong because steel rims are two halves welded together whereas Alloys are single-piece castings!
Steel rims CAN leak at the weld seam; not that it always happens, but the possibility exists.

Tubeless tyres are best on alloy rims for optimum performance and benefit.
Old 17th July 2010, 23:37   #122
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shyam,

It is incorrect to use a tubeless tyre on a wheel rim suited for tube type tyre and not for any steel rim as interpreted by you. The reason being the bead seat profile for tubeless and tube type rims are different.

Spike
Old 18th July 2010, 12:59   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hi Shyam,

It is incorrect to use a tubeless tyre on a wheel rim suited for tube type tyre and not for any steel rim as interpreted by you. The reason being the bead seat profile for tubeless and tube type rims are different.

Spike
Could you post self explanatory pictures of the two different profiles?
Old 19th July 2010, 11:59   #124
BANNED

I agree with nitrous, the only point is that rim should be suitable for tubeless tyres (as all for the past two decades are), should not be damaged (else get it straightened). Bead profiles are not an issue by and large.
Old 21st July 2010, 05:04   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hi Shyam,

Spike
I do agree with spike arrestor. I do use the tubeless on steel rim (OEM) since Sept 2009 and i did not come across through out my 30k kms drive till date.
Old 21st July 2010, 13:10   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Could you post self explanatory pictures of the two different profiles?
Please check out the following link.

Wheel tech - Tubeless tires & Safety rims
Old 23rd July 2010, 19:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

I've changed my stock tubed Bridgestone tyres on the Waggie 2 years ago with 46.5 K on the odo. I've put Bridgestone tubeless on my stock steel rims. So far not a single issue for the past 8500 kms, though a month back the rear right wheel lost air---but there was no puncture. I suspect some kid must have played a prank on me, as even my neighbour had the same issue with one of his tyres on the same day.
Old 25th July 2010, 00:40   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
'Technically' wrong because steel rims are two halves welded together whereas Alloys are single-piece castings!
Steel rims CAN leak at the weld seam; not that it always happens, but the possibility exists.

Tubeless tyres are best on alloy rims for optimum performance and benefit.
Just look any Ritz car except ZXi all these cars are coming with JK tubeless in the steel rims. If it is technically wrong how can the great MUL can sell the Ritz with Steel rims with Tubeless. Please check before telling like technically wrong, which might break the hearts of some people.
Old 30th July 2010, 19:33   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Just look any Ritz car except ZXi all these cars are coming with JK tubeless in the steel rims. If it is technically wrong how can the great MUL can sell the Ritz with Steel rims with Tubeless. Please check before telling like technically wrong, which might break the hearts of some people.
Your point is correct. I also think that stock steel rims that comes with tubeless tyres, will be appropriate for tubeless. Having said that I do not see any reason why steel rims will create problem like 'breaking the heart'.
Old 30th July 2010, 23:14   #130
BANNED

@anupmathur: Never heard of the joints leaking. I do remember in the 1970's there was a question about wire rims. Here the leakage was an issue. The AA of UK advised extreme caution with tubeless tyres on wire rims. I had tubeless in the UK in the early 1970's even then the question of leakage from the rim welds never came up.
Old 15th September 2010, 15:09   #131
BHPian

Air Leak on my new Tubeless tyres on regular rims!

Guys, I had changed my factory fitted 155/70 R13 tube tyres with new 165/65 R13 Tubeless tyres on the same old regular factory fitted rims on my Santro sometime back. my rims seemed ok without any bends anywhere. but i did notice some rust inside them.

now the problem is that it leaks air and i have to fill up air every week atleast or it gets flat. I have already had two flat tyres at the same time because it was unused for a couple of weeks. I also tried changing the valves as suggested by the tyre dealer but in vain. when checked it was found that air leaks slowly throughout the walls almost. the dealer and also my garage guy suggested that I put tubes inside those tubeless tyres to get rid of the problem if I dont want to buy new alloys! I took a second opinion from a different dealer and he suggested that it was a mistake to install the 165/65 R13 tubeless tyres at the first place. and now it can be solved by repairing the rims by removing any rust within and painting it and it should solve the problem and there is no need to put tubes inside the tyres. but I don't think it will work properly as when I got new valves installed the last time, the tyre guy did scrape the rust formed on the borders of the rims but still it didnt work so.

so now my question is how safe is it if I put tubes inside those tubeless tyres. so shall I again exchange those almost new (few months old) tyres again for the regular 155/70 R13 tube tyres?? or is there any other option? please let me know what to do as I am really bugged with this problem.

Note: Mods please post this in the right thread if any and delete this thread. I did not find any right active thread so I started new thread.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th September 2010 at 15:13. Reason: Please use Search before opening a New thread. Thanks
Old 15th September 2010, 15:15   #132
Team-BHP Support

Option 1: Buy a new set of steel rims, they don't cost much.

Option 2: Do a thorough clean up of surface and paint it and refit the tyres, works most of the time.

Option 3: Fit tubes, but then the whole point of having tubeless tyre is wasted.
Old 15th September 2010, 15:25   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Option 1: Buy a new set of steel rims, they don't cost much.

Option 2: Do a thorough clean up of surface and paint it and refit the tyres, works most of the time.

Option 3: Fit tubes, but then the whole point of having tubeless tyre is wasted.
Thanks Jaggu. I did thought of replacing old rims but my garage guy said that it might work only temporarily because these regular rims are not suited for tubless tyres. and I am also skeptical as what if it still leaks like on my current rims as my current rims are also not in bad condition. there is no bend also anywhere but it still leaks. and there is not too much of rust either so. a driver in my building said that these tubeless tyres doesn't work properly on regular rims. he also had similar problem with his owners car and he got them installed with tubes and thats the only solution.

but I also read somewhere on net that it is not safe to install tubes in tubeless tyres as the side walls of tubeless tyres are more thick than tubed tyres and so it causes more friction and the result can be in a burst!

so what should i do now?

Last edited by magikrider : 15th September 2010 at 15:34.
Old 15th September 2010, 15:56   #134
BANNED

@magikrider; I have a similar problem with my Accent which had OE alloys, in excellent condition. One day I accidentally found the bug - the tyres were leaking on the bead. Two tyres were bad, the other three were Ok. Not had any issues with my Santro though. This has steel rims. May be the older Bridgestone beads did not seal that well.
Old 15th September 2010, 16:09   #135
Senior - BHPian

if there is rust or perforations in the rim the air will leak.

i am using tubeless michelins since long time on my stock rims on alto.

no issues at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks