Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2004, 02:47   #1
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

I wish to change my stock tubed tyres to tubeless ones on steel rims. I don't want to upsize or anything because its going to be used by the driver most of the time..so I was wondering if this could be done.
Old 9th September 2004, 02:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Steel and tubelees are a bad combo. Steel wheels tend to bend when you hit a curb or a pothhole hard enuf. This can cause the air to flow out of the tube and will reduce the wheels ability to hold air inside the tyre.

Alloys are very good for tubeless tyres.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 9th September 2004, 12:12   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I used to think that tubeless tyres on steel wheels is a dangerous proposition but Rehaan insisted that the only disadvantage is the tyre losing pressure more frequently.

And it really cant be all that dangerous since almost every car I saw in the states had tubeless tyres. And nope, a majority of the $20,000 cars did not have alloy wheels.

Yes you can do it. Go ahead.

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2004, 12:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

rj
leave the tubes on. anyways most of the time it's gonna be used by the driver and i dont think every and every tyrewalla would now how to handle a tubless tyres
Old 9th September 2004, 12:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

I use my car with steel rims and tubeless tyres. No problems at all. No loss of air nothing. The only negative I can think of is that steel rims are more suseptable to curbing that alloys, but then again, just make sure you park carefully!

These are all myths floating around about tubeless tyres, coz, as GTO said, every car in the US has tubeless tyres and most of em are with steel rims.

Rt
Old 9th September 2004, 12:57   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ Sep. 09 2004,01:25)]Steel and tubelees are a bad combo. Steel wheels tend to bend when you hit a curb or a pothhole hard enuf. This can cause the air to flow out of the tube and will reduce the wheels ability to hold air inside the tyre.
Same thing happened to my friend three days back.
He has Aura not OE steel disk.
Old 9th September 2004, 15:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

umm,

i think no problems with tubeless on steel rims. just be a little xtra carefull while driving....thats it

cheers
Old 9th September 2004, 19:46   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad combo The new honda city comes with tubeless tyres on steel rims!
Old 9th September 2004, 19:48   #9
Team-BHP Support

Hey RJK,

In order of increasing safety it would go like this (IMO)
1-Steel wheel, tubed tyre
2-Alloy wheel, tubed tyre
3-Steel wheel, tubeless tyre
4-Alloy wheel, tubeless tyre

So the only differences between an alloy wheel and a steel wheel when it comes to havng a tubeless tire on it are-
1. Steel is more likely to rust & corrode (compared to alloys), hence the seal between the rim and tire-bead becomes a little worse over time, and hence air tends to leak over LONG periods of time (days). To help counter this you could get the inside of your steel wheels painted with an anti rust/corrosion treatment. That should help delay the rust etc.
2. Steel wheels are more likely to dent at the rims over huge potholes/bumps. Hence the seal between rim and tyre will be lost if your wheel takes any huge blows (ie if your driving like a maniac over bad roads). This can always be hammered back into shape, or you could just buy a new steel rim.
3. Im not sure about this one.....but maybe alloys wheels rim profile (flange profile?) is more suited to tubeles tires for some reason ??

Anyway, to answer ur question.
Tubeless on steel wheels =better than tubed tires on steel wheels. (especially if your car is gonna be doing any prolonged hi-speed travelling)

cya
R
Old 9th September 2004, 20:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Bad combo as far as my experience goes.
I suffered a total loss on an esteem with the engine falling on the road.The car skidded badly on an stretch,and the bonet slided beneath a moving truck ahead.Luckily me and my friend escaped with a few bruises.All this despite having Michelin Certis tubeless radials.
And Sai Service themselves told me that one of the reasons being tubeless on steels which is not advisable.

Old 9th September 2004, 23:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]And it really cant be all that dangerous since almost every car I saw in the states had tubeless tyres. And nope, a majority of the $20,000 cars did not have alloy wheels.
True but, in the US they don't drive on the kind of road we have to experience everyday. I'm amazed that my Vtec Alloys haven't cracked after the kind of torture they've been through.

I still feel tubeless, on steel rims is a no-no, atleast in India.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 10th September 2004, 01:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

it wud be better if u keep an extra tube ,just in case the rim gets bent .as steel rims can get bent .
Old 10th September 2004, 01:44   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (X-Machine @ Sep. 09 2004,18:54)]I suffered a total loss on an esteem with the engine falling on the road.
Hey Xmachine,

could you please be more specific as to what part the steel rims and tubeless tires had to play in this scenario?

cya
R
Old 10th September 2004, 02:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey RJ

One of the worst enemies of steel wheels is rust. My Matiz currently runs on steel rims with tubeless Certis tyres. With my wheels more than 4 years old, its not the problem of wheels bending which is much of an issue, since it can be hammered back into position, but it is the air-tube "nalla" that creates problems.

What happens is, as rust develops at that point, both on the interior and exterior, it tends to cut the rubber beading of the nalla, leading to quick loss of air. It isn't as quick as tubed tyres, but nonetheless if you park your car and come to see it half hour later, the chances are you might see a flat tyre. It is more prominent during the rainy seasons when rust can develop mighty quick on your rims.

Also, during hot days, if you have placed a tube in your tubeless tyre, due to emergency reasons, the tyre might go flat because the tube ends up thinning out leading to loss of air. It also happens during the move due to the shape of tubeless tyres which increases the chance of friction leading to tubes thining out.

IMO, avoid tubeless tyres with steel rims if possible. Its not much of a problem since i have had to change the nalla not more than 3-4 times in the past one year, but its advisable that you put alloys on as well if you want tubeless tyres. Their combination works best.

Revvmaster
Old 10th September 2004, 11:36   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Discussions on this topic have been an eye opener for me in some ways. But the bottomline is :

If you can afford it, go for tubeless with alloy wheels any day. This is the best combination.

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks