Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2006, 19:54   #1
BHPian

Accent CRDi Tyre Upgrade / Replace

Hi guys,
I own a Accent CRDi and it has done 43k so far. And now its time for me get new tyres. This time I decided to go for tubeless tyres (this was after reading several posts regarding the tubeless on steel rims etc... as I dont have alloy wheels now..)...
So when when I am going for tyre change... I thot, why not upgrade the size too?!!...
So here are my questions...

1. Is it possible to fit a 14inch (I am not sure of the model no... i guess it goes like 185 / R14 some thing like that...) tyre on my stock rims (its 13inch)?...
The reason is that, sometime in the future... I would like to get 14inch alloys also... (I dont have money to upgrade both - tyres and rims / alloys at the same time...)

2. If option 1 is not possible, then I would like to know, any extra benefit that 14inch has over 13inch?

3. If I need to upgrade the rims also... what are the things that need to be changed and what is gonna be its approx cost?

regards,
Ant.
Old 13th November 2006, 20:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

No you can't fit a 14" tyre on to a 13" wheel, simply like you cannot fit a 6.5" speaker into a slot for a 5 incher unless you do some surgery/modification!

The tyre & wheel sizes have to be the same i.e. 13" tyres on 13" wheels and similarly for 14". What you can do however is go in for wider tyres and recommended sizes would be:

185/70 R13
195/60 R13
205/60 R13

Of course recommended would be to fit 14" alloys with 185 or 195/60 R14 tyres! All you need to change in this scenario is the wheels & the tyres no other changes are required.

Alloy Rims 14" would cost you around 13-15k
Tyres 14" would cost you around 14-15k for 5.
13" tyres would work out to be marginally cheaper.

In case you are interested in knowing more about tyres, wheels etc. go through this highly useful guide: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Last edited by iraghava : 13th November 2006 at 20:06.
Old 13th November 2006, 22:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

All the 13" upsize possible has been neatly put by iraghava....

Now if u are planning for an upsized rubber on stock steel rims then dont go for 205 rubber....as its a mismatch to the rims which are only 5j...

another option u can call it a cheap jugaad:
Get 185/60-14 Potenza GIIIs rubber n plonk it on brand new verna steel 14" rims....
Old 14th November 2006, 20:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
185/70 R13
195/60 R13
205/60 R13

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
I went thru the link that you have mentioned...
one small doubt thou...
there is a section called "An ideal rim-width calculator"...
over there i selected 195/60 R13 and it gave me 5.5 to 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
Now if u are planning for an upsized rubber on stock steel rims then dont go for 205 rubber....as its a mismatch to the rims which are only 5j...
According to him my rim width just 5J.
so can I put 195/60 on my stock rims?

EDIT:
Also... from the site...http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
I keyed in 175/70 R13 as my vechicle stock tyre
and from "Compare Tire Sizes" section, I selected 185/65R13 and 195/60 R13 and selected option "Show Tires Made in Each Size Option".
For 185/65 and 196/60 it said "no tires found in this size".....
is it because the website doesnt have any data or noone manufactures tires of this measurement?

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 14th November 2006 at 20:12.
Old 6th December 2006, 12:27   #5
BHPian

Hi,
Yesterday, I replaced all my 5 stock tyres with 195/60 R13 Potenza GIII. Did it from Balaji Tyres, JC road in Bangalore. Few Questions...

1. I paid 3200 per tire... is this OK? Did I get a good deal?
2. I asked him about the manufacturing date and he said, Japanese tyres doesnt print the dates on tyres?. Is this true?... If yes, how would I find, when was the tyre manufactured and I am not taken for a ride by he selling me old stock?..

Overall buying experience...
It was really good... the guy was really helpful and pleasant. He even suggested to sell the old tyres for a good price to the street vendors
and also how to deal with those people...

regards,
ant.

EDIT:
Also, he had done free wheel balancing... Is it necessary to go for wheel alignment when you fit new tyres?...

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 6th December 2006 at 12:37. Reason: Added a new Question....
Old 6th December 2006, 16:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
Hi,
1. I paid 3200 per tire... is this OK? Did I get a good deal?
That sounds about right.

Quote:
2. I asked him about the manufacturing date and he said, Japanese tyres doesnt print the dates on tyres?. Is this true?... If yes, how would I find, when was the tyre manufactured and I am not taken for a ride by he selling me old stock?..
Any manufacturer under the rules has to mandatorily publish the date of manufacture on the tyres, so it is certainly there. Look at your tyres closely it will be clearly mentioned & if they are too old then go take this up with your dealer, since rubber tends to disintegrate if stored for long periods of time. The dealer might be trying to take you for a ride here.

Quote:
EDIT:
Also, he had done free wheel balancing... Is it necessary to go for wheel alignment when you fit new tyres?...
Yes, it is absolutely necessary & the dealers usually throw this in for free when you buy a whole set from them. So please insist on getting it done.
Old 6th December 2006, 17:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Any manufacturer under the rules has to mandatorily publish the date of manufacture on the tyres, so it is certainly there. Look at your tyres closely it will be clearly mentioned & if they are too old then go take this up with your dealer, since rubber tends to disintegrate if stored for long periods of time. The dealer might be trying to take you for a ride here.
Hello iraghava......
These are the markings that is on my tyre 195/60R13 84H .... EG3Z..... Made in Japan T0102....E4 (<--in circle) 021873 and on one side of the tyre this was there... EMCE CEC3905 and on another 2 tyres this was EMCE CEC0306 (other 2 tyres i couldnt check because it was inside. I personally checked the spare wheel just to make sure that this was printed only on one side).
from the looks of it... i guess only this number could qualify as manufacturing week and year! (according to car bibles DOT Code)...
am I right here?
Old 6th December 2006, 19:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... this seems a little odd. Let me study the tyres on my mother's car (they are Bridgestone's) & get back to you. As far as I remember the dates were printed in a seperate circle on the tyre. Will post pictures too if possible.
Old 6th December 2006, 23:58   #9
BHPian

Manufacturing dates on tyres are usually in a week-year format i.e suppose ur tyre has 4303 printed on it somewhere it'd have been manufactured in the 43rd week of 2003.
Old 7th December 2006, 19:33   #10
BHPian

Another Update:
I went to another tyre shop near to the place where I stay to do a wheel alignment...(the shop that i bought didnt have that facility :(... )...
during my visit there, i asked the owner of the shop casually... "how do i find the manufucturing date of the tyre"?
he replied "that is only known to service engineers / some one in that cader in bridgestone". he also added "nowadays, manufactures doesnt print the date on the tyre"..
so i asked "isnt that mandatory?"
then he said "they dont do that anymore"....
is this true?

NOTE:
This guy also deals in bridgestone tyres and is no way related to the place where i bought the tyre from....
Old 7th December 2006, 22:12   #11
Team-BHP Support

Hey antonichen the potenzas are imported tyres and they dont have any date marks on them if I remember rightly.
The other ones like turanza do have them in circles as pointed by rags.
I just saw this thread now If i had seen it earlier I would have told you to go to shiva tyres sanjaynagar.
He is directly from bridgestone and his prices are lesser than anywhere else.
Old 7th December 2006, 22:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

@VID6639 what makes you say Shiva Tyres sells tyres for cheap? Any experiences buying from there? I hope you are talking about the same dude who runs the shop behind the Petrol Bunk on BEL New Road.I did enquire with him and other places for my friends car and he was a little over priced

Also I see Singapura on your location. Looks like we stay pretty close, maybe we can catch up sometime.
Old 8th December 2006, 14:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Hey antonichen the potenzas are imported tyres and they dont have any date marks on them if I remember rightly.
Then how could i find out the manufacturing date on them? Do I have to contact the service engineer or someone like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I just saw this thread now If i had seen it earlier I would have told you to go to shiva tyres sanjaynagar.
He is directly from bridgestone and his prices are lesser than anywhere else.
may be next time.... thanks for info anyways...
Old 8th December 2006, 14:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonichen
EMCE CEC3905 and on another 2 tyres this was EMCE CEC0306
I think one is manufactured in the 39th week of 2005 and the other is in the 3rd week of 2006.
Hope im right,Wasavatyres.
Old 8th December 2006, 16:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Antoni - Today checked with my local Bridgestone dealer about the date on the Potenza's & he said that it was correct they no longer publish the dates on the "Made in Japan" tyres because then the customer's used to fight with the dealers regarding the manufacturing dates. In all probability it's almost impossible for you to find the manufacturing date of your tyres.

This is probably because I guess Potenza's are imported in bulk & at times dealer's would have stock of old tyres & the discerning customers would object to fitting them.

Last edited by iraghava : 8th December 2006 at 16:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks