Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2007, 15:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Just confirmed the GIIIs 195/60-14 is Rs.3250 per tyre...
Old 27th February 2009, 17:00   #17
BHPian

Tubeless Side Damage. (Sidewall cut)

Today i observed that one of the tyres(185/70R13) got damaged on the side and it was punctured. so cannot do anything with the puncture kit, they told it has to be replaced. So right now it is running on the spare(tube 165/80R13). The tubeless have run about 25K. so the quesiton is
1) Should i buy a single 185/70R13 ?
2) make the tubeless a tubed tyre and run it till i change them next ? is it a good thing to do ???

Please let me know.

P.S: all(except the spare) are potenza gIII
Old 27th February 2009, 17:05   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Change that one tyre and put it at the back. NOT at the front. Continue to keep the 165/80-13 as a spare.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2009, 17:16   #19
BHPian

dunno about bangalore but there is only one place in mumbai where one can repiar the side puncture of a tubeless tyrethe charges are also quite reasonable.its in opera house.
Old 27th February 2009, 17:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
dunno about bangalore but there is only one place in mumbai where one can repiar the side puncture of a tubeless tyrethe charges are also quite reasonable.its in opera house.
I am also looking for such place in Bangalore. I checked couple of places but they said not possible. One person said check Lalbagh but till now I never went to check there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Change that one tyre and put it at the back. NOT at the front. Continue to keep the 165/80-13 as a spare.
Nikhil any reason of putting at back but not in front ?
Old 27th February 2009, 17:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

1). you do have places on JC road to do it, but I would advise against it. It is not reliable and is sort of ok only if you use the repaired tyre as a spare. Meaning, you use it only for 50 kms or so in case of a flat. Not more than that and not at a high speed. Since you have only 4 of 185/60-13, wha you can do is to buy one more, use it on your car, then get this one repaired and use it as a spare ONLY. You are basically risking you life with these sort of repairs. In my line of work, I've seen quite a few tyre bursts because of this kind of repair job. They basically apply a heat patch on the inside of the tyre.

2). The brand new tyre will have ZERO wear. The other three tyres will have only abt 50% of the tread left. If you combine one brand new tyre and one worn out tyre at the front, you will have major pulling problems. Your car will not go dead straight. If you use it atr the back, it wont cause major problems. I dont think it will cause ANY problems actually.
Old 27th February 2009, 18:21   #22
BHPian

in that case then, i can use the old spare only 165/80-13 bcos it has not run for more than 5k or 10K max. if there is puncture then i can use this for at least sometime. whereas if i repair the old one and keep it as a spare then i will have to keep worrying if i use it.
so i guess a strict no to make the tubeless a tubed one. ;-)
Old 28th February 2009, 18:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
Is it really possible to repair a side puncture on a tubeless tyre. If yes, is it reliable? I really need to know as I have 2 almost new A-drives lying idle in my garage.
Old 28th February 2009, 20:03   #24

Quote:
so i guess a strict no to make the tubeless a tubed one. ;-)
As the sidewall is damaged, its not advisable to use that tyre as the damage will increase with the flexing of sidewall. also i dont think any company make 185/70R13 tube.
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
Today i observed that one of the tyres(185/70R13) got damaged on the side and it was punctured. so cannot do anything with the puncture kit, they told it has to be replaced. So right now it is running on the spare(tube 165/80R13). The tubeless have run about 25K. so the quesiton is
1) Should i buy a single 185/70R13 ?
2) make the tubeless a tubed tyre and run it till i change them next ? is it a good thing to do ???

Please let me know.

P.S: all(except the spare) are potenza gIII
You could also add a tube to the tyre and use it as a spare.
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:00   #26
BHPian

So finally decided to make the change. bought 2 new potenza gIII and put them on the front.(replace the spare also this time- got a good price for it.)
Old 5th March 2009, 09:49   #27
BHPian

Sidewall cut on new michelins

My front-right tyre has a small (but big enough to leak all the air out in munutes) sidewall cut. I am pretty certain, given Michelin's reputation, that I am not getting a free replacement. I would need to buy new tyres.
However, my tyres are ~3000Kms old. Can I get away with replacing just one tyre? Also, where should I put thee new tyre(front or back?)
Thanks

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th March 2009 at 10:29. Reason: Search please
Old 5th March 2009, 11:04   #28
BHPian

i dont think you will get a replacement, not only michellin, any company make.

well if u follow this thread, buy one tyre then you put it at the back. at least i had the advantage of having a lesser profile spare and i could buy a pair. normally changing tyres is recommended as a pair.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:37   #29
BHPian

I know that I wouldn't get a replacement. However, I also know that had I bought Turanzas or something, I probably wouldn't have needed a replacement this early.
Michelin sidewall damage stories have become a joke in the "local, small tyre repair shop" circles.
Anyhow, I am not complaining. I knew it was a risk when I was getting them
Coming back to the topic,so according to you, 3k odd km old tyres needn't be replaced in pairs if I am putting the new one at the back?
Old 5th March 2009, 11:58   #30
BHPian

Yes you dont need to buy in pairs.
Well i had the bridgestone too(potenza is the one before turanza), still there was a sidewall damage. i dont how it happened too. it was a cut in the middle of the sidewall. if i had hit a stone, my alloys also should have been damaged, but it is not !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks