Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2022, 01:56   #46
BHPian

Re: Tired of tyre failures & replacements on my BMW X1 (F48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Make calls to all the top players like Madhus, Sai Iyengar, Millivision, SLNS Pitstop etc.

Someone must have them , whether they are 225/50/18 or 225/55/18!
Hello! We were in touch, he has swapped his front tyres to 225/55R18 Vredesteins at Madhu’s, retaining the almost new Pirelli RFTs at the rear.
Old 21st October 2022, 17:53   #47
BHPian

This is the right thread to post my request.

When I bought X1 xLine 20D last Dec’21 (pre-owned, 3 years old with 8K Kms on ODO), it came with Vredestein Ultrac Vorti (stock size 225/50 R18, 99Y) Non-RFT at front and stock Pirelli RFT at rear. Vredestein pair at front were fresh ones (Oct’21 make) installed by the first owner at the time of selling the car to me.

In the last 10 months of my ownership, I clocked 13K Kms (90% highway and 10% city and town). So car has now done 21K Kms.

Front tyres: Vredestein Ultrac Vorti Non-RFT:
Exact 1 year old. 13K KMS run. No punctures so far and treads are good. No tyre noise.

Rear tyres: Stock Pirelli RFT:
4 years old. 21K KMS run. One puncture at rear left during my last 10 months of ownership. Not sure of any other puncture during previous ownership. Now it is started giving noise which is annoying when I drive just above 40 kmph.

In this condition, I am thinking of changing tyres. What is the best option?

- To move the front tyres to rear and buy new set of Vredestein Ultrac Vorti for front? It should be the cheaper option I think.
- Should I change all 4 tyres now for the uniformity and better grip?
> If I change all tyres, what are the best tyre brands to go in Non-RFT and RFT?
> My car is under warranty. Planning to extend it for 5th year too. In that case, should I buy only RFT?

Note: My X1 model comes with a spare wheel, and I am also having a tyre inflator.

Last edited by vijayk : 21st October 2022 at 17:55. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 21st October 2022, 22:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk View Post

- To move the front tyres to rear and buy new set of Vredestein Ultrac Vorti for front? It should be the cheaper option I think.
- Should I change all 4 tyres now for the uniformity and better grip?
> If I change all tyres, what are the best tyre brands to go in Non-RFT and RFT?
> My car is under warranty. Planning to extend it for 5th year too. In that case, should I buy only RFT?

Note: My X1 model comes with a spare wheel, and I am also having a tyre inflator.
Hi, if you’re happy with the Vredesteins’ performance I think it’s best to go with 2 more of them. Absolutely not necessary to replace 13k km run tyres. Only - I suggest that you fit the new tyres in the rear and retain the front tyres where they are - X1 tends to wear faster on the rear and so if you fit the new tyres there, it will tend to even out with the front tyres soon.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 19:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buy two new Vredestein Ultrac Vorti (stock size 225/50 R18, 99Y) Non-RFT and install them at rear.

Stick to tubeless. Another BHPian Chetan using same brand of tyre on his X1 and happy with them.

Quote:
My car is under warranty. Planning to extend it for 5th year too. In that case, should I buy only RFT?
Buy the 5th year extended warranty but stick to tubeless NON-RFT.

Quote:
It will be a space saver Donut tyre unless previous owner got a full size rim as spare. Even I & Chetan have done the same. Boot floor rises by a few centimeters but you have a peace of find during touring. As space saver has a speed limit of 80 Kmph.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 20:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

Just stumbled on this thread a few days ago. As you might have guessed I also have a BMW X1 with Pirelli 225/50/R18 RFT's. Car has done around 30K kms and is on it's 2nd set of tyres. Since I had secure I claimed and changed all 4 tyres in a span of 2 years. However I installed all 4 together. In less than 5K kms one of the tyres developed a leak between the tyre and the rim. Initially I thought the rim was damaged but we swapped 2 tyres and the tyre was leaking. The other tyre on the same rim was fine. We found some damage on the tyre. Since the damage was internal (where the tyres sits on the rim) and on the inner side, it was not possible that it was damage due to impact. I was at sea and the BMW SA told my wife that the tyre cannot be replaced under warranty. He gave no reason for the rejection. I then asked for replacement under BSI. They told me that if I claimed under BSI, I would loose my NCB. I was earlier told (when I bought the car) that Secure claims do not affect NCB. My wife put one of the old tyres and continued using the car. Anyway I was at sea and didn't get the chance to follow up. Once I came down I was too busy and forgot about it. After reading this thread I remembered and called up the dealer. They tried the same tricks saying the rim was bent etc. They were unable to give an explanation as to why the claim was rejected and why I was not not given a tyre under secure. I have asked them to give me a letter stating the reasons. I'm sure they will not want to do that. Let's see if they agree to some sort of settlement.
I'm anyway not interested in going for RFT's. But 3 good tyres still have a lot of life in them. The old tyre is ready quite worn out. I my just buy 1 new tubeless tyre and put it there.
Old 13th February 2023, 05:04   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I'm anyway not interested in going for RFT's. But 3 good tyres still have a lot of life in them. The old tyre is ready quite worn out. I my just buy 1 new tubeless tyre and put it there.
RFTs are useless for our normal Indian conditions. I cant understand why they are offered as standard. They ought be just an out of the box option at best.
I would not endorse changing only one tyre out of the 4 to tubeless. Especially in a car like a BMW which is performance oriented and meant to be a pleasure to drive and handle. Either you bite the bullet and change all 4 to tubeless tyres OR just buy one more RFT and replace the leaky one.
Though I do believe if you shout loud enough at the dealers place, they will come down off their high horses and accept the fault on the RFT. (Based on your description of the problem, it is possible that the RFT failed. But then, on Indian roads, anything can happen, even to the rim.)

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th February 2023 at 05:05.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 05:56   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Hello. You should never mix RFT and non-RFT tyres on the same axle - please change minimum 2 tyres (left and right).

Go for Vredesteins, which will be cost effective without any performance compromise. Posting a review of a fellow BHPian who made the switch on his X1 (upsized to 235/50 from the stock 225/50 size)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
7. Tyre replacement - RFT to Tubeless (ODO: 30,000 Kms) - 27/12/2021

RFTs and their associated harsh ride were the only low point of this car. The experience had become so bad that I had stopped enjoying the car at some point of time. Fellow Bhpian Ganesh and Dr.AD had suggested changing the tyres to Continental CSC5 RFTs / Michelin PS3 ZP, which I had thought for some time. But eventually, dropped the idea of continuing with RFTs and settled for Tubeless tyres.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th February 2023 at 14:59. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 13th February 2023, 09:05   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I then asked for replacement under BSI. They told me that if I claimed under BSI, I would loose my NCB. I was earlier told (when I bought the car) that Secure claims do not affect NCB.
Surprised to hear such blatant lying! BMW Secure claims do not affect your NCB; they are totally different insurance policies, and the former is not in any way bundled with your main insurance. Only if you claim for damaged tyres under your main policy, is NCB affected. Please recheck and ask for formal documentation mentioning otherwise.

Another thing is check how much your NCB saving is in absolute terms. These days, NCB savings are much reduced as the discount is only on the Own Damage portion, and is usually a lot lower than the (non-discounted) add-ons for these expensive cars.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 12:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Hello. You should never mix RFT and non-RFT tyres on the same axle - please change minimum 2 tyres (left and right).

Go for Vredesteins, which will be cost effective without any performance compromise. Posting a review of a fellow BHPian who made the switch on his X1 (upsized to 235/50 from the stock 225/50 size)
I actually want to change all 4. Buying a single tyre is just a stop gap arrangement. Not a big fan of changing 2 tyres at a time and having different brands font and back.
How much are the Vredesteins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Surprised to hear such blatant lying! BMW Secure claims do not affect your NCB; they are totally different insurance policies, and the former is not in any way bundled with your main insurance. Only if you claim for damaged tyres under your main policy, is NCB affected. Please recheck and ask for formal documentation mentioning otherwise.
I will ask them again.

Quote:
Another thing is check how much your NCB saving is in absolute terms. These days, NCB savings are much reduced as the discount is only on the Own Damage portion, and is usually a lot lower than the (non-discounted) add-ons for these expensive cars.
NCB savings small or large, they should not be affected by what the dealer thinks. I am going to take this matter seriously.
Old 14th February 2023, 19:32   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I actually want to change all 4. Buying a single tyre is just a stop gap arrangement. Not a big fan of changing 2 tyres at a time and having different brands font and back.
How much are the Vredesteins?
Have taken prices from TyreMarket.com which is usually a good indicator of market rates -
225/50R18s - 16k
235/50R18s - 19k (this is what Chethan sir had changed to
225/55R18s - 14k (had recommended this size to 2 of my friends who drive X1s and they are very happy with this setup - the taller sidewalls would give a more comfortable and cushioned ride and less prone to impact damages. One of our BHPian admins also posted some good feedback on this setup)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post

On an X1 we have in the family, recently changed the tyres to 225/55 18 and we are quite happy with it.
I would strongly suggest not to go for a stop gap arrangement of 1 tyre - mixing tyre types on one axle is not at all advisable, plus you’ll be forced to go for 225/50R18s only.

Your inclination to change all 4 to tubeless is right - and I would suggest you bite the bullet and do it right away and go for 225/55R18s (which is also the cheapest size among the options I listed), and trade in your 3 good tyres so that you don’t end up spending too much.

Do DM me if you have any further queries or if you feel I can help in any way.

Regards

Last edited by RubberGuru1113 : 14th February 2023 at 19:39.
Old 5th January 2024, 17:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post

Do DM me if you have any further queries or if you feel I can help in any way.

Regards
Hi

Thanks for those very useful inputs. I bought my X1 in 2022 August. Odo is at 14500 kms as of today after a 1000kms round trip. I feel the tires especially the front ones are slipping away when accelerating. This is happening only recently. The slip will be felt when the accelerator pedal pressed from the standstill and I can feel the wheel slipping and steering also turning to the right or left. It was bad and did a wheel rotation, alignment and balancing. It's slightly better but it's not gone. I can see the tires are kind of worn out to my own eyes. But I could be wrong. They are Bridgestone Rfts. The car was at the closed car park for sometime (few months) after the purchase. Not much used. But from Feb 2023 onwards it's been used well. I'll try to upload the tire photos.

Are they totally gone and need to go for new ones?
Old 10th April 2024, 21:40   #57
BHPian

Hi Fellow BHPians,

It been longtime since i posted on the forum.
I have recently purchased a pre-owned BMW X1 sDrive20d xLine, 2022 June manufactured.

Stock tyres: 225/55R17 Bridgestone RFT.
I was advised by friends to get rid of RFT and change to normal tubeless.
But also purchased X1 on one condition from my 11yr Son that i should upgrade to 18" alloys.

Stock Wheels:

Tired of tyre failures & replacements on my BMW X1 (F48)-a53cabb50d7a4b9d9b35485963fae3d2.jpg

Yesterday upgraded to 235/50R18 Michelin.
Alloys are original BMW make. Costed 50K more than aftermarket alloys.
After exchange, costed me 1.8L.
But still cheaper than BMW accessories quote of 4L for 18" alloys with 225/50R18.

New Wheels:
Tired of tyre failures & replacements on my BMW X1 (F48)-img_3632.jpg

Tired of tyre failures & replacements on my BMW X1 (F48)-img_3633.jpg

My son is super happy. Im loving the ride quality and steering with 235s.

Need advice on what should be the tyre pressure maintained?
kiranvakati is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks